35 replies to this topic

#1 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:06 AM

Weidu log

Spoiler

Does mod amount impact the performance of GemRB? When I run Baldur's Gate II (Classic PC version) under GemRB I see considerable script lag. I can hear music playing during loading screen. All NPCs takes 3-5 seconds to appear on the map after loading screen. NPCs move slowly like they had something muddy in their pants. Spell casting and fighting lags. Is there way to optimize things in GemRB? I have already installed generalized biffing. Within one week I willing be getting a new PC with good quality CPU and GPU. Maybe that will help? Intel® Core™ Processor i9-7940X & GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti. Right now I am using 2009 laptop with Geforce 9800M GTS and Intel Core Duo P8700 2.53 GHz.

Normal vanilla BG II without GemRB runs perfectly without lag.

Edited by zelazko, 29 September 2018 - 06:23 PM.

#2 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3139 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:38 AM

New hardware won't help.

Is any of that mods heavily modding baldur.bcs? That's what usually caused lag in the original.

People have played with BGT successfully, but I don't know about SCS — never tried it myself.

GemRB - IE anywhere.
Mages needed! Looking for Planescape: Torment testers
Play android version IS NOT SUPPORTED ANYMORE: reported bugs will be ignored! Still looking for builders ...

#3 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:25 AM

New hardware won't help.

Is any of that mods heavily modding baldur.bcs? That's what usually caused lag in the original.

People have played with BGT successfully, but I don't know about SCS — never tried it myself.

I am unable find the file in the game directory. What does this file do?

////Edit:

http://www.shsforums...-sod-installed/

SoD uses bdbaldur.bcs (defined in campaign.2da). No idea about trilogy's inner workings, though - I suppose there must be readme somewhere, explaining what to install in what order.

Interesting small query on baldur.bcs lead us again to mod called Shadow Over Soubar mod SoS won't let install 10person party mod and it uses baldur.bcs which likely casues this lag. Also I have installed component

~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Remorhaz walking speed adjustment (for ENGLISH version .EXE ONLY!!!): 1.13

It could be messing up animations and cause lag in GemRB.

I will go over and reinstall game and mods from scratch leaving Shadow over Soubar out of my mod list.

Edited by zelazko, 20 September 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#4 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3139 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

Tobex and that SOS component should have no effect, at least in the exe patching way, since it's not used.

GemRB - IE anywhere.
Play android version IS NOT SUPPORTED ANYMORE: reported bugs will be ignored! Still looking for builders ...

#5 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:15 AM

I got the word from WoBG expert dude (dradiel at http://baldur.cob-bg.pl/) and he told me that without Tobex the game on mega installations becomes unplayable immediately starting new game or in mid play-through. Is there way for GemRB and Tobex to run together?

He also mentioned to avoid mods injecting blocks of scripts into baldur.bsc especially when they contain triggers HasItem or PartyHasItem ([Detectable spells (required for most other components] - component from SCS). He also mentioned vanilla lag issue even on unmoded game occurs when system play too much ambient sounds. Looks like currently the only thing I can do is to cut down on my mega installation and pick few especial mods to go with.

Edited by zelazko, 21 September 2018 - 09:26 AM.

#6 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3139 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:45 AM

Disregard his tobex comment, since he doesn't know gemrb. It is true though we don't support all tobex features yet, so if any of the mods uses for example "eval", that won't be executed correctly. Don't know any user, so it remains a code stub.

baldur.bcs: yes, that's what I was talking about. It runs each tick, so if you overdo it (or it is done poorly), it can cause lagging. If you say SOS was the major culprit, just play without that.

I don't think ambient music causes any problems in gemrb — never seen anything like that.

GemRB - IE anywhere.

#7 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:28 AM

What mod do you use alternative for Sword Coast Stratagems? BG II enemies are pretty dumb and it is easy to outsmart their cavemen tactics. Btw how do you increase default framerate of 30 in GemRB?

DrawFPS=60 this value in gemrb.cfg doesn't seem to have any effect neither 40 nor 50.

