Trouble shooting Baldurs Gate 2 with Gem RB

Ishad Nha

This is a hands-on trouble shooting guide to playing Baldurs Gate 2 with Gem RB

Creating custom NPCs

Multiplayer mode is not necessary if you only want to choose the class(es) held by each PC. You simply create the PC using a Cre file. Then you use CreateCreature(1,"StrRef") in the console to make them appear in the game itself. To add him/her to the party, put the cursor over him/her then use Ctrl+Q. To remove the person from the party, select them and then use Ctrl+K. StrRef is the name of the Cre file that contains your custom NPC.

Making people appear when they should.

Usually when you need to talk to people they appear when they should. But this is not always the case. One example is Gaelan Boyle when you have 15,000GP accumulated. You use CreateCreature(1,"StrRef") in the console once again.

Altering Hotkeys

Edit the file Keymap.ini, this can be done in a text editor. This file should be in the main directory for your BG2 install. Modifying the toolbar buttons is something I know nothing about.

Hostile Neutrals

Some people turn hostile when they should not, for whatever reason. Insert something like this into the town script concerned.

IF

OR(3)

Allegiance("OBSSOL01",ENEMY)

Allegiance("OBSSOL02",ENEMY)

Allegiance("OBSSOL03",ENEMY)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

ChangeEnemyAlly("OBSSOL01",NEUTRAL)

ChangeEnemyAlly("OBSSOL02",NEUTRAL)

ChangeEnemyAlly("OBSSOL03",NEUTRAL)

END

The three OBSSOL## creatures are the Solamnic Knights in the Sphere. For other hostile neutrals, replace with OBSSOL## with the name of the relevant creature file.This quick fix enables things to work regardless of what the problem actually is. It works in practice. Problem goes away when the nearby fighting ends. (This is a flaw in the original game.)

If inserting it into a creature's personal script you would replace OBSSOL## with MYSELF.

Locating NPCs

For whatever reason, at the Keep Nalia was found at: X=1080, Y=2046, which is well away from her normal position, roughly [X=751,y=3229].

Finding the position, in Near Infinity expand the Save heading. (Click on the + sign to the left of it.) Choose a save game where Nalia is not in the party, expand the save game. Click on Baldur.gam, you will see a page listing various information. In the lower right you will a box titled Non-player characters. The NPCs are not named, unlike in Infinity Explorer. So you need to click on each "null (None.cre)" entry and then click on View/Edit to bring up the record concerned. The View tab shows the name of the NPC involved and their location in X,Y coordinates. The Edit tab tells you the location and the relevant hex offsets in the Baldur.gam file.

Near Infinity showed me her exact position in the save file. After which I was able to track down and edit the offsets in the save file. (Using a hex editor, I did not wholly trust NI.) Location hex values were little-endian.

Infinity Explorer names the NPCs unlike Near Infinity. Expand the Savegames heading and choose a savegame. Expand it and choose the NPC heading. Click on Nalia to bring up her file. Click on the Party tab. In the location area you will fin the X and Y listed.

Archived