hello - a plot question for this mod's veterans

mshenko88

I am planning to play a new BG EE trilogy (for the first time in enhanced yay). I loved BG 2 much more then the first game, but I still want a huge play through with all the new content plus I never played the BG 1 NPC project and am excited xD. My typical game style is around the plot and NPC's and logic, thus in BG 2 I take with me the "canon" party from the dungeon: Imoen/Yoshimo, Jaheira and Minsc. For the 5th slot in most of my games I had Aerie since she was the "good" romance and a "lost" first NPC you meet in the circus.

For the last 6th slot, what I do is this: I take all other characters: I take a character, play with them for a while, do their quest, and then dump them for the next ... I usually take Viconia to the Underdark (this is the logical option though its quite disappointing she has no quest there :(

So my question is ... for this mod's veterans in the quests and the banter etc ... how should I play plot wise in the first game? The core party is me, Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid. The ending will include Minsc and Dynaheir and the romance will be with Dynaheir, but how should I play it? I don't want to immediately take Minsc and Dynaheir but the game kind of forces me if I remember correctly by sending the party to Neshkel.

Also I see Xzar has a quest and I do want to play a little bit with Xzar and Montaron untill I replace them with Jaheira and Khalid. Obviously NPC's with quests are a bit more important to rotate then NPC's without quests. But I do want to travel a bit with all the NPC's or most of them if possible ad least for a while and for some parts of the game. Also npc's that appear in BG2 are more important then those who don't.

Any suggestions for a logical route and rotation?

You do not need to pick up Dynaheir right when you go to Nashkel - you do not even need to talk to Minsc at this time (you do not even need Minsc at all to romance Dynaheir) So rescue her any time you like, just not too late for her romance to have time to evolve. (This will depend on which other plots/mods you plan to include in your BG1 part, but usually there is enough time if you rescue her in chapter 4 or 5).

For early chapters there are a lot of choices

- Kivan can be picked up at High Hedge right from leaving Gorion's deathsite area >>>he has a quest when you travel to the coast areas. You can rotate him out after you met Tazok at the bandit camp.

- You can take Xan from the Nashkel mines - he also has a quest some time after that. You can do that quest and then decide to kick him.

- You can rescue and recruit Branwen

- You can take Garrick after the Silke event and then visit the Carneval to get a small quest for him, afterwards you can get rid of him again

- You can get rid of Kalid and just take Jaheira when you go to the Cloakwood and she will have a quest with the druids there.

- Later on you can take Coran.

- You can take Eldoth late in BG1 when you are about to go to Baldur City and do his Skie episodes

- and

- and....

(Xzar and Montaron, I cannot comment on those, I usually feed them to the first gibberlings I meet and just take their potions, if I let them near me at all.)

thank you very much for the answer :) it will help a lot. If anybody has more comments, more suggestions about a planned route and rotation I will be glad to hear

I remind that my core group will consist of: Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid. Since I can take Minsc without rescuing Dynaheir I might take him (forgot about this detail lol so thanks), but if it is preferred to rotate 2 slots and not 1, then I will skip him till much later ...

I think Xzar has a quest so I prefer to take him first before Jaheira and Khalid till his quest adleast ... I find that I prefer the core npc's and not mods, and also that I like to experience them all, good and bad, for a while :) especially all the ones who appear later in BG2 ... :) that's my playstyle, more into the plot and npc's

Since I can take Minsc without rescuing Dynaheir

I think you misunderstood - you can take Dynaheir without having Minsc - but when you have Minsc, he will insist that you rescue his witch or get mad. So if you want Minsc, you should delay to talk to him or recruiting him until you are ready to go for Dynaheir soon.

Viconia is one to appear in both parts - she has no quest, but you can always send her to the Friendly Arm to wait for you and later take her back, just in case you need a slot.

Since you plan to play EET you should also consider that NPCs are continuous in this game (e.g. if someone dies in BG1, he/she will not appear in BG2 - only Imoen, Jaheira and Edwin who are needed for the story). NPCs you had in party in BG1 will be the same ones when you later meet them in BG2 - not their BG counterpart.

You will also have the new EE NPCs for choice who all have a quest during BG1, just if you like to try something new. If you consider this, you should install the mods for Neera - with those well-written extensions she comes up to be almost as interesting as the ones enhanced by BG1NPC project. (All the EE NPCs appear as well in SoD and in BG2.) The mods are listed here http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&hl=

NPCs you had in party in BG1 will be the same ones when you later meet them in BG2 - not their BG counterpart

ok please explain this sentences ...

thank you about dynaheir yes, you are right, then I think I will take her though I am not sure how I want to play this all out also with edwin which i love (!) I am going to use the mod that NPC's dont' fight (there is 1 for BG2 I remmber, is there a similar mod for BG1 ?)

I am not sure i want the new NPC's simply because its to much, but if you suggest upon Neera then i will consider her and the mod

NPCs you had in party in BG1 will be the same ones when you later meet them in BG2 - not their BG counterpart

ok please explain this sentences ...

thank you about dynaheir yes, you are right, then I think I will take her though I am not sure how I want to play this all out also with edwin which i love (!) I am going to use the mod that NPC's dont' fight (there is 1 for BG2 I remmber, is there a similar mod for BG1 ?)

I am not sure i want the new NPC's simply because its to much, but if you suggest upon Neera then i will consider her and the mod

About Neera - she is the only one of the new NPCs that has mod added contents and a quest, which brings her up to the standard of the better *old vanilla* NPCs. As a wild mage she is as well a bit different than the ones you know. She is surely more interesting like old ones like Alora, Tiax or Skie...(The other new EE NPCs I will not comment on - even recommending Neera is very personal opinion, she is a fresh wind breeze in BG1).

Continuos NPCs means. example - you had Viconia in BG1 - she learned spells, levelled up, received abilities etc. Then you meet her again in BG2 on the stake in Government Square. She has the same level, spells, abilities and all - of course her items have been taken when she was captured, otherwise she is the same. In BGT formerly you had a new Viconia with default BG2 level, spells etc.

oh I get it, but I usually use a mod that when you meet an NPC they will level up to your level of xp (though its a BG2 mod, not sure it will work in BG1 :S or in the EE Trilogy I hope it will

NPC_EE

but this is for the first meeting with an NPC, I was talking about the ones you have already met in BG1 and later meet again in BG2.

Archived