GemRB + Ipad (specific location BG1.BG1?)

echdareez

Goodafternoon SE!

I don't know what to say : I can only send out my words of praise for the swift fixing :) But seriously though, hope you don't feel like you "have" to do it for me (as I reported these?). I still am wondering if these games can be easily played (and more so : enjoyed as a game) on a tablet (or if I just should continue again on PC)... As I'm missing (eg) the spacebar to pause the game (perhaps there's such an option but I still have to find some documentation for this iOS-GemRB version) eg. But then again, the dragging with 2 fingers (to scroll around) is very handy...

But anyway, I've just downloaded build 552, installed it to my iPad and will be trying it out again (creating a new character eg). And also selecting multiple chars...

Just some ideas after giving it another go this morning, not really playing a "real" game but just going around and jotting anything that I might notice (not necessarily "bugs" but also ideas and remarks) :

1. the intro : some graphics corruption on the right - completely neglible of course

http://www.imagebam.com/image/45c60c233919790

2. it's rather difficult to select the proper response when talking, it seems to me that 'longer' lines are not properly defined as a "pushzone"? Not sure how to explain it properly... If I carefully push on the left side of the dialogue options, it usually works. If the line is longer than the other options and I select on the right part, I think I had a case when another option was selected. And no, I don't have chubby fingers :-) Perhaps add an option to make the fonts bigger?

3. there's a missing crosshair (when moving) and I noticed a portrait graphics corruption :

http://www.imagebam.com/image/4a3c3e233919791

4. not sure if this is a bug or a 'feature' (as it's a long time since I played these) but it concerns Shank, the first (laughable) assassin you meet. Is he (she?) supposed to follow you outside? Also : Shank was hit several times by my mighty newbie-staff (damagepoints exceeding 10) and regularly felt down unconscious during this process. Wasn't he supposed to just die?

http://www.imagebam.com/image/1f1f6c233919793

5. shops in general and more precisely : the store in the temple in Whitestone : keyboard immediately pops open if you click on the 2nd option where you can enter a value and also have an option to + and - the value. Perhaps only open the keyboard when you click on the value?

Weekend is calling, I'm off to home sweet home. Have a nice weekend!

/dimi

you can pause the game by clicking the clock in the lower left corner.

Here is the touch input documentation for GemRB

I cant see any "corruption" in any screenshot. are you using widescreen mod?

Here is the guide to using TTF fonts on GemRB

use that to get bigger fonts. on iOS just copy the font into the documents folder wehere the cfg files are.

Alternatively you could use the software keyboard for selecting dialog options.

4 is completely unrelated to iOS so probably post it somewhere else. sounds like you were using your fists.

5. this is non trivial and probably wont happen. just use the keyboard to enter your value or use the keyboard hide gesture or button.

@SyntaxError : splendid, the 3 fingers swipe to hide/show the KB work and it seems all the other finger/keyboard shortcuts do too...

And my apologies for speaking about the graphics "corruption" when there wasn't :-) The reddish hue over the portrait is indeed the remaining life points, thanks to Avenger for the correction ;-)

(yeah, it's a long time ago since I played these - mea culpa and my apologies!)

TTF Fonts : also my thanks, copied the 'consola.ttf' (for testing) to the Documents folder where my BG1.bg1.cfg is located, in the Paths section, I saw that there was already a variable CustomFontPath = ../Documents/ defined, restarted GemRB, didn't notice any changes in the dialogue text, copied the consola.ttf to GemRB.app\override\bg1 and also searched for a 2da file : the only file present with that extension was the efftext.2da, the documentation says there should be a fonts.2da present which I did create myself and this contained :

2DA V1.0

NORMAL RESREF NEED_PALETTE FONT_NAME PT_SIZE STYLE COLOR

0 NORMAL 1 CONSOLA 14 0 0xffffffff

1 INFOFONT 1 CONSOLA 14 0 0xffffffff

and so on...

After creating this file, GemRB crashed to the homescreen after I restarted it...

4. I was using the staff I think but I'll retry it again this evening...

5. indeed, as you said : non trivial and no issue whatsoever :-)

@ Avenger : I've set the feedback level to 0 instead of 3 and still the same -> I did notice though that if I move somewhere and I quickly drag a bounding box around an area that includes the crosshair 'end location', that the crosshair is being shown in the box... So it's there somewhere -> problem with the Z-order of the elements?

Finally, in closing and after fiddling some more with this : stumbled upon the Video Parameters section and tried to change the resolution. Initially, didn't touch this section :

# * 1024x768 (bg2, iwd:how, iwd2)

But I changed this (completely below) :

Width = 1024

Height = 768

Left icons were visible, the right bar was "under" the main screen.

Enabled the above line :

* 1024x768 (bg2, iwd:how, iwd2)

But still the same...

All the best and cheers,

/dimi

you dont want to create your own fonts.2da file at all. you want to edit the already existing one inside the gemrb.app bundle.

gemrb.app/Contents/unhardcoded/bg1/fonts.2da i think is the path. change the "name" column and not the "resref" column.

BG1 doesnt support 1024x768. hence the (bg2, iwd:how, iwd2 comment). just leave it at 640x480 and let the ipad scale it up to fit the screen or apply the widescreen mod.

If you read the wiki you can see at the bottom of the page that mouse cursors dont work at all yet.

goodmorning,

Indeed, it was under that path, modified that one and it worked!

And my apologies once more, even though it was specified, I thought (mistakenly) that this was only for the GUI enhancements... Don't ask :-) But I would never have thought that the widescreen mod could also be applied for GemRB specifically so I recopied the BG1 data files to my HD, applied the widescreen mod for 1024x768, recopied the files and there was everything! Superawesome :)

Well, I did read that wiki but mistake #Lost_Count, I was thinking that the mouse cursor was only the bit that "moves" around (the mouse pointer so to say) and not the crosshairs on the ground. Oh well, I can live without it I think :)

thanks again for all the help!

/dimi

Well, I did read that wiki but mistake #Lost_Count, I was thinking that the mouse cursor was only the bit that "moves" around (the mouse pointer so to say) and not the crosshairs on the ground. Oh well, I can live without it I think

are you talking about the target reticles? those are certainly available on iOS; check your in game preferences section under "feedback".

Archived