Corthala Romantique - Valygar Romance

Corthala Romantique - Valygar Romance
for BGII, BGII:EE, BGT, EET

Originally by Domi, Beyshaliban, and Caetlyn. Edits by Meira and jastey.

After a long hiatus, the mod finally reaches official release!

About

Tender love and care for one silent, brooding type

Originally a part of the TeamBG mod 'Tortured Souls', the romance had a short-lived history as stand-alone part of said mod. When support for the stand-alone Valygar romance was abandoned, Beyshaliban volunteered to make it a WeiDU mod.

The original path and speed of the romance was altered and Domi wrote a lot of additional lovetalks, flirts and banters.

ToB content was added and the mod reached beta status in 2005. The SoA part was still under revision by Meira then. Aside from that, an expansion to the Sphere Quest was added. You will meet an interesting not joinable NPC, a character from Valygar's past, based on Domi's story Biographer's Notes: Valygar.

In 2018, the mod was fully recoded and revised by jastey, with Domi's blessings: After the mod going on hiatus while still in testing and under revision, it was now newly recoded and revised to make the romance flow with less bottlenecks in-game, make the banters more in-character, and also to make the development of Valygar's feelings with regard to his vows more consistent.

Content
The Mod Corthala Romantique adds a romance for female PCs (no short races) of good or neutral alignment (no chaotic neutral) or female druids. To proceed with the romance, the reputation has to be above 13. The mod also adds friendship talks for the SoA part of the game for PCs that do not fulfill the romance criteria. For ToB, all dialogues added are for romance, only. Also added are banters with other NPCs and interjections, for romance and non-romance case.

As a second, optional component, the "bathing flirt" can be installed for the romance - there was a time back then where NPCs were supposed to have at least one, romantic-encounter-like bathing flirt, "Kelsey-style". Although being a very romantic and humorous encounter, it was made an own install option because reply options and PC reactions are not always freely chosable. The content does not exceed teen rating.

The third, independently installable component introduces a quest to let the sphere be guarded or be sealed forever by a friend of Valygar, Leonora. The quest can be installed and played without the romance.
The quest to close the sphere might trigger while the sphere quests are still running. Just tell Valygar that it has to wait.

Compatibility and possible conflicts

• Compatibility with IEP Valygar Friendship is as follows: if the PC qualifies for the CR romance, IEP friendship talks will not trigger. If there is no romance and both mods are installed, then the friendship talks of CR will not trigger in favor of the IEP Valygar Friendship talks.
  • The mod uses BCaesar's RestCheck to ensure rest dialogues do not fire at the same rest as BioWare/BeamDog ones.
  • NPC-Strongholds: The quest to close the sphere might trigger while the sphere quests are still running. Just tell Valygar that it has to wait.
  • Extended Sphere Quest / Mage Stronghold Mod: The quest to close the sphere might trigger while the sphere quests are still running. Just tell Valygar that it has to wait.
  • Romantic Ecounters, components "Valygar Romance, by Kulyok" and "Valygar Romance ToB, by Kulyok": technically, the two mods are compatible. Content-wise, I don't think it's a good idea to have two romances play together, as they paint slightly different pictures of Valygar and might make him sound like he has a bad short-time memory.
  • Tortured Souls: the mod is not compatible with the mod Tortured Souls that still contains an own version of the Valygar romance.
  • Unfinished Business, component Suna Seni/Valygar Relationship: install this UB component first to make those two mods compatible. Note: The current love affair of Valygar and Suna Seni will be tuned down to a past love. For this, three lines of UB's Valygar's dialogue are tuned down so he no longer calls Suna his love. Additionally, there will be a follow-up dialogue in case of PC-Valygar romance.

Project Page

Readme

Download at G3

Download at Gibberlings Three GitHub

And the linked package updates to v0.5 beta.

Changes:

-the variable "ValygarRomanceActive" (original game variable to enable the UB Valygar hidden romance content) will also be reset if romance breaks in ToB

Also, OSX and Linux versions were added (links in the first post).

