Community Filename Prefix Reservations

...and the master table is back up. An archive copy as been pinned at the top of this forum, but please note - the best and most efficient way of making sure mods don't mess with other mods and with vanilla game resources is to register a prefix at BWL.

I agree with the general sentiment, but as a matter of pedantry, vanilla game resources don't care if you register a prefix or not ???

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=21873

This is an archive of Community Prefix reservations for the i.e. modding community. The official list is maintained at BWL by Baronius.

community_prefix_020601.htm

The source topic and discussion here at G3 can be found here .

If you are looking to register your prefix, post, email, or otherwise contact Baronius at forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=113 to register, so that mods don't accidentally mess with each other.

This list is for archival purposes only.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...st&p=181942

..and the master table is back up. An archive copy as been pinned at the top of this forum, but please note - the best and most efficient way of making sure mods don't mess with other mods and with vanilla game resources is to register a prefix at BWL. Having more than one 'official' registration site defeats the purpose of making sure unique prefixes are used/available. This thread is *not* the place to register prefixes - requests to do so will be cheerfully ignored smile.gif

Unless BWL goes offline permanently (as defined by a period spanning months, not weeks) or registration as a visitor begins to require a fee, then the answer you will get at PPG, at SHS, and at G3 (and I am pretty sure at CoM) will be "we have one list, one maintainer". Evidence of the strong need for this can be found in the fact that the community hosting it does not always play nicely with others, yet we are all saying "this is Baronius' territory - he volunteered and took over the list".

Please register your prefixes at BWL. It will help other modders avoid messing with your stuff accidentally.

Edited by cmorgan
Over at BWL, registered users who don't pay 5$ to upgrade their membership are called visitors and can only register a prefix and browse a couple of other threads.
Well, they can post in more than a few threads... but the posts will only show up when the site managers wishes them to, if they wish them to, so ...

Is there some kind of list of what and what not characters (not the specific combinations, but the characters themselves) can be properly recognized by the BG or EE engine, and thus are available for prefixes? as we seem to be running out of the conventional ones. I noticed the use of the "section sign" ( § ) and that began me thinking that perhaps the use of some other unconventional characters might free up some possibilities. The "dagger signs" ( † ‡ ) come to mind, deos anyone at least know if they work?

Is there some kind of list of what and what not characters (not the specific combinations, but the characters themselves) can be properly recognized by the BG or EE engine, and thus are available for prefixes?

Well, if you check out the prefix thread at blackwyrmlair thread. ...

First possibility: [A-Za-z][0-9A-Za-z#_!-]

Second possibility: [#][A-Za-z_!-]

Aka you can have -- as you prefix, but no †-. As the first is not in the base character set that the operation system uses, the 127 that make up the first half of the 255 non-ansi charset that the operation system uses. The later half is what ever your Windows version utilizes, be it Windows 1252 aka Latin code page, or that of others.

And if you put the dagger signs in to file names in a .rar archive, there's a good chance that it throws you cheese from non-native-english Windows users, because their code page is different.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

So looking over the list: it appears that "XT" is available, but at the moment it seems that registering (or any communication) with BWL is impossible, so could someone register it for me? I've published several mods already, [ 3.5 Edition/ Pathfinder style Tweaks Collection (thac0, Constitution, hit dice) ], but now I'm approaching the point in my work where I'm going to start adding new files to the game, rather than just patching existing files.

Would someone be so kind to post this request from maus into the prefix reservation thread at Blackwyrm Lair:

maus: changing my prefix to M$ (from M#) due to collision. I don't expect that my older stuff is played anymore, so no actual collision should occur.
Seradin is also using S#, but she is definitely inactive regarding modding and won't change anything.