Does anyone know the current status of the BWS?

Ser Elryk

You may still succeed to do an install but you need to manually overwrite some BWS issues or even stop the BWS and install a mod or two manually. You can do that and afterwards continue with BWS.

How do you do that? Any time I try to do anything outside BWS and then run the tool, it says "there are some mods already installed, make a clean install first". I would love to be able manually add some mods too!

You may still succeed to do an install but you need to manually overwrite some BWS issues or even stop the BWS and install a mod or two manually. You can do that and afterwards continue with BWS.

How do you do that? Any time I try to do anything outside BWS and then run the tool, it says "there are some mods already installed, make a clean install first". I would love to be able manually add some mods too!

It is been a while since I did my last BWS install, so this comes from memory. When the BWS install (the part where the mods are actually installed) has started, you can pause the install. BWS will finish the current mod until you get the "Successfully installed blalbalbla" and dialogue.tlk saved mesaages and then stops. You can install an addiional mod or two now with launching their respective setup.exe manually - and then select *continue* in BWS.

If you want to leave BWS altogether and return later you can do that if you have not selected the *auto update* mode for BWS in the beginning (this leads to the error you mentioned.).

There is also an option to automatically pause BWS prior to a selected mod - I forgot how it worked, sorry. Maybe someone else still rembers better.

There is also an option to automatically pause BWS prior to a selected mod - I forgot how it worked, sorry. Maybe someone else still rembers better.

There is/was an option in the components menu to pause the install at least for some mods. So if you know which mods have to be installed and what should not yet be, then you can select that, and have the install auto-pause at that point, it keeps the BWS running, but you can install mods manually and then go back to BWS and unpause and continue installing the mods left in the made list. .

There is/was an option in the components menu to pause the install at least for some mods. So if you know which mods have to be installed and what should not yet be, then you can select that, and have the install auto-pause at that point, it keeps the BWS running, but you can install mods manually and then go back to BWS and unpause and continue installing the mods left in the made list. .

A thousand thanks!

$ git clone git@bitbucket.org:jastey/bigworldsetup.git

Cloning into 'bigworldsetup'...

The authenticity of host 'bitbucket.org (104.192.143.1)' can't be established.

RSA key fingerprint is SH.....1A.

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes

Warning: Permanently added 'bitbucket.org,104.192.143.1 (RSA) to the list of known hosts.

Permission denied (publickey).

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists.

Hölp, please.

Thank you, the https worked.

Gavin BG1 and BGII have a different number of portrait choices. I can change the choices in the gavin.ini but how do I change the entries in all the Select.txt(s) and game.ini / PreSelection0x.ini(s) (I guess only changing one is not really helpful)? E.g. in the BGT/Select.txt:

STD;gavin;0;04;1111;
SUB;gavin;1;04;1111;
SUB;gavin;1?1_1;04;1111;
SUB;gavin;1?1_2;04;0000;
SUB;gavin;1?1_3;04;0000;
SUB;gavin;1?1_4;04;0000;
SUB;gavin;1?1_5;04;0000;
STD;gavin;2;04;1111;
STD;gavin;13;04;1111;
MUC;gavin;Init;04;1111;
MUC;gavin;4;04;1111;
MUC;gavin;5;04;0000;
MUC;gavin;6;04;0000;
MUC;gavin;7;04;0000;
MUC;gavin;8;04;0000;
MUC;gavin;9;04;0000;
MUC;gavin;10;04;0000;
MUC;gavin;11;04;0000;
MUC;gavin;12;04;0000;

Also, the Gavin BG2 BGT Hotfix (gavin_bg2_bgt) and fix for BG Graphics Overhaul () are outdated. There are still traces in there, but I don't know what to do with them, e.g. in the file 07_Extract.au3: "If FileExists($g_BG2Dir&'\setup-gavin_bg2.exe') Then DirCreate($g_BG2Dir&'\gavin_bg2_bgt')"

Is there any documentation for this? EDIT: I'll chew my way through the faq.htm and then ask again.

This might sound rather silly, but I think the BWS needs to be changed so that there is no need to update revision numbers and download names every time a mod gets updated. Would it be possible to tell the tool to download from a specific download path - I know the other info is for security etc. but there is no way that for eternity there will be persons doing this painstaking job. I tried to update my own mods (I have it locally) and already lost interest in continuing to do so, as it feels like useless work. (I updated and maintained the linklist at Kerzenburgforum for some time, so I know what tedious work looks like.)

Maybe we should think about sparing work here. There will still be enough to do with updating the mod choices upon installation (subcomponents etc.) and updating the Fixpack and Textpack.

But having to update the versioning every time that changes is really tedious. We have constant download links for most mods now, why can't we use this for automation?

This might sound rather silly, but I think the BWS needs to be changed so that there is no need to update revision numbers and download names every time a mod gets updated. Would it be possible to tell the tool to download from a specific download path - I know the other info is for security etc. but there is no way that for eternity there will be persons doing this painstaking job. I tried to update my own mods (I have it locally) and already lost interest in continuing to do so, as it feels like useless work. (I updated and maintained the linklist at Kerzenburgforum for some time, so I know what tedious work looks like.)

Maybe we should think about sparing work here. There will still be enough to do with updating the mod choices upon installation (subcomponents etc.) and updating the Fixpack and Textpack.

But having to update the versioning every time that changes is really tedious. We have constant download links for most mods now, why can't we use this for automation?

You hit a spot there which is really one of the weaknesses (once a strength - as long as it was properly maintained) of the BWS. It tried to be much more than just a tool to make installations easier: it also wanted to provide bug-free, conflict free installations for all mods (including older, non-maintained mods or mods with authors who are slooooow to fix their stuff). It is all this overhead that nobody really seems to understand or can maintain that is the nightmare rather than the basic functionality.

I have tried (with the help odf the existing descriptions) to add some new mods that are hosted on github to the BWS and I failed bitterly. (And that was for EET where dependencies etc are still pretty easy/straigh-forward compared with the old game...).

In a nutshell - even modders willing to maintain their own stuff in the BWS (not even needing to look at fixpack or version checking etc), seem to be unable. It is a different type of programmer's world, too different from what we do in our mods.

From all the discussions we had, I deduct that modders like e.g. jastey or me would be willing to contribute to a functioning BWS but simply lack the skills to deal with the required programming.

For stuff on github, that's exactly the case. If it did name guessing for normal links, it could never detect when a download isn't working, saving the 404 html page instead. Then, if it doesn't have graceful error handling or it happens too late, the whole build process could break.

It's horrible from a QA point of view. But none of the proposed changes has made it upstream yet either, so my help may have been in vain.

Archived