Is this guide to installing GemRB still accurate?

hkz8000

So i'm using this video guide to install gemrb. Ignoring him using the store version of the app, is the installation guide itself still accurate? I've noticed a few odd things.

• On initial startup of the app I didn't get the option to install GemRB (data) and GemRB (override) nor choose the display size or specify directory.
  • I didn't find the net.sourceforge.gemrb folder in a folder called app-data (it didn't exist on my SD card or internal storage) but within internalstorage/Android/data/ (even though I installed it on my SD card) and it had quite a few missing files. This compared to this on my phone
  • Their cfg file was also a bit different. This is how I edited mine. I only noticed the first two GamePath and CD1 fields were commented out after I entered the wrong path so please ignore those. The game is indeed stored on my sd card (I made a new folder called gemrb since my sd card didn't have one). The other parts of the file i edited where the GameType (pst), GameName (Planescape Torment), CachePath (/sdcard/gemrb/pst/cache) and SavePath (/sdcard/gemrb/pst/).

As it usually does when there's a problem, gemRB boots to the homecreen after showing a black screen for a few seconds. I'm new to this so i've probably made a stupid mistake somewhere or pointed out something irrelevant. Some help would really be appreciated. Thanks :)

That video was a bit problematic from the start. You are correct that path vary with the phone used and that the newer apks are self-contained (no need for extra zips). The demo and display setting stuff was a feature of the custom sdl1 port. Screenshots: the first appears to be from an older gemrb, that is all. The config sounds fine if you didn't screw up any of the paths for your particular phone.

Did gemrb not create a GemRB.log in /sdcard/gemrb/pst/ ?

The most current instructions start here:

http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=install:android

That video was a bit problematic from the start. You are correct that path vary with the phone used and that the newer apks are self-contained (no need for extra zips). The demo and display setting stuff was a feature of the custom sdl1 port. Screenshots: the first appears to be from an older gemrb, that is all. The config sounds fine if you didn't screw up any of the paths for your particular phone.

Did gemrb not create a GemRB.log in /sdcard/gemrb/pst/ ?

The most current instructions start here:

http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=install:android

After some snooping around I noticed a gemrb folder on my internal storage. It had two folders: bg1 & pst. They both only had empty cache folders and and a gemrb text file.

Yeah, that should be the log. Perhaps /sdcard is a link to the internal storage or a mount point.

yeah I made a really stupid mistake. It was supposed to be sdcard1 instead of sdcard. PST's opening video now plays but boots back to the homescreen after its done. That is still a lot better than before though. I think I'll try re-installing the widescreen mod.

edit: Just re-installed the widescreen mod. No change :/

Archived