Opcode #83 and Projectl.ids

Grammarsalad

I'm sure that I'm missing something here, but bringing this up just to be sure.

I was using #83 to set a protection vs. the Sol's searing orb projectile in EE. When I look at the actual object, I see that it is listed as projectile "258". However, when I enter 258 into param2, I see that it protects vs. 'the new hold necromancy' (see the screenshot far left). I thought that this was a hex vs decimal thing, but that didn't turn out to be correct. Rather, 'the new hold necromancy' projectile is merely the next projectile as listed in projectl.ids. If I set pram2 to 257, then it appears to correctly project against 'PFIRE3'. I decided to check the first entry in the actual item, and I see that it is "1-none" whereas in projectl.ids I see "0x1 ARROW" (also in the screenshot to the right and center respectively.). Doesn't 1 = 0x1? Should the effect protect vs "258" or "257"?

(edit: Okay, I don't know how to add attachments, but this can easily be checked for any item and projectl.ids...)

edit2: If I set param2 to "1" is says that it protects from "ARROW"

Don't know what it means to a programmer, but as a modder it means Opcode 83 and 197 (immunity and reflection) cannot effect a spell or ranged* weapon using Projectile "0", since a value of "0" in opcode 83/197 equals a value of "1" in a item/spells projectile field.

* Melee weapons default to Projectile "1" regardless of the value set.

Don't know what it means to a programmer, but as a modder it means Opcode 83 and 197 (immunity and reflection) cannot effect a spell or ranged* weapon using Projectile "0", since a value of "0" in opcode 83/197 equals a value of "1" in a item/spells projectile field.

* Melee weapons default to Projectile "1" regardless of the value set.

Thanks k.

This projectile id -1 thing is indeed annoying, we inherited this from the original IE and there is no way to fix it without breaking everything already done.

@Kjeron - there is no projectile 0. A value of 0 would mean no projectile.

@Grammersalad - well, missile.ids is not read by the engine at all, it might have been used by some in-house editor at Bioware, and dltcep also uses it, only to display sane names. Modders are encouraged to update missile ids according to projectl.ids (mind the -1 difference)

@Grammersalad - well, missile.ids is not read by the engine at all, it might have been used by some in-house editor at Bioware, and dltcep also uses it, only to display sane names. Modders are encouraged to update missile ids according to projectl.ids (mind the -1 difference)

I think NI uses it in selection boxes to show the more descriptive names instead of the pro file names.

@Kjeron - there is no projectile 0. A value of 0 would mean no projectile.

Yes, but it's still a valid projectile value for items, spells, and projectile explosions. Is there some other functional difference between the using a projectile value of 0 or 1 other than interaction with these 2 opcodes? They are both hardcoded to effect an instant-hit, no-animation, no-sound, single-target.

The only other projectile field I know of that doesn't use the +1 offset(and thus cannot use the "no projectile" projectile value 0) is the Secondary Projectile(0x214) of an Area of Effect *.pro file, which makes sense as that field is visual-only, its projectile doesn't carry the effects.

Archived