Edited by jastey

The mod packages for OSX and Linux are updated with the current weidu. There was no changes in version number.
OSX and weidu users with problems installing, please remove the old mod package from your game and download the current one.

The mod updates to v2, with bugfixes and compatibility with IEP Valygar Friendship mod!

Compatibility with IEP Valygar Friendship is as follows: if the PC qualifies for the CR romance, IEP friendship talks will not trigger. If there is no romance and both mods are installed, then the friendship talks of CR will not trigger in favor of the IEP Valygar Friendship talks.

Changes:

-compatibility with IEP Valygar Friendship if both mods are installed: CR Romance kills IEP Friendship, but IEP Friendship kills CR friendship talks in case of no romance.
-fixed bug where Valygar's "Tree of life" dialogue would fire randomly elsewhere
-(ToB) Forest talk about not being on Amketharan's dusty streets any more will only fire after party was in Amkethran
-Valygar will no longer mention the name "Veldrin" before Adalon says it
-typo corrections
-renamed setup-corthalaromantique.tp2 -> corthalaromantique.tp2
-added corthalaromantique.ini with mod info
-update to WeiDU v246

Just a heads-up about an error I got when I installed this mod: the setup would error out while installing the crossmod content with UB's Suna Seni, and after a quick look it turned out to be because Unfinished Business had changed its directory structure, so the lines in that section of your TP2 now need to look like this (ie: "~ub/lang/%s" instead of "~ub/tra/%s"):

OUTER_SET valygar_state_1 = STATE_WHICH_SAYS 170 IN ~ub/lang/%s/ubdialog.tra~ FROM ~VALYGARJ.dlg~

OUTER_SET valygar_state_2 = STATE_WHICH_SAYS 172 IN ~ub/lang/%s/ubdialog.tra~ FROM ~VALYGARJ.dlg~

OUTER_SET valygar_state_3 = STATE_WHICH_SAYS 188 IN ~ub/lang/%s/ubdialog.tra~ FROM ~VALYGARJ.dlg~

Guest Vraggen

Help.. I am currently now in TOB with active romance (at Lovetalk 23).  If I attempt to rest anywhere outside dialogue is initiated with Valygar (3 options) and keeps repeating over and over every couple of seconds.  Once this loop starts there is no way to end it.  Saving and quitting the game does stop the looping dialogue.

It is like some outdoor dialogue at rest is trying to fire but the wrong dialogue launches.

Guest Vraggen

I wonder if other mods are causing issues. Valygar friendship?  Also noticed that with Amber mod watchers keep did not appear on my world map for EET.  I am going to uninstall those two mods.

Guest Vraggen, it's also possible you installed the mods in an unfavorable order (if the first mod adds a player initiated dialogue and the second adds more dialogues to the same NPC there might be stutter if this is not considered).

Also, if you used the EE Setup Tool for installation of your EET then you are not using the official mod versions and any bugs you encounter might not be any issue in the official mods.

The mod updates to v4, which should fix the install issue with regard to UB crossmod.

Changelog:
-adapted crossmod to changed folder structure of UB.
-ToB Wraith encounter should play until the end.
-Removed Restcheck syntax as it was outdated.
-added globally unique LABELs and instal order syntax to support Project Infinity.
-added libiconv-1.9.2-1-src.7z for licenxe info.

Hey there,

first of: thank you very much all your mods Jastey. I've been playing BG2 and just wanted you to know how much I appreciate all the work and mods you've done (for free!). I think this mod was a part of Tortured Souls (or something like that?) I've played this mod and everything works completely fine. Something that bothers me about it though, is the uneven writing. It's clear that some of the text was written by someone with a limited grasp of the English language while the other half is of very high quality. 

Is anyone planning to do grammar check some of the text? Or has something changed since the last update? Could I offer help somehow?

Again, thank you for you all your work, I've played your mods since my early teens (Wow!)

43 minutes ago, Guest Claire said:

It's clear that some of the text was written by someone with a limited grasp of the English language while the other half is of very high quality. 

The former one was probably me, the latter Domi et al. If you'd want to proofread the texts and make them flow more naturally, be my guest!

Thanks for the kind words!