Two questions on this mod

But don't bother emailing the file - as noted in the pinned topic on the forum, IWD-in-BG2 is no longer in development now that IWDEE is out.

I saw the topic, but it also said somewhere the mod should be "recreationally playable" as it is, so I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't install properly nonetheless.

It won't open, though, with Notepad... :) It is listed as a 'debug', not text file, thus "Windows cannot open file", etc.

Yeah... so what, you just need to go through the options until you can choose to select a program to open it with, and set the program to be Notepad. That's what everyone has done. At least on newer Windows(xp, Win 7, 8, 10).

You can open the .tp2 file this way too, to see the install text commands.

Well - one way or another, I have succeeded to open it - it seems to be more or less the installation log I was looking for initially, even though I am not sure if it is the whole installation, or only a part; not the smallest of files, and I seem to be unable to post it here, perhaps because of size restrictions - any way to go about it, then, if it is not to be emailed (such as, say, uploading it to my profile or something similar)?

Finally, what would be the .tp2 file, where to find it, and why open it?

Thanks. :)

Edited by DragonRider

Well - one way or another, I have succeeded to open it - it seems to be more or less the installation log I was looking for initially, even though I am not sure if it is the whole installation, or only a part; not the smallest of files, and I seem to be unable to post it here, perhaps because of size restrictions - any way to go about it, then, if it is not to be emailed (such as, say, uploading it to my profile or something similar)?

Well if you can't... then you can make a .zip file from it and upload the file to the topic if the forum doesn't behave like a jerk for you... and if that's the case, then you can upload the file to any numbers of sites that allow uploading and linking to them. Mediafire comes first in mind, but that needs a profile. tinyupload dot com comes to mind, first.

[iwd_in_bg2/sounds/Female_Fighter_1/dff_01.wav] loaded, 19946 bytes

Copied [iwd_in_bg2/sounds/Female_Fighter_1/dff_01.wav] to [sounds/dff_#.wav]

Copying 1 file ...

ERROR: error loading [iwd_in_bg2/real_override/ign_21.wav]

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR: [sound_set_table] -> [sound_set_table] Patching Failed (COPY) (Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "iwd_in_bg2/real_override/ign_21.wav"))

ERROR Installing [convert soundsets], rolling back to previous state

Unable to Unlink [iwd_in_bg2/backup/110/OTHER.110]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "iwd_

Copying and patching 7 files ...

ERROR: error loading [iwd_in_bg2/rules/avalanch.2da]

ERROR Installing [Collected string hacks (now moved last)], rolling back to previous state

Unable to Unlink [iwd_in_bg2/backup/4500/OTHER.4500]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "iwd_in_bg2/backup/4500/OTHER.4500")

There's two components that fail to install:

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Infinity Animation hacks to the EXE

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Convert GUI

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED copy over portraits

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS convert soundsets

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED convert music

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Decompress NARR files

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED wipe death movie

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Clear out BG2 sample characters

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Misc string fixes

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED EXE modifications

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED spell removal (new ToBEx version)

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED fix weap prof strings to match BG2 system

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Collected string hacks (now moved last)

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED BIFF misc files

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Tidy up

The later one could make the interface not show up like is supposed to be, but it shouldn't remove the ability play the actual game. Unless I am totally off. The size difference is do to this being a completely new directory...

Here's a note I'll check for later:

WeiDU v 23100 Log

iwd_in_bg2\weidu --tlkout dialog.tlk --ftlkout dialogf.tlk --log iwd_in_bg2\workspace\log.debug iwd_in_bg2\setup-iwd_in_bg2.tp2 --args 1 --force-install-list 18 60 100 110 210 600 730 760 840 850 855 1000 4500 5000 11000

[./CHITIN.KEY] loaded, 602134 bytes

[./CHITIN.KEY] 195 BIFFs, 42594 resources

[./dialog.tlk] loaded, 12051291 bytes

[./dialog.tlk] 108604 string entries

[./Autorun.ini] loaded, 1452 bytes

[./baldur.ini] loaded, 3357 bytes

Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Users\...\My Games\Black Isle\Icewind Dale in BG2\]

Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Users\...\My Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\data\]

[./Keymap.ini] loaded, 5615 bytes

[iwd_in_bg2\weidu] Using scripting style "BG2"

[dialog.tlk] claims to be writeable.

