Proposed new design for Taralash (longbow +4/+5)

mercurier

Hi Guys,

I would like to share some of my recent thoughts in making Longbow proficiency more useful in ToB.

The key of the design is to grant a ToB longbow ammo-free feature, with other secondary effects matching its background. The reason is obvious: in current IR® all other launcher types (shortbow, xbow, and sling) have an artifact or two that can shoot without ammo, so it is strange for the longbow family not having one. And IMO it is exactly the sparcity of +3 and +4 arrows makes longbow less useful than other launcher types in ToB.

So here is my proposed implementation:

Taralash +4 (+5)

Instead of shooting physical arrows, this magical bow creates high-intensity, precisely-directed ultrasonic wave beams that, damage the target's inner structure while leaving its soft surface (like furs) intact, making it a dream weapon for a hunter. A living target will sometimes be disoriented due to the sonic impact on its brain.

Combat statistics:

THAC0: +4 (+5)

Damage: ultrasonic wave beam that does 4D4 (5D4) blunt damage (per the Sound Burst spell in SR)

Enchantment level is 4 (5) in demtermining what it can hit.

Combat ability: (very similar to its crippling ability in IRR)

Disorienting: 15% (25%) chance to slow (SR's variant) target for a half turn, ineffective against non-living.

Note:

• This bow is used by the ranger from the war party in final seal level of WK. It is already a tough fight, and I think the proposed new version will make it slightly tougher (Yay!)
  • The +1 APR from IR's design was removed because that would be too powerful IMO, and Demi himself was somehow uncomfortable in abusing Tugan's signature ability.
  • The Disorienting effect might allow for a save vs polymorph with some penalty to balance it. I have not played ToB for a long time so the exact penalty is open to suggestion.
Edited by mercurier

Looks overly strong, but I don't feel that convinced about it either way. I would like to comment on one thing - you seemed to suggest that not having magical arrows that the launcher creatures was a weakness of the long bow class, when from my point of view, it's actually a strength...at least in ToB, because you can use other magical projectiles, including quivers of plenty and the such, that can double your damage and THAC0 bonuses (at least when using the weapon changes sub-component...not so much if you don't, I suppose), while launchers that do have magically conjured projectiles do not get the double bonus. The only weakness in that approach is the enchantment bonus - there aren't any projectiles that have greater than +3. I don't think any enemies besides like the Lesser Demon Lord in the Underdark are immune to anything more than +2, though...but I could be wrong.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Just need to psir it with the "Enchant the Launchers" mod from Dee, it gives the bow's enchantment bonus to all ammunition fired from it. Great little mod.

Good to know! Will be on my mod list for my next playthrough :D

@Bartimaeus,

I think subtledoctor had made the point for me. In IR/IRR's framework, we need either +4 arrows or some longbows that conjure +4 arrows to make this launcher type complete. This is exactly why I am starting this topic.

And I am not sure the proposed designed is OP:

Manabow +4 with +2 arrow will have 4+2+1d6 = 9.5 damage on average, an easily available option at the end of SoA.

The proposed Taralash will be 4d4=10 (5d4=12.5) damage on average, slightly higher, but still does not bypass PFMW or stoneskin due to its blunt damage type. It will be more effective against armored mobs as AC and resistance against blunt is usually worse than that against missile. The on hit effect can be tuned by adjusting the save penalty, as most ToB mobs have already good saves.

With this design implemented, the net effect would be that Longbows, usable by warriors, generally hit harder; other launcher types have more utility, and are usable by more classes.

Edited by mercurier