Item Revisions & BGT

Salk

Hello Demivrgvs & Ardanis!

I thought to open a topic just to provide feedback about compatibility between Item Revision (v3 Beta 1.6 or later) and Baldur's Gate Trilogy.

Anyone is of course welcome to contribute their findings so that the integration between these two loved mods will hopefully improve (it's already very good!).

I will contribute the first discoveries made through a quick check of items descriptions before and after the installation of Item Revisions' Main Component on a BGT platform.

ITEMS TEXT MISMATCH BGT to IR (ITEMS WITH DIFFERENT EFFECTS NOT COUNTED)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) AMUL01.ITM

2) AMUL14.ITM

3) BLUN11.ITM

4) BRAC03.ITM

5) DAGG03.ITM

6) RING06.ITM

7) RING25.ITM

For those items above, the original BGT description should be restored.

As a general note there are some magical items to wear that present this line "Unfortunately multiple protective enchantments of these kind don't stack, and thus no other amulet, cloak, or ring of protection can be worn while wearing this amulet.". My suggestion is to remove it altogether because there are tweaks that bypass this limit, even within Item Revisions itself)

1) AMUL01.ITM

2) AMUL14.ITM

3) BLUN11.ITM

4) BRAC03.ITM

5) DAGG03.ITM

6) RING06.ITM

7) RING25.ITM

For those items above, the original BGT description should be restored.

Can you better explain why? Is BGT overwriting IR's items but not updating the descriptions?

As a general note there are some magical items to wear that present this line "Unfortunately multiple protective enchantments of these kind don't stack, and thus no other amulet, cloak, or ring of protection can be worn while wearing this amulet.". My suggestion is to remove it altogether because there are tweaks that bypass this limit, even within Item Revisions itself)
I'd actually prefer to keep that line for IR's amulets/rings/cloaks "of Protection", because else there would be no mention anywhere of why they cannot be worn together, and Revisions mod strive to give the very accurate descriptions. In general I think a better solution is for patching tweaks to alter the base descriptions instead (that's what we do within IR, but in this particular case we probably forgot - the option to remove the restriction is clearly OP, it's there only because Mike wasn't a "dictator" like me when it comes to these things :D ).

No, Demi. What I mean is that installing IR after BGT, there is a mismatch with the item description of those particular items.

About that extra line warning against the impossibility of wearing more than one magical protection at time, I still think it's not really within IR's scope. The game warns already about it when you try to put more magical protections on.

My opinions on a few of those items:

1) The original description was somewhat unique. In contrast to that, the IR v3 beta 1.6 description tries to describe a fairly generic item with an overly unique story. Moreover, the save vs breath is wrong, as amul01.spl allows one against rods/wands.

3) It's a unique item found only in Durlag's Tower and CtB's remix version of it, and nowhere else. A generic item description does it a disservice.

5) Originally an item with a unique description. Apart from a few mod NPCs, it's unused in a megamod game.

7) That's Koveras' ring of protection, semi-plot item, unique and definately unused by any other cre, are or sto.

I know what your intention with the description for 2),4) and 6) is. But imho having the same description for three different items is a bit jarring, if one considers, that those three may have the same bonuses, but definately not the same shape or form.

10th

10thLich,

you got perfectly my point. Funnily enough it's BGT itself though that messes with the text most. I have sent an email to Ascension64 to inform him about items that are unique/rare in BG1 with appropriate backgrounds turning into generic items +1 or +2. For your own benefit (and slightly OT) here's the list:

1) AX1H03.ITM

2) LEAT07.ITM

3) LEAT08.ITM

4) PLAT02.ITM

5) PLAT05.ITM

6) PLAT06.ITM

7) RING08.ITM (DIFFERENT ITEMS SO OK?)

8) SLNG03.ITM (NI SHOWS THIS ITEM IS MOVED TO SLNG05.ITM SO OK?)

9) SW1H09.ITM

10) SW2H07.ITM (DIFFERENT ITEMS SO OK?)

11) SW2H08.ITM (DIFFERENT ITEMS SO OK?)

As I reported in another topic, IR is partly unfaithful to 1PP v2.70. Here's the difference with the original:

LEGACY MEDIUM SHIELDS (shld03.itm & shld04.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2, the animation is BG2

LEGACY LARGE SHIELDS (shld05.itm, shld06.itm, shld07.itm, shld15.itm, shld16.itm, shld18.itm, shld19.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2

LEGACY LARGE SHIELDS, SMALL SHIELDS & BUCKLERS ((shld09.itm, shld10.itm, shld11.itm, shld12.itm, shld15.itm, shld16.itm): IR colors them all the same while originally they are of different colors

HELM (helm01.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2, the animation is BG2

HELM OF OPPOSITE ALIGNMENT (helm02.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2, the animation is BG2

HELM OF DEFENCE (helm04.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2, the animation is BG2

WATCHER'S HELM (helm05.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2, the animation is BG2

HELM (helm08.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2, the animation is BG2

HELM (helm09.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2, the animation is BG2

HELM (helm10.itm): the inventory icon is BG2, the paperdoll icon is BG2, the animation is BG2