[dialog.tlk] claims to be a regular file.

Using Language [English]

[English] has 1 top-level TRA files

[iwd_in_bg2/languages/english/setup.tra] has 16 translation strings

IWD_IN_BG2\SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2 0 14 Installed

IWD_IN_BG2\SETUP-IWD_IN_BG2.TP2 0 15 Installed

I don't know - if the first component is related to soundsets, why would it make the game unplayable as well? Also, as I mentioned one or two posts above, I am not sure if this is a full log - it could be, say, only the part after inputting the IWD path, or similar. At any rate, in the very beginning of installing the mod, the first few lines in the DOS window were something along the lines of "file not found", and then it went on from there. Not sure if this is logged anywhere.

I don't know - if the first component is related to soundsets, why would it make the game unplayable as well? Also, as I mentioned one or two posts above, I am not sure if this is a full log - it could be, say, only the part after inputting the IWD path, or similar. At any rate, in the very beginning of installing the mod, the first few lines in the DOS window were something along the lines of "file not found", and then it went on from there. Not sure if this is logged anywhere.

Check your icewind dale folder for a .debug file.

And the sounds are likely not a great problem... but the whole thing is meant to complete in a row ... so any divination is likely a bigger problem.

Check your icewind dale folder for a .debug file.

This here?

WeiDU v 23100 Log

C:\Users\...\My Games\Black Isle\Icewind Dale\setup-get_iwd_resources.exe

--args C:\Users\...\My Games\Black Isle\Icewind Dale in BG2 --force-install

version = 23800

Newest WeiDU is version 23800, updating!

WeiDU files in version order:

[setup-iwdfixpack.exe] version 23800

[setup-get_iwd_resources.exe] version 23100

[setup-iwdfixpack.exe] loaded, 975360 bytes

Copying [setup-iwdfixpack.exe] -> [setup-get_iwd_resources.exe]:

false

Well yeah, that could be a rather large part of the problem.

You have an mod that has a more up to date weidu.exe in it's install than the weidu.exe that the setup-get_iwd_resources.exe is ... that's used to try to retrieve files from it.

We did say that the BOTH games should be NOT MODDED AT ALL. To avoid such things. That and MOD INCOMPATIBILITY !

MY advice still remains the same, copy the IWD game to another directory, then uninstall the original IWD using the in game app, remove the rest of the files the uninstall won't remove (aka the weidu mods etc), reinstall the IWD game and update it if it needs one(I am talking about the Trials of the Loremaster -patch), and then start the Icewind Dale in Baldur's Gate II -install to/with a CLEAN BG2 game patched if needed... and then you can showel the current IWD install up and move the moded to it's place, from where ever you copied to -from.

The reason it shows up like that is that it tries and is refused to update.

Should you know, the weidu.exe is the same file for all the setup-*modname*.exe's in your games, the size difference usually just means the file was updated, like in the above case the 23100 is less up to date than that of the 23800. The most up too date to day is the 24000 that is found in here, as part of the archives. This can be manually fixed, and the weidu.exe usually is not refused an update, but yours is for what ever reason.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Actually, I had one mod - the fixpack - and uninstalled it prior to trying to install this one, but didn't reinstall the whole IWD game again, and I suppose it must have left traces wherever the installer is looking for them. Ah well, I guess I'll reinstall this too. (My BG2 was just reinstalled, so it should be completely clean at the moment).

As for refusing to update, first suspect - AV, but I had it off - however, I had turned off the internet connection also, it might be that. Is it necessary to have a connection on for any other reason during installation, and would manual fixing be recommended, and if so, how to go about it?

