Weidu Best Practices - request for guide

Another thing but not related directly to Weidu.

Mods adding new areas should provide the Tis+PVRZ converted files with their mod and use them if GAME_IS any of the EE's. Just to stop the *horizontal lines* discussion every other week...

Yes, and all unicorns should have wings.

No, but seriously (i.e. trolling aside), I understand someone actually devised a utility for this? Or did I just dream it?

Mods adding new areas should provide the Tis+PVRZ converted files with their mod and use them if GAME_IS any of the EE's. Just to stop the *horizontal lines* discussion every other week...

No, but seriously (i.e. trolling aside), I understand someone actually devised a utility for this? Or did I just dream it?

Tile2EE by Argent77

Tile2EE by Argent77

Yes, of course, my point in this thread here about best practice for Weidu mods, is to use it for a mod that adds new areas, thus those lines most likely not appear.

Tile2EE by Argent77

Yes, of course, my point in this thread here about best practice for Weidu mods, is to use it for a mod that adds new areas, thus those lines most likely not appear.

Using tile2ee to create TISv2+PVRZ does not necessarily solve the problem of the horizontal lines completely as there are more conditions involved than just the file format.

The best practice currently is to use tile2ee in reversed direction: include a full set of TISv2+PVRZ files in the mod (e.g. created with Near Infinity), and convert it into TISv1 on-the-fly when installed in the classic games. The tool comes with a library that greatly simplifies the conversion process. (Pleasant side effects are smaller file size compared to TISv1, or negligible loss of quality compared to tispack/tisunpack.)

Even without the lines issue I would recommend to install TISv2+PVRZ since the classic TISv1 format introduces a noticeable performance hit in EE games.

I've noticed the horizontal lines on some mods, yeah--Sirine's Call adds lines to the lighthouse area in BGEE for its new doors, but I didn't notice any lines for G3 Anniversary's new area. Still, I'd rather get G3A up to current standards.

So if I'm following, best practice would be to create a TIS v2 directly from source, ship that with the mod, and use tile2ee to convert it to the old TIS format when installing on non-EE games.

When source is no longer available (like G3A), the alternative would to unpack the existing TIZ with good ole tisunpack to make a v1 TIS--hopefully, like G3A, the TIZ was built with the lossless (100 quality) compression--then open it with NI, and do Export > as PVRZ-based TIS to get your TIS v2.

The even better news is that, for G3A's one small area, the PVRZ-based files are smaller than the original, compressed TIZ by about a third.

Archived