Can't decompress area bif

5 replies to this topic

#1 Truman

Truman
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

Been a while.

I ran into a problem recently. I am in AR6100 and i am trying to enter Sendai's enclave. Every time i try the game crashes and i get the message that the game is trying to get the area, AR6100, from CD5. I tried using DLTCEP to decompress the area and it keeps failing. Why is that?

I picked up a tool some time ago from one of the Baldur's Gate web sites that can uncompress the bif files for the BG series. It works, but, apparently not for this area bif file. What am i doing wrong? What am i missing?

#2 Sam.

Sam.
  • Modders
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

Been a while.

I ran into a problem recently. I am in AR6100 and i am trying to enter Sendai's enclave. Every time i try the game crashes and i get the message that the game is trying to get the area, AR6100, from CD5. I tried using DLTCEP to decompress the area and it keeps failing. Why is that?

I picked up a tool some time ago from one of the Baldur's Gate web sites that can uncompress the bif files for the BG series. It works, but, apparently not for this area bif file. What am i doing wrong? What am i missing?

A blind guess, but if multiple tools that usually work are throwing errors on this file, then maybe it was corrupted when it was read from the CD?  Try copying it off of the CD again, or obtaining it from a different source.  Do you have mods installed that might have modified the file(s) involved?

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

-- to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

Posted Image
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#3 Truman

Truman
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:10 PM

First i copied the area file from the original cd. I put one copy in the CD5 directory, one copy in the Data directory and one file in the Cache directory. I tried the game as is and had the same result. I opened DLTCEP and tried to decompress the file and got the same message, 'Decompression Failed'. I called up the area file in DLTCEP and pushed the check file button. I don't know how comprehensive that particular feature is, but, nothing happened.

Your mention of any of the other mods that i installed, could have changed things. I have included a copy of the WeiDU log.

Attached File  WeiDU.log   54.67KB   7 downloads

If there is something that has corrupted things, does this mean that the save game is also corrupted. In which case it is beyond hope and i will have to reinstall?

#4 Truman

Truman
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:16 AM

Did some more thinking about the AREA6100. I tried to  CluaConsole, MoveToArea("AR6101"),("AR6102"), ("AR6103") and had the same result. So, the problem must be buried inside the save game, or dialog.tlk or CHITIN.KEY or some other place that I can't alter or edit. This means that the game is corrupted beyond repair. Crap.

Just to make sure that it is not AREA6100, I started a bare bones install and tried to MoveToArea again and it was successful. No problem.

Well, it's not the first install to go bad for me, and I am sure it will not be the last. Crap.

I may never know what exactly went wrong, but, I hope it doesn't happen again.

#5 Avenger

Avenger
  • Modders
  • 3803 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:04 AM

One thing that may have gone wrong is, decompressing an area may cause the game to fail. In this case you need to delete the tis from the override to get things go back to normal. I think this happens only in the original game.

#6 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:56 AM

One thing that may have gone wrong is, decompressing an area may cause the game to fail. In this case you need to delete the tis from the override to get things go back to normal. I think this happens only in the original game.

++

It happens randomly when you open areas with DLTCEP.

CARPE DIEM...

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users