SCS v31 Release Candidate (Now No. 3) Now Available for Testing

Well, there's also the fact that this v31 SCS release candidate is not really the official one, but made by you, Cam, angel and Mad Mate... while the official one will be at some point updated by; DavidW himself.

The point is that this is not the AI update, but just the support structure update.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Yes, unless the RevisedSCS changes will be introduced to SCS and applied only when SR will be detected.

Difference between SCS RC3 and RevisedSCS now are only in ssl files (files that make up scripts).

Main SCS v30 had a bug that it wasn't detecting SR at all, and Kreso did a great job to change those ssl files to behave like you have SR installed.

I like some of his changes and use them in my personal build, but I think that it was not a proper way to change SCS behavior.

Proper way should be via custom library files in ssl (those didn't work also in v30, but now it is also fixed). Kreso tried that back then, but as it didn't work, he used "direct editing of ssl" solution.

Now, all that bugs are fixed and SCS v31RC3 detects SR properly and uses SR dependant parts of ssl scripts.

So SCS v31RC3 is not only for "without SR".

Only thing, now, that SCS RC3 doesn't do is using new SR4 changes, because it was made for SR3.

I hope DavidW will manage that in new release.

So SCS v31RC3 is not only for "without SR".

Only thing, now, that SCS RC3 doesn't do is using new SR4 changes, because it was made for SR3.

I hope DavidW will manage that in new release.

Are you saying that code from RevisedSCS branch can be installed regardless SR installed or not?
I highly doubt that DavidW will do this. He recently wrote that lot of SR design choices are not as want. Besides it's a lot of work and only the person who knows SR inside-out should do this.
Edited by ALIENQuake

Are you saying that code from RevisedSCS branch can be installed regardless SR installed or not?

RevisedSCS is highly dependant to SR. It was made by Kreso because SCS was not reflecting SR changes. Kreso and everybody else thought it was because of ssl, but fact was SCS never detected SR properly.

Kreso found bug that Refinements was not detected, but didn't know SR and IR was also not detected. So he went changing ssl files so they reflect SR.

Bug was simple install order bug and now it is fixed.

SCS v31 RC3 is not SR dependent. It will detect SR and make scripts according on what you have.

As Jarno said, current v31RC3 is not official SCS version, I would call it "community" bugfixed SCS v30.

I highly doubt that DavidW will do this. He recently wrote that lot of SR design choices are not as want. Besides it's a lot of work and only the person who knows SR inside-out should do this.

Well, I hope he does. He even asked which one should he be using.

I like his vision regarding SCS, and hope he doesn't mind our bug fixing.

Anyway, if he doesn't, like I already said, you can always write your own custom library in ssl folder. Maybe kreso (or some other expert player/modder) come back and write one down. There is great potential there.

I highly doubt that DavidW will do this. He recently wrote that lot of SR design choices are not as want.

I support lots of things that aren't my optimal design choices. SCS has supported SR pretty extensively for years and I'm not planning to change that.

Besides it's a lot of work and only the person who knows SR inside-out should do this.

I suspect I know SR better than anyone else knows the innards of SCS!

Edited by DavidW

Hello everybody,

I installed SCS v31 Release Candidate 3, but for me, the localization has not changed. For example, the description of SkullTrap does not display the new damage-cap. On the other hand, Boo is now in Minsc's inventory (so the mod does work). To test this further, i teleported myself to Gaelan. He correctly removes the increased amount of gold, but in the dialogue he only talks about 20k / 15k. I play the game in German. If that doesn't work, it would be better for me to display the correct English text instead of the incorrect German. Is there any way to fix this?

SCS v31 RC3 is not SR dependent. It will detect SR and make scripts according on what you have.

Good to know, I can deprecate Fixpack method for RevisedSCS.

I highly doubt that DavidW will do this. He recently wrote that lot of SR design choices are not as want.

I support lots of things that aren't my optimal design choices. SCS has supported SR pretty extensively for years and I'm not planning to change that.

Besides it's a lot of work and only the person who knows SR inside-out should do this.

I suspect I know SR better than anyone else knows the innards of SCS!

The intention of my reply was in context of this custom, community-made RevisedSCS "package" and you support for it, not the "general SCS support for SR". Also regarding the SR, I'm fully aware that you are capable of dealing with SR. How can anyone doubt that? I was referring to the fact that constantly track SR changes might be overwhelming and the support from the person who "knows/created recent SR changes" should be expected. Too many mental shortcuts are bad. If I stepped at you toe, I'm sorry, didn't mean to.

Edited by ALIENQuake

I wasn’t offended.

As and when I do a full SCS update, I’ll politely ask the community to stop distributing “revised SCS” and return to managing SR support internally to SCS. I don’t think two versions is a good idea in steady state, for all that it was entirely understandable in 2016 when I was away for ages.

I wasn’t offended.

I'm glad to hear that.

As and when I do a full SCS update, I’ll politely ask the community to stop distributing “revised SCS” and return to managing SR support internally to SCS. I don’t think two versions is a good idea in steady state, for all that it was entirely understandable in 2016 when I was away for ages.

This time I won't speak for anyone except myself: just tell when.

Well, there's also the fact that this v31 SCS release candidate is not really the official one, but made by you, Cam, angel and Mad Mate... while the official one will be at some point updated by; DavidW himself.

The point is that this is not the AI update, but just the support structure update.

I didn’t see this, but for the avoidance of doubt: I am absolutely fine for this version to be released as the “official” v31. I’ve been through the got and it’s all good. I’ll do a more substantive update as v32, as and when.

Ill do a more substantive update as v32, as and when.

Since you're gonna make a "substantive" update, what about stripping the mod of all those components that tweak items/spells?

This was originally proposed by @subtledoctor and I 100% agree. Let SCS be a pure AI mod and let other mods tweak items/spells (e.g., Item/Spell Revisions......)

In my opinion, spell changes are needed for AI, item changes makes game harder so it's fine.

What are you referring to? As I said, if you want to tweak your game, you can install Item/Spell Revisions and SCS can detect those changes and act accordingly......

I mean, are you saying that things like "Improved shapeshifting", "Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility", "Make elemental arrows like BG2 ", "Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll ", "Make Protection from Normal Missiles affect some magical projectiles" and the like are needed for the AI even if you don't want to use Spell/Item Revisions?

Edited by Luke