SCS v32 and spell targetting

Both the Enhanced Edition and the ToBEX-enhanced original game now have substantial advances in scripting options as compared to the original game. Version 32 of SCS (to be released fairly imminently, at least in playtest form) takes advantage of this rather more than previous versions; partly as a consequence, there are several substantive changes in targetting. These are all somewhat experimental and I'm keen to get feedback.

1) In previous versions, spellcasters totally ignore anyone protected by Spell Deflection, Spell Turning or Spell Trap. V32 is a bit more aggressive: it will use single-target spells on mages with Spell Deflection (but not the other protection types) in the hope of burning through the protection. The spellcaster's most powerful spells won't be used in this way: only spells 2 levels or more below the caster's highest level are used against Spell Deflection.

2) One dilemma in previous versions was how to handle magic items that provide protection (e.g., should you cast Domination on someone wearing a Helm of Charm Protection?) Previously, I've erred on the side of detecting these items, on the grounds that while it's a bit unrealistic for a mage to immediately see your items, it's not that obvious, whereas if a mage repeatedly targets someone who's obviously immune to an effect, it breaks immersion.

V32 takes advantage of new scripting options to do something more sophisticated: the *first time* that a spell type is cast, the caster will fail to notice the protective item, but subsequently it is noticed. (So a mage might cast Domination on the protected creature, but won't then try a Dire Charm on the same opponent).

3) Previous versions of SCS were very cautious with party-unfriendly spells like Fireball, usually only using them if the caster was immune to the spell and if there are no allies anywhere around. V32 is significantly more aggressive with area-effect spells: it tries to target clumps of enemies, and it is willing to cast with allies or an unprotected caster around because it tries to detect if they're actually in range. I'm not sure exactly how this will play out; realistically there will be *some* friendly fire, but I'm keen to find out just how much.

One consequence of embracing the full range of modern scripting options is that SCS now requires either the Enhanced Edition engine or a ToBEx-compatible engine. What that means in practice is that I no longer support OSX versions of the vanilla game. Apologies for this, but it's a very small fraction of my player base and maintaining backwards compatibility has just become too difficult.

1) I am SCS enemy AI and on difficulty settings HARD and INSANE I will do anything, ANYTHING in order to destroy you, filthy casul!!!

2) Monsters should not bother detecting anything. Casters should (Tanova, Alhoon, dragons, special beholders are casters of course). No casting on protected characters at all! Smarter AI more important than sophistication, imo.

3) Could be fun in BG1EE.

Imagine Mulahey casting remove magic first just to be sure and then casting one or two fireballs, destroying his entire skellingtons army.....

but also your entire party. hehe

Nope, he is a cleric I know, just like Bassilius. Don't worry, just imagine Khark!!! Thanks all, have a nice day.

On 11/13/2018 at 3:04 AM, DavidW said:

2) One dilemma in previous versions was how to handle magic items that provide protection (e.g., should you cast Domination on someone wearing a Helm of Charm Protection?) Previously, I've erred on the side of detecting these items, on the grounds that while it's a bit unrealistic for a mage to immediately see your items, it's not that obvious, whereas if a mage repeatedly targets someone who's obviously immune to an effect, it breaks immersion.

V32 takes advantage of new scripting options to do something more sophisticated: the *first time* that a spell type is cast, the caster will fail to notice the protective item, but subsequently it is noticed. (So a mage might cast Domination on the protected creature, but won't then try a Dire Charm on the same opponent).

Speaking of this, why do SPLs like DW#MMSEE or DW#WBSEE offer a Save vs. Spell? Shouldn't they offer no save?

On 2/22/2019 at 4:05 AM, DavidW said:

Probably not.

Just to remind you that you still need to fix this (RC #10...). Also leave parameter1 at 0 (zero), it's irrelevant (unused) for opcode #328... Is duration (currently set to 144) correct? I can't comment on this because it's related to your revised combat scripts.....

Moreover, are the spell states ITEM_POISON and ITEM_POISON_SEEN necessary? I mean, there's already a STAT for that (i.e., #74 - RESISTPOISON.....)

If you keep reminding me, I will leave it unfixed out of sheer contrariness. (If you read the announcements for RC9 and RC10 you'll see that they're quite explicitly *not* catching all the bugs, just the high-priority ones. This is a really low-priority one.)

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Also leave parameter1 at 0 (zero), it's irrelevant (unused) for opcode #328

If it's unused, it doesn't matter what value it has.

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Is duration (currently set to 144) correct?

I think so. (Why wouldn't it be?)

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Moreover, are the spell states ITEM_POISON and ITEM_POISON_SEEN necessary? I mean, there's already a STAT for that (i.e., #74 - RESISTPOISON.....)

What's the stat for ITEM_POISON_SEEN? (I agree, I can probably do without ITEM_POISON)

58 minutes ago, DavidW said:

...This is a really low-priority one...

Sorry, I don't consider this low-priority.

Enemies may fail to notice your protective item simply because you made a Save vs. Spell. On the other hand, it's not game breaking either....

As far as duration is concerned, I cannot understand where that 144 comes from... I should have a closer look at your scripts... A quick look suggests that enemy mages might cast Domination on a protective creature but then won't waste a Dire Charm on the same creature for the next 144 seconds... Is it correct?

Edited by Luke
1 hour ago, DavidW said:

What's the stat for ITEM_POISON_SEEN? (I agree, I can probably do without ITEM_POISON)

I simply said that you can check a creature's Poison Resistance with CheckStat[LT|GT]([object],value,RESISTPOISON) There's no need to use spell states... Am I missing something?

Edit: oh, maybe it's always related to "the caster will fail to notice the protective item, but subsequently it is noticed"... So you don't want to use that trigger right from the start, enemies first need to SEE that there's an item granting protection from poison....

Edited by Luke
40 minutes ago, Luke said:

Sorry, I don't consider this low-priority.

You are welcome to have whatever priority list you like for your own mods, but for SCS, the priority order is whatever I say it is. And on my assessment of priorities, the fact that enemies might sometimes not notice two specific protection items just isn’t severe enough to prioritize, ahead of my general trawl through of issues as and when I get the time.

You have the scripting about right.

12 hours ago, DavidW said:

You are welcome to have whatever priority list you like for your own mods, but for SCS, the priority order is whatever I say it is.

Yes, sure, this is what I intended to say in the end, sorry if it came off as offensive.....

Am I right also about ITEM_POISON (i.e., you can use STAT #74 instead of adding a new spell state)?

Edited by Luke