On the flip side I am surprised why generalized biffing didn't work for GemRB. With my mega installation listed in the Wiedu log - first post the game was lagging but as soon as I installed generalized biffing the lag disappear. I wonder why biffing doesn't work for GemRB if it could work it would solve a lot of performance issues with mods.

Edited by zelazko, 21 September 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#8 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3139 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

I don't use SCS.

Framerate can only be increased by changing a hardcoded value and recompiling.

Generalized biffing: never had a problem, but also gemrb doesn't usually need it, since it has better file management code. What problem did you hit that you say it doesn't work?

GemRB - IE anywhere.

#9 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:38 PM

http://gibberlings3....687#entry263207 As per this post I finally managed to fire up GemRB on unmodded game. The lag still persist although slightly less but you can see major difference between vanilla game and GemRB game. Spell animations stops and then 1 second before finishing casting it appears back - the same goes with combat. The enemy is laying dead on the floor and the killing NPC will give last weapon swing. There are major delays in animations. The heavily modded setup is not here for blame when unmodded game lags.

Framerate can only be increased by changing a hardcoded value and recompiling.

I would appreciate if you tell me how to do it. :)

I want to set it to 40 which is optimal for cutscenes. Setting it to 60 makes everyone run like they are on cocaine.

Edited by zelazko, 22 September 2018 - 05:22 PM.

#10 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3139 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:38 PM

In gemrb ai update speed is not tied to FPS, so you wouldn't see a difference. Waste of time, especially if you haven't compiled anything before. If you have, it would be interesting for various debugging purposes.

Lag is quite bizarre for a desktop machine, are you getting any interesting output?

GemRB - IE anywhere.

#11 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

In gemrb ai update speed is not tied to FPS, so you wouldn't see a difference.

In vanilla game you can set up FPS in configuration ranging from default 30 to 60. I would want to do something like that in GemRB. Famerate in my GemRG shows between 25 - 29/30. Maybe increasing framerate alone will help cure the lag.

are you getting any interesting output?

For example like?

///Edit:

Spoiler

This is my config. Maybe I am doing something wrong in there and get lags...

Edited by zelazko, 23 September 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#12 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3139 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:04 PM

No, that's not the way FPS works. We have a limit of 30 just so it doesn't bog down your computer, as there is no benefit to rendering more often. The original tied it to scripting speed, otherwise nobody would even touch it.

output like tons of errors, especially if they are repeating.

GemRB - IE anywhere.

#13 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:59 AM

Spoiler

[ResourceManager/ERROR]: Couldn't find 'kobolsu.bcs'.

[ResourceManager/ERROR]: Couldn't find 'CLABMA01.2da'.

[ResourceManager/ERROR]: Couldn't find 'wqMS1ca.bam'.

[GameScript/ERROR]: Actionoverride failed for object:
[GameScript/DEBUG]: IDS Targeting: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

[KeyMap]: Looking up key: t(t)
[KeyMap]: RunFunction(GUIMP::*)
[Python/ERROR]: ImportError: No module named GUIMP

[KEYImporter/ERROR]: Cannot find DATA\PROGTEST.BIF...
[KEYImporter/ERROR]: Cannot find DATA\PROGTES2.BIF...
[KEYImporter/ERROR]: Cannot find DATA\DESOUND.BIF...

[ResourceManager/ERROR]: Couldn't find 'itemdata.2da'.

I listed those who like to repeat itself a few times.

We have a limit of 30 just so it doesn't bog down your computer, as there is no benefit to rendering more often

No. 30 FPS in vanilla looks passable but sluggish. When you set FPS to 40 in BGConfig.exe game looks smooth like it was in BG1. You also get walking speed just like in BG1.

Edited by zelazko, 24 September 2018 - 08:53 AM.

#14 lynx

lynx
  • Modders
  • 3139 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

The log looks fine, so I'm out of ideas, sorry. It's in the realm of profiling now, which is not easy at all.

GemRB - IE anywhere.

#15 zelazko

zelazko
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

Would sending you my entire game directory help you diagnose?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users