[Idea] Sewers accesses

Arturcic

Okay, let's say there IS a network of ancient caves that run through the bedrock that the city (and the river) rest on. Does it intersect with that gigantic honkin' shaft directly underneath the Graveyard District? (Because that's a pretty big target to miss.) If so, why doesn't Pai'Na just go get the Spider's Bane herself, instead of asking you to do it? And if it doesn't, and nor does it connect with the "Lower Reaches" of the Unseeing Eye quest areas, or with other Graveyard areas like the Southern Tombs, then that's one busy little hive of underground tunnels, all swarming around each other but no two ever meeting.

For the sake of curiosity, here's some monologue (which may have been restored by Unfinished Business, I don't know) from Jan's quest:

"I see from the look on your face that you've talked to Uncle Gearhardt. I should have better explained the situation. Gearhardt is a well-known and respected physician and scholar. He had risen above the poverty that plagues this family so. As you have seen, he's no longer the same. About a decade ago, my Uncle was hired to treat a rather unsavory fellow, a thief named Ralg. It was fairly obvious that Ralg was a high-ranking Shadow Thief. He had mower and money, two things more than rare in Athkatla without family connections. Ralg was also daring. There are places in this city where no sane man treads, places in the bowels of the earth that have the most powerful drow clerics shiver with fear at the mere mention of their cursed names. Ralg set into motion the systematic plunder of these places. He was a modern man, not given to the superstitious fears of the plebian masses. The story goes that Ralg was found in the old Temple of Bhaal, gibbering and mad with fear. Uncle Gearhardt, an expert in odd conditions, was called to treat the ravaged man. As my Uncle had learned through his studies, these afflictions can never be treated without knowledge of their cause. Since none but Ralg had survived the trip, my Uncle made the foolish decision to travel to these places, in search of this knowledge. He left for the graveyard and the places of the profane that are known to lie beneath it. He was gone for months and we thought him dead. Ralg was shipped off to the asylum that lies off of Amn's coast. Nearly a year later, Uncle Gearhardt returned a changed man. Something that he had seen on his travels left him quite unhinged, though hardly the mindless sack of flesh that Ralg had been. With this change came a strange ability that occasionally shows itself in Gearhardt's verbal ramblings. He has become a prophet of sorts. He predicts things, some small and some of portent. During the Time of Troubles, his gift was particularly evident. He seemed to know everything. He'd rage and stumble about the basement screaming of slaughtered gods and tumultuous magic. But that is in the past. He has examined Jaella and, especially in his present state, he knows things. He told Lissa to bring me home and I hope that he has given you some direction as to how we can help this girl."

A few thoughts about this ramble: The fact that the Hidden travels from the Temple sewers to the Slums sewers implies a physical link between the two. Then again, the Hidden can polymorph himself to walk among Humans undetected, and the entire Jan quest is bullshit anyway, so that tidbit doesn't count for much.

Jan's tale is very recent and relevant: We are talking about Athkatla, 11 to 15 years ago. Anything that Ralg (and Gerhardt) found is almost certainly still there.

A temple to Bhaal would likely have been reconsecrated to another Evil deity - and there are several with prominent temples hidden around Athkatla, should someone wish to add it (Cyric, Xvim, Gargauth and probably more).

It might have been reconsecrated if there was anyone present to do it, but Jan's statement of "places where no sane man treads" is a pretty direct blanket statement that nobody goes there. Unless you're willing to dismiss that part as wishful hyperbode, since it must be one heck of a cursed name that can make a Drow cleric shiver with fear. Besides, Amaunator's been dead a heck of a lot longer than Bhaal has, and his more subterranean temple hasn't been taken over. You know, the more I think about this, the more sure I get that BioWare pretty much just slapped stuff in at random: Somebody want to tell me why both Temples dedicated to Amaunator, a god whose province included the sun, are UNDERGROUND? And why would a Temple of Amaunator have a Gazebo of Bhaal nearby? And just what is that screaming statue supposed to represent, anyway?

Yes, the Amaunatori ones do seem a little out of place. :)

I've toyed with Mur'Neth for SoA as a future project, and what I'd thought of doing there was have him trying to take over the temple to Amaunator and replace it with a shrine to Ghaunadaur. As Ghaunadaur's portfolio is Hatred, which is what Amaunator's forgotten worshippers are giving him. We shall have to see if time ever permits.

I guess if the Bhaalist one wasn't reconsecrated it could be populated by spirits driven insane by the death of their Master, or something.

You know, the more I think about this, the more sure I get that BioWare pretty much just slapped stuff in at random: Somebody want to tell me why both Temples dedicated to Amaunator, a god whose province included the sun, are UNDERGROUND? And why would a Temple of Amaunator have a Gazebo of Bhaal nearby? And just what is that screaming statue supposed to represent, anyway?

It could be possible the Amaunator temple above Umar Hills was constructed above ground, with a series of small catacombs beneath it (what large place of worship does not have catacombs?). Since Amaunator was dead for hundreds of years by the time BG takes place, you could assume a forest grew around/in the upper level(s), leaving only ruins behind. The lower catacombs were still untouched by the forest, so they are in better condition.

The other temple of Amaunator is quite out of place, yes. You could say it was built above ground, and it sunk below the city as part of the same curse that caused the sickness among the worshippers/priests.

-Galactygon

I think that's probably spot on there Galactygon. If I recall correctly, wasn't the Temple in the Umar Hills also built to seal in the Shade Lord? the underground portions of the temple might have been part of his original domain.

Considering what's being hidden in the temple under Athkatla, building the temple there underground might have been a way to keep the place more secret.

Archived