Moinesse Avatars install problem (too many open files)

Guest dfn

Hi,

I tried installing BG2, ToB, ToB patch, BG2 Fixpack, bunch of various mods, Moinesse Avatars (in that order) and also later BG2, ToB, ToB patch, BG2 Fixpack, Moinesse Avatars.

Both times I got the same error when running the Moinesse Avatars installer.

The command prompt is doing its thing, scrolling, for a very long time, and this is the last thing I see:

{setup-bg2fixpack.exe} Queried (pid = 12844) version = 21000 query done.
Newest WeiDU is version 21000, updating!
WeiDU files in version order:
 [setup-bg2fixpack.exe] version 21000
 [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe] version 198
	Copying [setup-bg2fixpack.exe] -> [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe]: false
[setup-bg2fixpack.exe] WeiDU version 21000
Auto-Updating on behalf of [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe]
	Copying [setup-bg2fixpack.exe] -> [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe]:
Auto-Updating on behalf of [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe] (done)
[Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe] WeiDU version 198
{setup-bg2fixpack.exe} Queried (pid = 12832) version = 21000 query done.
Newest WeiDU is version 21000, updating!
WeiDU files in version order:
 [setup-bg2fixpack.exe] version 21000
 [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe] version 198
	Copying [setup-bg2fixpack.exe] -> [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe]: false
[setup-bg2fixpack.exe] WeiDU version 21000
Auto-Updating on behalf of [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe]
	Copying [setup-bg2fixpack.exe] -> [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe]:
Auto-Updating on behalf of [Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe] (done)
[Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe] WeiDU version 198
ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, exiting!
	Sys_error("Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe: Too many open files")

I close the command prompt and open SETUP-MOINESSEAVATARS.DEBUG:

WeiDU v 198 Log

Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe
Sys_error("Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe: Too many open files")

Then I checked WeiDU.log (this is my second run through, so the order was:BG2, ToB, ToB patch, BG2 Fixpack, Moinesse Avatars):

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings,   Dwarves, and Gnomes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers   and Stalkers: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in  Wrath Hell Trial: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v8
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v8

Any idea on how I can get past this and install Moinesse Avatars? Is there something I need to install/uninstall before installing Moinesse Avatars?

In each case, I get the Sys_error Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe: Too many open files.

I'd appreciate any help.

TIA

The installer is trying to automatically update itself but is failing to do for some reason. You can perform a manual update by navigating to your BG2 directory and following these steps:

1. Delete Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe
  2. Make a copy of setup-bg2fixpack.exe, and rename that copy to Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe
  3. Run the new Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe

The installer is trying to automatically update itself but is failing to do for some reason. You can perform a manual update by navigating to your BG2 directory and following these steps:

1. Delete Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe
  2. Make a copy of setup-bg2fixpack.exe, and rename that copy to Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe
  3. Run the new Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe

Thanks for the reply.

If I make a copy of bg2fixpack, and rename it, won't that just run the bg2fixpack installer rather than MoinesseAvatars?

If I make a copy of bg2fixpack, and rename it, won't that just run the bg2fixpack installer rather than MoinesseAvatars?
Well no, cause you are using WeiDU.exe as your installer, which means that it only takes it's orders from the setup-*modname*.tp2, if it's name is setup-*modname*.exe! Clever, hah?

Now, you should see from your own above post(the first one), that the WeiDU tried to update all the WeiDU.exe's with the most current version of the program, but the ran in to this:

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, the new setup program will install Moinesse's Avatars.

Here's why: the setup programs are all identical. The program reads in instructions on how to install the mod from a separate .tp2 file included with the mod that shares the same name as the setup program. So, the only difference between your Setup-MoinesseAvatars.exe and setup-bg2fixpack.exe files is that the former is an older version of the same program. By manually replacing it, you perform the update that it is trying and failing to do automatically.

Archived