Photo

BG II GemRB - lagging [WORKAROUND use Cheat Engine Speedhack post #17]

38 replies to this topic

#16 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3147 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:26 AM

I very much doubt it, you said it's just a vanilla install.

GemRB - IE anywhere.
Mages needed! Looking for Planescape: Torment testers
Play android version IS NOT SUPPORTED ANYMORE: reported bugs will be ignored! Still looking for builders ...

#17 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:22 PM

I found the workaround for lagging issue with GemRB on BGII.

1) Download  the cheat engine https://www.cheatengine.org/

2) Run GemRB.exe then run your Cheat Engine.exe

3) Click on "Select a process to open" in upper left corner - it's a computer icon should be flashing green/brown/red colors for you

4) Pick gemrb.exe from the list

5) Tick/select the box next to "Enable Speedhack"

6) It will depend on your lag for me selecting between 1.75 to 2.5 value for speedhack function worked the best. If the value gives you still lag or game runs too quick you can always change it midgame while you're playing (TAB + ALT to leave BG2 full screen)

The animations are way more smoother still little jerky but vastly playable compared to unplayable lag. Finally I can enjoy 10 person party mod. :)

Edited by zelazko, 29 September 2018 - 06:26 PM.

#18 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6830 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:18 AM

This just speeds up the game, it doesn't fix the LAG. It would actually make it worse if there was lag. As it would demand more from already strained workhorse. 

Now, if you go back and want to actually fix the issue of lag, you should also perhaps actually say what FPS you set in the actual game to run at, cause I can't see you playing the game at 75 FPS. or 120 ...

Yes, for you to play the game at 30 FPS, you can either set the configuration of the game to be at 30 FPS(probably in gemrp.ini -file), or set the game to run there at 10 FPS, and use the Cheat Enginer to multipy it by say 3.

Don't know, about your case, but perhaps in your case it's better to use the cheat engine, as it's likely that it can utilize the computer you have better than the not-cheat engined one. The reason is, that as the game is probably still ran on one processor, not multiple ... the cheat engine can utilize the power of the others.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 30 September 2018 - 05:49 AM.

Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#19 ALIENQuake

ALIENQuake
  • Modders
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:32 AM

Finally I can enjoy 10 person party mod. :)

AFAIR, you can have 10 party members but the game scripts are checking only 6, also no mod support 6+ Party Members.

#20 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:47 AM

This just speeds up the game, it doesn't fix the LAG. It would actually make it worse if there was lag. As it would demand more from already strained workhorse. 

Now, if you go back and want to actually fix the issue of lag, you should also perhaps actually say what FPS you set in the actual game to run at, cause I can't see you playing the game at 75 FPS. or 120 ...

Yes, for you to play the game at 30 FPS, you can either set the configuration of the game to be at 30 FPS(probably in gemrp.ini -file), or set the game to run there at 10 FPS, and use the Cheat Enginer to multipy it by say 3.

Don't know, about your case, but perhaps in your case it's better to use the cheat engine, as it's likely that it can utilize the computer you have better than the not-cheat engined one. The reason is, that as the game is probably still ran on one processor, not multiple ... the cheat engine can utilize the power of the others.

You can't change FPS in GemRB it is hardocded  like lynx said before.

Finally I can enjoy 10 person party mod. :)

AFAIR, you can have 10 party members but the game scripts are checking only 6, also no mod support 6+ Party Members.

I wouldn't be that sure about it. GemRB engine supports more than 6 objects and you can always ctrl+E your party to flesh out things like banters from time to time.

Edited by zelazko, 30 September 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#21 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3147 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:06 PM

the 10pp mod takes care of fixing the scripts and dialogs, that's why it exists. There are very few occurrences that can't be handled automatically (like level scaling in the final soa fight).

GemRB - IE anywhere.
Play android version IS NOT SUPPORTED ANYMORE: reported bugs will be ignored! Still looking for builders ...

#22 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:43 AM

http://gibberlings3....e=2#entry263526

Maybe my game lagging on GemRB is the known issue with actor speed I think.

http://gibberlings3....172#entry246276

Is there way to implement what khelban said? How would I go about it?

Would it be possible to set those values in GemRB.cfg or gem-baldur.ini?

rwpl7Gd.jpg

Edited by zelazko, 04 October 2018 - 07:24 AM.

