What resolution do you play

Valiant

Hi all, I´m curious on what resolutions do you normally play, now, in time of big LCDs and very high resolutions available. Because I want to reuse original area art in my final part of TOD, but the area dimensions are only 1280x960, so on very high resolutions above these you´ll see the edges of the area, and that´s not very pretty...:)

Would you mind it a lot? Or not?

For example me, I´m playing on 1366x768 (laptop native), and I´m pretty satisfied, but sometimes I find it too small for me (texts, items on the ground etc...). I can´timagine someone playing at 1920x1080... :)

IMO it's only jarring when the East and South edges of the area are colored (thus creating a nice sharp border); if the borders are black (E.G. indoors/underground areas) you don't notice it so much.

Also, I know that many (most?) players don't play at their native resolution, but at a smaller (widescreen) one (E.G. 1280x720 is popular between people with 1920x1080 HDTVs). I myself play in windowed mode at 1280x720 (since this way I can upload the video to Youtube without loss of quality).

Of course, I was talking about outdoor areas. Indoor and underground areas are all fine...

Only jarring thing is when you are, say, in some outdoor city area and you´re approaching the border to travel somewhere else, you´ll see a sharp (...or cutted out...) end of the building and a pitch black beyond... :) ...funny - end of the world...

Playing 1920*1200 (used to have Apple Cinema, broke the cable, now sitting on NEC Pro), whole screen, afraid that I don't want to change it - I like it too much this way.

(Lots of crashes to desktop with TutuGui, though. :) )

Also, another thing to consider is that, if your resolution is so big that you see the Black Void around your area, then you'll see it every time you visit the Gate District or are waylaid, so it's not like the oddity would be unique to the ToD area.

Well, Kulyok, I´d like to have your eyes, then... On that resolution, the text would appear too small for me, so no, I´ll stick to my native one... But to each his own, I would say... :) (...or her own, in your case...:))

the bigg - OMG, I almost forgot that gates... It´s true, of course... Thanks

Well, Kulyok, I´d like to have your eyes, then... On that resolution, the text would appear too small for me, so no, I´ll stick to my native one... But to each his own, I would say... :) (...or her own, in your case...:))

I guess it also depends on the size of your screen and how close to it you are - 1920x1080 on a 17'' laptop is impossible to read for a grown man, the same resolution on a 42'' TV is readable even without perfect eyesight.

I guess it also depends on the size of your screen and how close to it you are - 1920x1080 on a 17'' laptop is impossible to read for a grown man
It's a good thing no real monitor maker makes that size screens... besides even in laptops, the max res for 17" screen is 1650x1080... as far as I can find.

I have a 24" real monitor(so it has 16:10 res), so I play with the top res available, 1920x1200. What comes to the black borders, they have never been an issue, actually scrolling the world is far bigger one.

Archived