MACE (blun04.itm): the inventory icon is BG2

MACE+1 (blun05.itm): the inventory icon is BG2

ROBE OF COLD RESISTANCE (clck09.itm): the inventory icon is BG2

ROBE OF FIRE RESISTANCE (clck10.itm): the inventory icon is BG2

ROBE OF ELECTRIC RESISTANCE (clck11.itm): the inventory icon is BG2

[ROBE OF ACID RESISTANCE (clck18.itm)]: this is a new item - I retouched BG1 clck09.itm and created a new .BAM for this item which IR can use (if you like)

LEATHER ARMOR:(leat01.itm): the inventory icon is BG2

STUDDED LEATHER ARMOR (leat04.itm): the inventory icon is BG2

WANDS (from wand01.itm to wand12.itm): the inventory icon is BG2

Item Revisions improves over 1PP 2.70 in these cases:

CHAINMAIL: the inventory icon is now BG1

CHAINMAIL +1: the inventory icon is now BG1

CHAINMAIL +2: the inventory icon is now BG1

CHAINMAIL +3: the inventory icon is now BG1

PLATE MAIL +1: the inventory icon is now BG1

FULL PLATE MAIL+1: the inventory icon is now BG1

I decided to give a try and put together a small modification that should do the following:

- Restore BG1 Medium Shield Animations and colors

- Restore some of the BG1 Art for various items

- Restore some of the BG1 Art for inventory icons (wands, cloaks [created an appropriate BG1 inventory icon for the Robe of Acid Reistance], etc.)

- Restore unique text for some BG1 items (ex. The Whistling Sword, the Ring of The Princes +1, etc.) creating duplicates as to not compromise IR BG2 resources

Because of overlapping animation sequences I could not give legacy large shields and legacy helmets their proper BG1 animation. I am sure it is possible to add them somehow but I am no Erephine... :)

The modification requires BGT and Item Revisions of course and can be downloaded here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9_1X7K5KtOcSDhOSFZVV2QtZEk/edit?usp=sharing

I decided to give a try and put together a small modification that should do the following:

- Restore some of the BG1 Art for inventory icons (wands, cloaks [created an appropriate BG1 inventory icon for the Robe of Acid Reistance], etc.)

- Restore unique text for some BG1 items (ex. The Whistling Sword, the Ring of The Princes +1, etc.) creating duplicates as to not compromise IR BG2 resources

Because of overlapping animation sequences I could not give legacy large shields and legacy helmets their proper BG1 animation. I am sure it is possible to add them somehow but I am no Erephine... :)

The modification requires BGT and Item Revisions of course and can be downloaded here: http://www.gamefront...y_Items_Fix.zip

just throw this in the override folder after installation?

The modification requires BGT and Item Revisions of course and can be downloaded here: http://www.gamefront...y_Items_Fix.zip

Was this the thing you were going to e-mail me?

Was this the thing you were going to e-mail me?

A part of it, yes. But I'd rather see it tested by some players to see if it's even worth your attention.

The way things are now, this is only an ad interim temporary solution for something that I reported.

1) AMUL01.ITM

2) AMUL14.ITM

3) BLUN11.ITM

4) BRAC03.ITM

5) DAGG03.ITM

6) RING06.ITM

7) RING25.ITM

2, 4, 6 - they are not unique in BG2, with multiple copies of each available.

1 - IR uses different background... Does it matter? Since there are other items with changed background as well.

3 - seems to be the BG1-only item. Fine to changed the description back.

5 - neither name nor description are changed by IR.

7 - I suppose it can be the "Ring of the Princes", since it is a semi-plot item.

Icons, colors and so forth - I'm afraid, that is beyond my ability to judge.

Let's see...

About 1: yes, I think it matters to change background with no specific reason. The BG1/BG2 background was fine and the item's ability is the same. So why change?

About 2, 4, 6: it is true that there are multiple copies available but they have an unique lore in BG1/BG2. Why remove it to make it generic? I understand that in BG2 a miserable +1 amulet or ring doesn't call for unique lore but it does in BG1 and unmodded BG2 uses the same lore background. I think the identified description of The Protector (amul14.itm), Ring of The Princes (ring06.itm and ring25.itm) and especially Bracers of Death (brac06.itm) should be untouched.

About 3: good

About 5: the difference is that in BG1/BG2 its name (Dagger +2: 'Heart of the Golem') is included in the identified description. IR changes it so that it is no longer there. You move it to its identified name. It breaks the standard. But yes, it is very minor.

About 7: see 2,4,6

About Icons, Colors and so forth: I guess you can let players choose then? As I said, I even made a custom BG1 icon for the Robe of Acid Resistance and I am pretty satisfied with it. Not to mention all the correction made for the shields and helmets... But it's your call.

2, 4 - my point is that two amulets or pairs of bracers laying in inventory contradict the description, which claims they are "the" items, not "a". It is fine to have The Protector and Bracers of Death, but then there have to be a generic version as well, explaining the described phenomenon.

I do know about Boots of Speed and Ring of Invisibility sharing the problem, it is just the fact that I don't pay too much attention to such details during the play that I haven't draw attention to it.

5 - IR did it to a number of other items, which also had their name listed in the description. Plus it wasn't exactly a standard, iirc half the items had their name listed in the 'name' field only.

Icons/colors - you mean to include an option in IR to provide a different set? Seeing how almost every other component already offers some choices, it shouldn't be unrealistic. But anyway, it's something far more within Demi's domain than mine, since all the new graphics are his doing only.

Archived