...how to go about it?

You download the appropriate archive(Windows binary) from the link above, extract that to BOTH BG2 and IWD games, run them without actually installing the mods("automatic update")... and hope that the update happens, usually it does without an issue like the above*, and then when you make the Icewind Dale in Baldur's Gate II -install, you also have to make sure it uses a weidu.exe that's updated to v24000. You do that by removing the setup-*modname*.exe from the mod, copying the weidu.exe from the archive to it's place and then rename is as the setup-*modname*.exe installing it(this is called "manual update").

AND NO, the weidu.exe is an OFFLINE program, it doesn't have an update online profile, "hello, it's made by the mod community", specifically by (in the past) Westley Weimer, the Bigg and todays by Wisp. with help and request from other contributors/modmakers.

Ouh, and just so you know... I was partially -in the very first post of mine- wrong that you can uninstall the G3 Fixpack for IWD, but I still didn't recommend it... AND the readme is still correct:

I wouldn't recommend such a thing, as it's not according to the instructions of the mods install help:

3. Ensure that you have a full (and preferably unmodded) install of IWD, including both Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster (the converter doesn't work without both)

As for refusing to update, first suspect - AV, but I had it off - however, I had turned off the internet connection ...

*It wasn't either of those, it's that the install process(the retrieval of the games files) is ran the way it is, from a command line insert by a copy of the program from another directory. It works perfectly fine if done to unmodified game directories... yes, technically extracting a mod will modify the files in the folder even if you don't install mods into it. Like with the uninstalling of the Fixpack... doesn't remove the incompatibility as the renamed weidu.exe still remains in the game folder. That leads to the failure of retrieving the additional game files of the IWDinBG2.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

This is a help topic over a year running. Wow. Kudos to Jarno and Agb1 for perseverance! DragonRider, hope you get it all sorted soon :)

Thanks - doing what I can, really... :)

Ouh, and just so you know... I was partially -in the very first post of mine- wrong that you can uninstall the G3 Fixpack for IWD, but I still didn't recommend it... AND the readme is still correct:

I wouldn't recommend such a thing, as it's not according to the instructions of the mods install help:

3. Ensure that you have a full (and preferably unmodded) install of IWD, including both Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster (the converter doesn't work without both)

It must have been the "preferably" part that mislead me slightly, here... :hm:

...how to go about it?

You download the appropriate archive(Windows binary) from the link above, extract that to BOTH BG2 and IWD games, run them without actually installing the mods("automatic update")... and hope that the update happens, usually it does without an issue like the above*, and then when you make the Icewind Dale in Baldur's Gate II -install, you also have to make sure it uses a weidu.exe that's updated to v24000. You do that by removing the setup-*modname*.exe from the mod, copying the weidu.exe from the archive to it's place and then rename is as the setup-*modname*.exe installing it(this is called "manual update").

AND NO, the weidu.exe is an OFFLINE program, it doesn't have an update online profile, "hello, it's made by the mod community", specifically by (in the past) Westley Weimer, the Bigg and todays by Wisp. with help and request from other contributors/modmakers.

It wasn't either of those, it's that the install process(the retrieval of the games files) is ran the way it is, from a command line insert by a copy of the program from another directory. It works perfectly fine if done to unmodified game directories... yes, technically extracting a mod will modify the files in the folder even if you don't install mods into it. Like with the uninstalling of the Fixpack... doesn't remove the incompatibility as the renamed weidu.exe still remains in the game folder. That leads to the failure of retrieving the additional game files of the IWDinBG2.

So, currently - try to update manually, or just to install from reinstalled original games?

Well - should have, at least the game generally seemed to install this time - although still with several "unable to find file" notifications in the very beginning after providing the BG2 installation path, however: now I am taken to a login screen (where it asks for the disk in the drive), with the disk in the drive, it doesn't seem to proceed, and there is no mouse cursor in sight (exiting with esc works, however). :(

Any suggestions, please?