Preview: Player-initiated dialogue

Glam Vrock

I had no plans to include this at first, but my testers pointed out that he'd feel empty alongside the BG1 NPC Project without it. And they were right.

Below is one of many conversations you'll now be able to have with Vynd. There are other dialogue options, but if you want to see them, you'll have to wait for the release!

js7uEWA.jpg

As far as I know, drow children are raised by Lolth's Handmaidens?

Can you give me a source on this? This seems very strange if it's true. Lolth's Handmaidens are supposed to be a big, scary deal in drow society, so I can't imagine them being relegated to child-rearing. Unless you meant handmaidens with a small h?

My apologies, I seem to have gotten this wrongly. I could have sworn I googled this, but now I only find references stating that the children are raised within the families, mostly by elder siblings and tutors (for the noble families) before they go to some other educational institutions dependning on the families' influence and the child's gender.

I've really been wondering why drow aren't chidfree, too. I mean, why would they have children, and more than one? (And often more than four, if you read the books), They could make slaves birth and rear children, and then take the strongest one. That would turn the society into a dictatorial meritocracy, too - fun and cool. Kind of like Sith - only instead of Force-sensitives you have Lloth-sensitive(i.e. potential clerics and also mages).

My own personal explanation would be that pregnancy gives drow women special powers and Lloth' favor - they're well-protected(Lloth' wrath would strike those who attack pregnant Matron Mothers, for example), and hence, they do have children often - self-preservation is a worthy motivation.

(Does Abdel have a "yeah, kicking babies to drow pits is cool!" reply? Because my dark characters would totally choose it.)

My dim memories of Salvator's books are that the more noble girls a House has, the better power-wise. IIRC, it's actually not easy for Drow to have off-springs. Different cities obviously have different ways to worship Lloth, but noble-born children are a powerbase of each House. The closest I can think of is medieval Rome with everyone against everyone, clan against clan. In that setting kids are important tools, and blood is a deciding factor. Slaves are just no good. The FR setting is somewhat medieval, so the attitudes towards children will be different from modern industrialized one.

Just made an account just to tell you how much I'm looking forward to give Vynd a try! I've been following the development of your NPC quite a while and he sounds really great, especially his/your sense of humor.

Is the release gonna be any time soon? (Only a little bit of pressure intended ;-) )

Just made an account just to tell you how much I'm looking forward to give Vynd a try! I've been following the development of your NPC quite a while and he sounds really great, especially his/your sense of humor.

Is the release gonna be any time soon? (Only a little bit of pressure intended ;-) )

Yes! In fact, I've already submitted him for public release, so the date is no longer up to me. Go pressure the admins instead!

He sounds so beautiful in a let's have a wild bromance sort of way. Are him and Vic frenemies?

Uhhh

Let's just say relations are strained.

Great character, something a little different but does take getting used too. My favourite moment so far has been when I gave 100 gold to the slaves in cloakwood. Very funny! Closely followed by the encounter with Drizzt

Makes a perfect character to go exploring areas solo, backstabbing guards especially in cloakwood and nashkel

But two questions, if having a drow in the party causes you to lose reputation when you take in Viconia, why not the same with Vynd?

Though it seems to me to be lacking n the relationship between Vynd and Imoen. Strikes me that Imoen would be fascinated by a character like Vynd, especially as he arrives early in the game. Is that something that might change?

Archived