Opinions and suggestions for future versions

Wisp

So your proposed restrictions would only apply to entries using the Ident parameter, correct? If so, those restrictions seem fine to me.

Just to make sure there would be no problem doing things like this:

(bg1item.2da - remove ring from early area hidey hole):

ring06   blank       ar2800.are   26   13    x   100%

(bg1location.2da - 10% to include same location for different tier):

2       x1  container3       ar2800 x  10% (or however the inclusion formatting would be)

Note that in this case the item should still be removed and added to tier 26, regardless of the result of the check for the same location. That's the idea, anyhow.

If doing this would not be possible even without the Ident link, then perhaps the idea would not be as useful as I proposed.

Yes, assuming x1 is a valid tier, that would work as you suggest. There'd be nothing stopping you from adding an Ident location with a small drop rate (assuming it's a reusable location), but in that case you'd have the small drop rate in addition to the Ident'ed item (assuming it's not randomised).

I'd like to see an additional parameter added to the item and location lists files which is simply a percentage chance of including (or excluding) the given line item/location.

This feature is now done. I'll be testing the rewritten code a while longer before I release a new WIP version.

The current version's shipping an old version of ssl.pl, and thus systems with new version of Perl chunk on it for some reason (happened to me on OSX 10.10 as it has v5.18.2 installed by default). You can grab SCS's current one, which works perfectly.

I know. As of some version, Perl is stricter about formatting. A fixed version will be included in the next release. Thanks for the report, all the same.

Eventually, are you going to add more items? I mean, going up to 100% of non-generic (like swords +1/+2/+3) and not woven into the story (like Carsomyr) items?

(I understand that I can do that myself, just want to clarify whether it's a possibility).

Would you be interested in contributions, if any?

Feel free.

And another question - do you think it'd be a good idea to add a combined mode? That is, randomize what's possible with scripts, and the rest with weidu?

I can't say I'm immediately sold on the idea. I can foresee several real or potential problems right off the bat, but such a mode would perhaps be feasible. I'm not in a good position to estimate how feasible it would be, or how much work it would entail, however.

I love Item Randomizer! Thanks for your hard work on this, Wisp!

If you're still taking feature requests, how hard would it be to randomize the green scrolls in the carnival area? That would really shake up the early game for those of us that abuse the basilisk xp farm.

I've never written any mod code before but I'm considering trying to teach myself for this purpose...

Thank you for your wonderful work on this, Wisp!

Here is my suggestions:

1. Some mods change/replace the creature(s) which item may be assigned to, e.g. Firkraag by Revised Battles, or one of the Jae'llat family by SCS. It would be great if Randomiser can recognize those.

2. The component: randomize with in-game scripts in v6.8 really causing the game slow down, and sometimes even making item lost.

How about place the block of summon creatures with scripts to the top of ar0602.bcs, add a check to make the game halt until all ramdomization is done? I haven't installed the v7 yet, if scripts are already changed, ignore this, please.

Edited by c4_angel

Thanks for the kind words. It's very belated, but green scrolls have been put on the to-do list (which at this rate, I guess, means they might one day, many years from now, may be randomised; but I promise I'll try to make an effort to do better).

1. Some mods change/replace the creature(s) which item may be assigned to, e.g. Firkraag by Revised Battles, or one of the Jae'llat family by SCS. It would be great if Randomiser can recognize those.

Valas Jae'llat is already accounted for. For the rest, I can only account for those I know of, and Firkraag by Revised Battles was not one of them.

2. The component: randomize with in-game scripts in v6.8 really causing the game slow down, and sometimes even making item lost.
How about place the block of summon creatures with scripts to the top of ar0602.bcs, add a check to make the game halt until all ramdomization is done? I haven't installed the v7 yet, if scripts are already changed, ignore this, please.

Most of the issues with Mode 1 are technical engine issues which have no (IMO) satisfactory solutions (or they'd be implemented already). The freeze/slow-down is one of those. It can be made less severe by making the randomisation less parallelised, but that, in turn, makes the total time needed to complete the randomisation (much) longer. But how are items lost? Does the randomisation not finish in time? (I assume there is some form of dungeon-be-gone-ing in that case.)

Halting the game (or rather, the party members) would be a rather intrusive thing to do. I'm not fond of the idea of doing it. If you are sufficiently aware of the issue to not be freaked out by the intrusive measure, you should be sufficiently aware to stay put until the randomisation is done.

Very great. Thank you.

Firkragg issue doesn't matter much, I can check the spoiler and make it right myself.

I don't know how items are lost, it just eventually happens. No dungeon-be-gone there. I'm pretty sure have cleaned everywhere, then check the global variables and found one or more "FLxDONE" variable missing. Have to manually call the FL creatures to fix that.

There is one more question, will you make much change to the tra files in v7? If not, I can make a Chinese translation to that. Actually there is already a part of it finished, only related to the Mode 1 of v6.8.

Edited by c4_angel

There is one more question, will you make much change to the tra files in v7? If not, I can make a Chinese translation to that. Actually there is already a part of it finished, only related to the Mode 1 of v6.8.

There will a few more component names and probably some new dialogue for Cromwell. Maybe other things, I don't have this whole thing planned out. But feel free to submit you translation anyway. 99 % complete is better than none available.

As far as I know, there are no technical issues. Item Revisions moving items and whatnot is no problem.

There might be the odd balance thing, if Item Revisions noticeably changes the power levels of some item compared how I have ranked it in Item Randomiser and if I haven't accounted for Item Revision's change. Say, if Item Revisions were to change the Ring of Efreeti(?) Summoning to be a good deal better, you could end up picking it off the corpse of some comparatively lowly enemy, even though, considering the power of the item, it would be more balanced if you were required to put in more of a fight to obtain it. It might also cut the other way, if Item Revisions nerfs items. In the specific case of the Ring of Efreeti(?) Summoning, it's not a problem, because I have accounted for Item Revisions, but for all I know, there are items that are not yet accounted for. It might also not be noticeable unless you are closely examining things.

Hi guys,

First of all, I want to pay a tribute to the work of Wisp, for this mod is very important according to me, especially as I went through the game dozens of times. It helps renew the experience.

Good job ! 👍

As this topic is about suggestions, please allow me to give mine.

According to me, the main issue I meet with this mod is the randomisation sometimes (ofter...) give items to monster or NPC which cannot use them.

Example : I lately played BG1 here are the disappointing randomisations ;

- Archmage robe on the Gnoll in Tazok's tent.

- Ring of Holiness on a mage

- Gauntlet of ogre strength were in Ramizath's inventory ; a mage

- Full plate mail +1 on a mage

- Ring of arcade on Drazik (fighter)

- The best swordsman of the sword coast (forgot his name) fought with a flail +1...

This is just a sample of the weird repartition of the items I noticed.

My suggestion is that there should be a list of items reserved for fighters, mages, priests etc... and randomise them among the creature / NPC who actually can use them.

I don't know how much work it represent, but for me this this is the main limitation I see in this mod.