GemRB + Ipad (specific location BG1.BG1?)

echdareez

Goodmorning,

It's been a long time since I last played any of the Infinity games so I lost track of these. Thinking about that this morning, I thought to look it up if it was possible to play them on my iPad and saw that GemRB was ported to iOS.

As I never use iTunes for my "needs", I resorted to iFunbox so here it goes :

1. installed my GOG copy of BG1

2. zipped the contents to a zip and renamed this to BG1.BG1

3. installed the latest GEMRb using iFunbox

4. copied the BG1.BG1 to the same location as the GemRB.log (%APPDIR%\Documents) as this seems to be the location used by iTunes (App File Sharing)

And here's the problem : GemRB doesn't detect the game. Even after I kill the GemRB process and restart the program again...

So : can anyone point me perhaps to the proper location where I should copy the file? Or have I done something wrong perhaps?

Thanks for any and all help,

/dimi

There is also BGEE for the iPad :D So you can try that too.

About gemrb: it always needs a config file. The config file tells gemrb the game type and the location of the game files.

Sadly, i don't even have an idea what kind of file bg1.bg1 is.

hi Avenger,

Thanks for your reply!

Well, BGEE isn't an option I'm afraid :-( Still running iOS 5.x and as this is the most recent version that could be jailbroken, I never bothered to upgrade to iOS 6.x... And BGEE requires iOS 6 :-( Furthermore, I paid twice already for the entire "saga" : one time for the physical copies, once more for the GOG versions so I don't feel like paying once more to get the same game (if GemRB could be used for that purpose at least)

The BG1.BG1 is just a renamed zip-file of the contents of my BG1 installation. The config files are (according to the text presented in GemRB) created when you install the game? But I'll to unpack the game somewhere and create those config files myself, hope it works :)

/dimi

Thanks a bunch, I've just downloaded the file and had a look. But it seems to be the same as the "GemRB.cfg.newinstall" (found in the root of the APP folder?) ? I'll go through it and see if I can get this working...

Out of curiosity : I still hope someone could tell me why the detection of the BG1.BG1 isn't working as it should... If the detection would work, those config files would be created (with the right settings) automagically?

Love my apple, if I ever get this working I'll whip up a tutorial for other apple-lovers :-D

/dimi

you DONT need a config file on iOS gemrb! you only need this if you want to have your IE games located outside the designated area.

why wont you just use iTunes like the directions say? you should be able to upload files to gemrb even if you installed with iFunbox right?

most people who have this problem is because the file is actually labeled "bg1.bg1.zip". You manually uploaded the file and probably did so as root and maybe gemrb cannot see it due to permissions?

anyway none of us (the developers) have an iOS device so I'm not sure how to trouble shoot other than tell you to follow the directions and read the log.

Edit: also do yourself a great favor and download the build uploaded this morning.

SyntaxError : thanks so much! You've set me off on a troubleshooting session and I don't know how I came up with it, but I came up with the cause of the problem AND a solution. Rather stupid if you ask me...

So : keeping the suspension going on for a bit : I don't like iTunes because it's a bloated piece of software. And it doesn't work like a regular Win-software but it's like having a stubborn madman under your keyboard/behind your mouse that you HAVE to use to get things done on your iOS-device. But... I did try to first check the permissions with iFile (set to full for both user/group and world), copied the file with iTunes (desperate to get this working) and as I just saw your update, also tried installing build 506. The game was still not detected.

And then... *drumrolls* An idea hit me... Went back to iFile, renamed the file from "BG1.BG1" to "BG1.bg1" and it got detected :-) Shame on me! Seems it was caused by the uppercase extension?

Thanks guys for all the help and to all of the devs : keep up the good work and my genuine thanks for GemRB : it does look phenomenal and it's strange to be able to just bring BG along with me while I'm commuting to work :-)

/dimi

cool. hope it still works well. we havent heard anything about the ios version in some time, but last i knew it worked pretty well. some minor multitouch bugs i think still linger.

I'll update the wiki to emphasize lowercase ext.

Edit: FWIW iTunes 11 is much less horrible. (maybe not enough for you)

It seems it does, I don't have the time here to give it a "full go" (another hour to go of "work" time) but I've walked around a bit, talked with people, and so on... I did see indeed some bugs (not sure if they are related to the iOS version) : when creating a new character, the plus and minus buttons are properly activated when you touch/click them but the graphics are off (plus button stays down eg). And in the city itself : if you touch and drag, the selection rectangle doesn't disappear. But the multitouch dragging (to scroll around) works splendidly.

Strange to see that I'm one of the few who's still dabbling with this :)

It seems it does, I don't have the time here to give it a "full go" (another hour to go of "work" time) but I've walked around a bit, talked with people, and so on... I did see indeed some bugs (not sure if they are related to the iOS version) : when creating a new character, the plus and minus buttons are properly activated when you touch/click them but the graphics are off (plus button stays down eg). And in the city itself : if you touch and drag, the selection rectangle doesn't disappear. But the multitouch dragging (to scroll around) works splendidly.

Strange to see that I'm one of the few who's still dabbling with this :)

the selection rect not disappearing is related to touch input and it doesnt happen all the time. i never bothered to track it down because all the iOS users vanished and the Android build still doesnt use touch events :/ hard to justify fixing bugs that dont effect anybody ;)

the +/- button issue could very well be touch related too. probably click and hold is being a right click there when it shouldnt be.

keep prodding me each week until they are fixed.

Btw you can workaround the selection rect bug by clicking on a character when it happens.

I tracked down the problem with touch and hold buttons. the coordinates are not being scaled to the resolution so they are effectively x2. D'oh.

that is why the button has the held down appearance yet does not continue to perform its action.

i should be able to have it fixed this week.

@ Avenger : no worries at all :-) Hope I didn't come off as a 'complaining' guy / it's just that I am stubborn when I encounter a problem, and I always try to know *why* it happens and how to solve it.

@ SyntaxError : prodding? Nah :-) I think you have better things to do with your time than following up on the last guy on this earth who's fiddling around with the iOS version of GemRB ;-) But it's appreciated! Concerning that workaround : indeed, clicking somewhere else (eg: on a character) will get rid of the greenish selection box. And for those + and - buttons : already fixed? Just after me reporting it? Impressive indeed! If I find some time this weekend to launch GemRB and play some BG1, I'll certainly post my findings in here (perhaps it can help?). As long as it keeps on snowing over here and I can't go out for a hiking / geocaching session, I think I'll be stuck to my ApplePad3, searching for the Throne of Bhaal :)

yes the latest version has the +/- buttons fixed. I have also found that the selection box bug only happens with quick selections. If you keep your finger on the screen for a second after drawing the box it doesnt happen, but anytime you make a quick swipe to draw a box it persists.

OK both problems are fixed in the latest build. turns out somehow finger motion events can have 0 fingers (seems like a bug in sdl). so i just treat 0 fingers like 1 and the selection bug is fixed.

Archived