Help With Installation Needed

Gibberer

Twice now I've tried to load the IWD2 NPC mod to my system and twice I've gotten the following:

ERROR: Unable to find DIALOG.TLK in:

dialog.tlk

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure(“Unable to find DIALOG.TLKâ€)

All help would be appreciated.???

Are you sure you are installing it in your IWD2 directory? I downloaded and installed the mod after packaging to be sure that it extracted OK, so if you're getting that error message, it appears that something is wrong.

You don't package it, the modder who makes the archive does that.

I'll write out the download and installation instructions as if you barely know how to turn your computer on. You probably don't need this level of detail, but this way, everything is covered.

I'll assume that you installed the game in the directory suggested by the InstallShield software. If I'm wrong, you can tell me where you did install it and I can modify the instructions.

1. Left-click on the start button on the lower left corner of your screen. A menu should appear. Find "Computer" in the right column and Left-click on it.
  2. After left-clicking on "Computer," you should see a new window open up that lists your various drives. One of them will be OS (C:). Left-click on that twice.
  3. After you left-click on OS (C:) twice, you should see the window change. One of the folders in the new window will be "Program Files." Left-click on that twice.
  4. After you left-click on that twice, the window will change again. You will see a folder labeled "Black Isle." Left-click on that twice.
  5. After you left-click on "Black Isle" twice, you should see the window change again. You will see a folder labeled "Icewind Dale II" (or something like that). Left-click on that twice.
  6. You should see a file called IWD2.exe. Don't do anything with it. You're just confirming that it's there.
  7. Go to the Icewind Dale NPC Project download page and look at the Info Box. Under "Download (Windows):" you will see a link marked "Gibberlings Three." Single left-click on that to download the file.
  8. You will see a new window open that asks you whether you want to Open, Save, or Cancel. Choose Save.
  9. A new window will open. This is where things get tricky. The window will automatically open to the last place you downloaded a file, but you want to download the file to a different location.
  10. Navigate to the directory that you found in step 6 above, the one with IWD2.exe in it. Navigation will work the same way browsing for the directory did. You just have to make sure that you start out with "My Computer." The path will probably be C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II.
  11. Download the mod.
  12. Extract the archive by double left-clicking on it. The installe should take it from there.

You don't package it, the modder who makes the archive does that.

I'll write out the download and installation instructions as if you barely know how to turn your computer on. You probably don't need this level of detail, but this way, everything is covered.

I'll assume that you installed the game in the directory suggested by the InstallShield software. If I'm wrong, you can tell me where you did install it and I can modify the instructions.

1. Left-click on the start button on the lower left corner of your screen. A menu should appear. Find "Computer" in the right column and Left-click on it.
  2. After left-clicking on "Computer," you should see a new window open up that lists your various drives. One of them will be OS (C:). Left-click on that twice.

<...>

Epic win (sorry for being offtopic).

(shrugs) Everybody is good at something. It just isn't always the same thing. As for myself, I can tell you how to make soap from a bucket of wood ashes and a liter of olive oil, but I still need to get out the instruction manual when I want to use the DVR. Every. Single. Time.

I'll be on this soonest, Berelinde, and, as always, I appreciate your generous help.:hm:

the bigg, I admire your sense of humor but Berelinde has worked with me before and is aware that assuming I know how to turn on the computer may be jumping to conclusions. ???

At the save portion I am asked to save in file name iwd2_npc-v4 and when I try to change it to C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II I see a display with the various components of IWD2, and from there I am asked if I would like to replace C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II.exe

Do I want to proceed from there?

At the save portion I am asked to save in file name iwd2_npc-v4 and when I try to change it to C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II I see a display with the various components of IWD2, and from there I am asked if I would like to replace C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II.exe

Do I want to proceed from there?

It sounds you're accidentally renaming the file when downloading it. Berelinde's instructions are advising you to save iwd2_npc-v4(.exe) to the C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II\ folder. When you insert the path C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II into the Save As text box, it sounds like it's taking that to mean you want to save it to the folder C:\Program Files\Black Isle\ under the name Icewind Dale II(.exe). Try inserting this in the Save As text box instead:

C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II\iwd2_npc-v4.exe

Then the file should end up in the right folder, and you should be able to install the mod without difficulties.

About twenty attempts without any success.

It keeps trying to save in folder Icewind Dale II offering such sub-folders as CD2, Characters, Data, Music, Override, etc. with File Name iwd2_npc-v4 and Save as type application and nothing happens.

After multiple failures even saving to any folder it tried to save to destination folder C:\Documents and Settings which led to the original problem.

When I tried C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II.exe the same problem repeated.

When I tried C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale II\iwd2_npc-v4.exe it did not work at all.

And Icewind Dale II.exe is now an entirely separate folder from Icewind Dale II in My Computer/Program Files/Black Isle.

The time has come to make my stand! :D

I have taken many key steps! I have not only turned on the computer successfully but have entered the Internet and even reached the IWD2 NPC Project forum! :hm:

Where it appears someone was laying down barbed wire and land mines until they heard me enter? :hm:

I am now following Mike1072's detailed instructions, coming soon to a book store near you under the title Downloading Gaming Mods For Brain Damaged Lobotomy Chimps. :D

I have completed six of the seven screens, apparently successfully! ???

I shall now proceed to the final step...and...

ARGH!!!

nonononononononono

bangs head on desk repeatedly

:argh::oops::):cry::puke::rant::pout:

Wait a second. It DID work! I've done it! I've done it!

To be more accurate, Mike1072 did it by one remove. :D

It's a miracle! A miracle!

Bereline, Mike1072, thanks!:)

runs off to play

runs back for a moment

I'll be back for other mods in a few weeks.:)

hello?

guys?

Berelinde? Mike1072? Gibberlings 3?

Archived