#23 khelban12

khelban12
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

Maybe my game lagging on GemRB is the known issue with actor speed I think.
http://gibberlings3....172#entry246276

Is there way to implement what khelban said? How would I go about it?

I do not know gemrb's code like Lynx so i can't tell for sure but i don't think this has to do with your lag. The test i did with extspeed.2da had nothing to do with lag. gemrb uses the picture frame count as walking speed so some monsters (especially when infinity animations were used) were more fast or more slow than they should.

I have a similar setup to yours (no sos, ctb, rot, planarsphere, npc mods, revisedbattles, kit mods, etc but i use all the major mods you use) and do not have your lag. I don't know if that makes a difference but my last mod is lolfixer that supposedly fixes many things.

My setup is on linux and my gemrb version is commit 6f1b497a5a0bda41319a7baaa88a92d881393742 (2018-05-23) so a bit older than latest git.

#24 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3147 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

Err, well that would  be something completely else, just like khelban12 said. You described lag as everyone understands it, so this doesn't fit. I just blame windows.

The speed adjustments in that config are also just for low end machines and most of these degradations have not been reimplemented in gemrb.

But yes, walking speed externalisation is a live todo item, but of course it requires programming and I believe you don't have a development setup.

GemRB - IE anywhere.

#25 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:45 PM

https://youtu.be/Kw12zt8HTpc?t=125

(Sarevko vs. Gorion sequence - slower speed of PC actor in comparison to armor free Gorion is intended by Full Plate And Packing Steel mod)

I recorded mine short playthrough with GemRB so you guys can see for yourself if this is lag or how the engine suppose to run. I also installed lolfixer as khelban recommended.

https://youtu.be/Kw12zt8HTpc?t=95

Few bugs with weapon proficiency description and missing armor/crossbow/quaterstaff descriptions no big deal I can live with those bugs as I know weapon/armor stats almost by heart. I checked and in vanilla non GemRB game those missing and description bugs are not present.

https://youtu.be/Kw12zt8HTpc?t=413

Fight with Hobgoblins and kobolds.

///Edit: I checked my mod setup and vanilla BGII on another PC with Windows 8.1 still the lag is same. So the GemRB with BG II lags on win7, win8.1 and win10.

Edited by zelazko, 04 October 2018 - 08:13 PM.

#26 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6830 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:10 PM

That's not lag... latency in the response of the video games to the player's actions, if you compare this videos 0:50 and then 1:15 and onwords, that's what we call lag... your characters walking speed is horrible, but that's not an in engine issue, your mod config make it more horrible.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 October 2018 - 11:55 PM.

Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#27 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3147 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:08 PM

the missing descriptions are a mod problem. My guess would be you installed an EE-only or a badly ported mod, but that's just speculation.

GemRB - IE anywhere.

#28 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:16 PM

That's not lag... latency in the response of the video games to the player's actions, if you compare this videos 0:50 and then 1:15 and onwords, that's what we call lag... your characters walking speed is horrible, but that's not an in engine issue, your mod config make it more horrible.

No. I get the same speed with vanilla game with no mods. Mods are not to blame here. Even when I crank up the actors' speed with Cheat Engine hackspeed function you still get the (script) lag - delayed dialogue, music hanging in too long etc.

Edited by zelazko, 04 October 2018 - 10:33 PM.

#29 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6830 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:03 AM

No.

Hmm?!? As in, you confirm my conclusion, or do you deny it!

Even when I crank up the actors' speed with Cheat Engine hackspeed function you still get the (script) lag - delayed dialogue, music hanging in too long etc.

But see, that's not what we call LAG !!! Nobody said the GemRB was perfect... did they ? It's playable, and it mostly works.

If you had sevear lag issues, your mouse movement would be what's called radical, aka look at the linked videos 1:15 onwards mouse pointer movement. Your mouse moves like it supposed to move. Every other thing might be delayed, but it's not a Frames per second thing. So you can't fix it with the Cheat Engines FPS hack.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 05 October 2018 - 12:13 AM.

#30 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

the missing descriptions are a mod problem. My guess would be you installed an EE-only or a badly ported mod, but that's just speculation.

I found out what mod was causing it. Specifically it was one component from Throne of Bhaal Refinements called New HLAs Tables for all classes it could be possible that one of the class kits I use is not friendly with Throne of Bhaal Refinements when run on GemRB together.

I listed all my class kits installed for future reference (just for sake of documentation).

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users