Adding extra attacks

Guest Yuruilan

Guest Yuruilan

I've tried to add extra attacks to a thief based kit, as they don't properly gain attacks when specialized, but the additions don't seem to ever work.

Any ideas on how it's done? What I did was modified the SPCL332 file (which gives rangers a backstab) and changed the 'backstab' value to 'add additional attack', then saved it as a new file in the overwrite directory. I added it to the 2da I've got, but it never shows up.

I've tried to add extra attacks to a thief based kit, as they don't properly gain attacks when specialized, but the additions don't seem to ever work.

Any ideas on how it's done?  What I did was modified the SPCL332 file (which gives rangers a backstab) and changed the 'backstab' value to 'add additional attack', then saved it as a new file in the overwrite directory.  I added it to the 2da I've got, but it never shows up.

Assuming you did it correctly, that should work. It's possible that thieves have a hardcoded number of attacks. Cam could probably help you out there.

Can you post the 2DA file?

Guest Yuruilan

I modified the file directly using NI. The actual 2da is just AP_Yu!ATT1 (the 2da which adds abilities, where Yu!ATT1.spl is the ability itself). I've read somewhere that the hard coding might be the issue, though, so I'm guessing there's naught to be done. It does mean that a swashbuckler, for instance, is much weaker than she should be, along with any non-fighter who can specialize. As something of a workaround, I modded the idea to make it something that can run along Ranger lines (since combat ability was more important than pick pockets, et. al.)

Thanks for the help!

Any ideas on how it's done?  What I did was modified the SPCL332 file (which gives rangers a backstab) and changed the 'backstab' value to 'add additional attack', then saved it as a new file in the overwrite directory.  I added it to the 2da I've got, but it never shows up.

Assuming you did it correctly, that should work. It's possible that thieves have a hardcoded number of attacks. Cam could probably help you out there.

Can you post the 2DA file?

Well, yes and no. Non-fighters can not gain extra attacks from weapon proficiencies, and this can not change. However, they can still gain attacks from conventional sources--how many players boost a non-fighter with Belm in the offhand? :)

I'd suggest looking at other spells which add attacks and compare effects. Also, make sure the spell is being applied with the CLAB, not gained (i.e. AP_foo not GA_foo).

Archived