Neeshka's Romance Updates

Okay, finished coding the talk 25 and sent it to Tchos who is kindly building the trigger to show me how it's done! Now, the slow part - re-learn how to play and play my way to the next talk. Printed out the list of the remaining talks, so I can stop and code/test every time each comes up. :)

Thank you! Tchos kindly written the script but I so far was unsuccessful testing it. Sorting it out now. Unfortunately, it still takes me a good 5 minutes to walk from the Blacklake to Sunken Flagons in the game. Am pathetic. :( I will repeat again, that having have played KOTOR2 with RC and SWTOR... I won't mod again. I can never match the outstanding, awe-inspiring quality of these new games. And I haven't even yet tried DA or ME.

SWTOR at least lacks the on the fly changes one can make in the soft structure of the NWN2 (I gather DA was moddable?). You could change character appearance from day one... I do miss that openness to the user in SWTOR. I think I have been posting impassionate pleas to Bio/EA for more companion customizations for a few weeks now ('cause I am that one weird crazy woman who loves alien males, so you know my dirty secret now, lol!). But KOTOR2 with RC, was the only game I played so hard and fast I didn't want a single comma changed - granted after the talented and awesome modders picked the slack after Obsidian. And I was modding longer than I was clean-playing probably.

DA:O is moddable, yes. I modded that game before I started playing and modding NWN2. Compared to NWN2, it's more limited, has no dynamic lighting, no day/night cycle, a barely-working baked-shadow system that causes more headaches than NWN2's walkmesh, a fraction of the assets and resources to mod with (creatures, placeables, texture amounts, etc., both with, and without counting custom content), a less-developed and more limited dialogue system, etc.

It has better animation, better movement and pathfinding, arguably better graphics, and a dynamic face creator, etc. It's also more oriented toward cinematics, which may be a pro or a con depending on your preferences.

On the whole, in my opinion, the added benefits don't make up for what was lost. When I learned, after playing and modding DA:O, that NWN2 was a party-based game and not a solo hero game with uncontrollable henchmen like NWN1, I tried it out and was so delighted by how much more I could do in it, I made it my home, and despite playing many other RPGs, I have yet to find one that has so many of the features I want in a game, and such freedom in making new adventures for it.

There's actually a great mod for Dragon Age Origins that adds another companion with all the frills you'd expect. There's also at least one very good quest mod, then, uh, a bunch of ones that weren't as interesting.

Unfortunately, Dragon Age II is barely modded save to change characters appearances (anyone remember the blond Isabella flame wars?). And Mass Effect is hardly modded at all.

If you want modding though, you can't beat NWN2. But... I don't know. I occasionally get ideas for NWN2 mods, but then I think of painting scenery and want to cry. Maybe if I did a mod that took place entirely indoors so I could just use tilesets...

I've probably played that companion mod and the quest mod you're thinking of. I've played a lot of Dragon Age adventure mods, and many of them are good fun.

I love sculpting and texturing the scenery, personally, but if it's not your forte, you could always use one of the many nice pre-made exterior areas ready for use on the Vault and elsewhere. "Just add encounters" one series is called. :)

Yeah, my problem more with lots of scripting.

Yay, Tchos script works perfectly! My dialogue code is crap though, I must have been using link to the main question node incorrectly. Will start re-coding tomorrow.

I've probably played that companion mod and the quest mod you're thinking of. I've played a lot of Dragon Age adventure mods, and many of them are good fun.

Heh, quite possibly! We're a bit off topic, but I was thinking of Ser Gilmore as the companion mod, and the quest mod I was so fond of was Alley of Murders. I'm about to start a new Dragon Age playthrough, I think: were there any quest mods you would suggest?

More on topic, I'm always ready to test and proofread if you get Neeshka working, Domi. :) I've always liked her, though she does have a bit of that little sister thing going for her.

We're a bit off topic, but I was thinking of Ser Gilmore as the companion mod, and the quest mod I was so fond of was Alley of Murders. I'm about to start a new Dragon Age playthrough, I think: were there any quest mods you would suggest?

Yes, there are, but I agree it's off-topic for the thread, so I'll take it to PM, or else move it to a DA:O thread if there's one here. :)

Folks, honestly, no worries, am always up for a good chat in whatever thread. TY for suggestion to test Twani! I am not going to call for testers till I code the whole thing because I am too slow to both code ahead and fix backlog. With the low key nature of the mod, I will most likely open beta the thing.

Tchos, good news is that linking is Okay, bad news is that dialogue triggers twice in a row, I sent you a quick mail with a Q to see if you approve of my quick and dirty fix suggestion.

Okay, other than that, I found where I was in the test game. I was about to go look for the Escape Tunnel and have Dwarven Scouts as well on the map. I need to go through the Walkthrough to see which one brings me closer to my next dialogue to code. I have Khelgar is a King reaction and the Zhiaeve joining reaction. I really want to be able to code either with Tchos script template to make sure I can do it. I also need to add the prompt for repeating the Heroes of NWN talk to the PID (will do today, that should be easy) and pull the Script in the modding folder to figure out what's on it.

Yep, hands full!

Tchos, good news is that linking is Okay, bad news is that dialogue triggers twice in a row, I sent you a quick mail with a Q to see if you approve of my quick and dirty fix suggestion.

I think I have a solution, and you'll have it soon.

Archived