Kossuth?

Guest Polarbear

It is no coincidence when various gods have names similar to that of various pantheons, or are just variations of them. Some, like Mielikki have been mentioned...Oghma was a god of Celtic myth, while Tyr was in the Norse pantheon.

Part of the official explanation is that sometimes groups of humans appeared in the Forgotten Realms (much like the inhabitants of Mulhorand did) and sometimes brought worship of various deities with them. So, in various waves, this is where some of the deities came from. Of course, there was much competition, so some disappeared, subsumed, or killed in the intervening years (such as Herne the Hunter by Malar...and Herne being another Celtic entity).

By the way, PolarBear, I'm also from Hungary. :) I can usually be found in this forum or at Black Wyrm.

Same here. And to answer your question, we are both modders taking part in various active projects and in some cases, released mods.

T.G.Maestro is a hungarian as well. He can be found frequently at Forgotten Wars.

-Galactygon

Yes, I already know TGM, he has succesfully convinced me to wait with my next game until Refinements v2 comes out...

Btw, am I the only one of us who found this Kossuth diety in FR strange enough to post then? Must be because I am not really familiar with the Forgotten Realms as a whole.

Nightmare: Yes, but then again they are probably named after Lajos Kossuth. It is even possible that those places were founded by hungarians (as I hear more hungarians live in the US than in Hungary (but many of them donesn't speak our language anymore, already born in the US, etc.)).

Bri: Again Kossuth is not a god and he is not from some mythology. In fact ask anyone in Hungary who has already finished primary school: every one of them will be able to tell you who Kossuth was.

RigRob: Yes, something like that I could imagine aswell. A Kossuth-flame association is fair enough.

Nightmare: Yes, but then again they are probably named after Lajos Kossuth. It is even possible that those places were founded by hungarians (as I hear more hungarians live in the US than in Hungary (but many of them donesn't speak our language anymore, already born in the US, etc.)).

I never said they weren't.

Hey, maybe there's a language in the ForgottenRealms universe from which the name Kossuth is made. Maybe 'kossuth' means something. Just like how it happened in Tolkien's literature with the elvish area names such as Moria or Region. ;)

Moria - I've heard it somewhere else, maybe in religion(?)not sure. Region's selfexplanatory.

So, while it may be indirectly named after Lajos Kossuth, the writer could have easily picked the name up from the Kossuth county

I never doubted that the naming might have been indirect, e.g. based on a county name.

Making up a name like Kossuth totally on your own is not something too probable though, not because of the syllables but because of the number and combination of these letters. As everything, this has some chance too but very very little.

Anyway, welcome to the modding community PolarBear! ;)

I guess I should have been clearer. I didn't mean that Kossuth was a god, but the Forgotten Realms IS replete with borrowed references from 'real' history...not just in mythology.

Of course, often enough people also pick something from the real world because it sounds 'good'. No big deal either way...

I'd like to take this moment to announce the new Revolutionary of George Washington kit for the next release. ;)

Great news! Will this kit have weapon specialization in flintlock muskets? And the racial enemy will be the evil & tyrannical British, right?

;)

Uhm, back to topic...most of the fantasy worlds I'm familiar with use a lot of names taken from real world histories and mythologies. Games do that, too. For example, in IWD2 (if I remember right) there's a whole village full of people with Finnish names.

So maybe Kossuth is just a coincidence, maybe not. In any case, although he was without doubt a great man, I don't think many people outside Hungary know very much about him. And the US is indeed full of towns/counties named after famous people (Lafayette, for example - there must be a few in every state! ??? )

Oi!

;)

More on topic, I hear a lot of players don't like the name Bane because it has too many connotations with the same word (not used as often now) which means enemy. And the same with Helm, I guess.

Archived