Mac install problem

Guest s w raly

Guest s w raly

I will apologize right off the bat because I'm a very new user and I'm certain I'm missing something really simple but I have been unable to install the Mac version of the fixpack.

I get the following error message:

dyld: /Users/raly/Desktop/raly-werke/lists/BG II/WeiDU/weidu-mac can't open library: /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Tk (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

If anyone knows why or how to fix this I would be appreciative. Thanks.

Best, swr

Apparently, the latest version of weidu-mac (v.195) is set to use X11 windows if you run it from Finder. You don't have X11 installed which is a special download from Apple.com. Older versions ran using Terminal. You can make it work like it did before:

1) Control-click or right click on Setup-bg2fixpack (NOT Setup-bg2fixpack.command) and choose Get Info. This should bring up a small window with file info for it.

2) One of the entries is "Open with:". It is set to "Not applicable" or "X11". You want to change it to Terminal. Do this by clicking on the bar and choose "Other...". This brings up the "Choose Other Application" menu. First choose "Utilities" and then "Terminal". You may have to change Recommended Applications to All Applications to make it selectable.

3) You can now double-click Setup-bg2fixpack.command and it should run like it did before.

Guest s w raly

I appreciate the help, but unfortunately I still wasn't able to get it to work. After doing what you suggested, I double-click Setup-bg2fixpack.command and get the same error.

I noticed a couple of things however:

1) I actually do have X11 installed, but have never really used it.

2) I do not have this tk.framework folder in System/Library at all.

3) I am not sure if I have WeiDu correctly installed - or am I certain it needs to be pre-installed.

[What I mean is that I experimented with other WeiDu mods, namely 'unfinished business', and got it to work.]

4) I downloaded the WeiDu for Mac install program from Loriel but can't seem to get it to run correctly either. [When I run it in Terminal the script just gives me the option of returning to the main menu or quiting.]

http://loriel.quixjote.com/index.php?page=2.0&mod=weidu

I apologize once again for my naivete, and perhaps I am just in over my head, but I appreciate any help in solving this. Thanks again.

@Steve

Thanks for jumping in to help. I don't have a Mac, so I can't offer any troubleshooting help. Hopefully devSin, Gorilym, or one of the other OS X users can jump in as well to help.

@s w raly

Sorry you're having problems. I packaged the OS X version of the Fixpack in the same way as the other OS X mods here at G3--if there's something we can change in the packaging to assist, just let us know.

This is either my fault or the bigg's fault. The Tcl/Tk stuff shouldn't be necessary unless you're trying to run weigui, but I've never looked into how the bigg hooked everything up.

This could be a version problem; weidu is compiled on Mac OS X 10.4.x, and I only briefly check that weidu itself can be launched on that version. There's no code to influence LaunchServices, so what application is launched when you double-click should be local to your system.

Short of having somebody compile weidu on an earlier version of Mac OS X, I'm not sure what any workaround would be, sorry.

Well, I guess we'll have to do this the old fashioned way.

1) Run Terminal. It's found in /Applications/Utilities. A command window should open.

2) Type "cd" in the window, then a space. Drag and drop your Baldur's Gate folder on the window then press RETURN.

3) If you haven't already, move the contents of OSX-BG2_Fixpack-Beta2 Folder into your Baldur's Gate folder.

4) Type "Setup-bg2fixpack" then press RETURN.

You should now be running the fixpack installer. Answer the questions and you're done.

By the way, Setup-bg2fixpack is just weidu-mac renamed. I should have mentioned this before to avoid confusion.

As far as Unfinished Business working, it uses an older version of weidu-mac. As far as I know, BG2Fixpack is the only one that uses version 195.

Guest s w raly

I'd like to thank everyone for helping out so that I can use the Fixpack. I took Steve up on his link to an Aqua-native Tk installer and figured I'd give it a try. After that, runnning the Fixpack worked beautifully. (I also tried the Tweak pack and now it works too.)

I did use the TclTk installer rather than the stand alone version (which was a bit more difficult for me to figure out how to use).

see TclTkAqua-8.4.10.dmg on http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/

I have no idea if this would work for anyone running an earlier version of Mac OS X (I use 10.3.9), however it's worth suggesting to anyone who has the same difficulty I did.

Again, thanks, I really appreciate the effort, and the fact that I can use the excellent Fixpack to better enjoy this game.

Guest Guest_sturmvogel_*

Well, this explains how I got an error message when I tried it with WeiDU 188. Now to try and install 195; I've gotten too used to Loriel's Mac installers :( And I can't get to the Adventure's Grill and Forums to find the thread where Loriel walked me through some of this stuff a year or two ago!

Had to re-download it and then installed X11, but I did get it to install OK. Although I am getting some odd messages from some of the other mods. Here's one example:

[BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2]  ERROR at line 19381 column 1-5
Near Text: GROUP
	Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

Haven't yet tried to play it as I'm building from a completely virgin installation.

Had to re-download it and then installed X11, but I did get it to install OK. Although I am getting some odd messages from some of the other mods. Here's one example:

[BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2]  ERROR at line 19381 column 1-5
Near Text: GROUP
	Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

Haven't yet tried to play it as I'm building from a completely virgin installation.

In my experience you get this type of error message when installing a mod with an older version of WeiDU "on top of" a newer one - say you begin with installing the Fixpack which uses v.195, and then install an older mod using an included .command file - the mod will automatically use the older version of WeiDU that it was packaged with. I don't know whether this is purely cosmetic or not, but personally I prefer installing mods via the Terminal so I know the most recent version of WeiDU is being used.

Guest Wanderer
In my experience you get this type of error message when installing a mod with an older version of WeiDU "on top of" a newer one - say you begin with installing the Fixpack which uses v.195, and then install an older mod using an included .command file - the mod will automatically use the older version of WeiDU that it was packaged with. I don't know whether this is purely cosmetic or not, but personally I prefer installing mods via the Terminal so I know the most recent version of WeiDU is being used.

How do you install via Terminal? Is there a short set of commands that will work with any Weidu mod that's in the BG2 directory? Also, would replacing the command file with the v.195 Weidu-Mac accomplish the same thing in each case?

How do you install via Terminal? Is there a short set of commands that will work with any Weidu mod that's in the BG2 directory? Also, would replacing the command file with the v.195 Weidu-Mac accomplish the same thing in each case?

First, ensure you have the newest version of WeiDU (get it here) installed on the system level, (run the included script, if you have trouble installing read this thread), fire up the Terminal, cd to your BGII folder, and type

weidu-mac <insert_name_of_applicable_tp2_here> --tlkout dialog.tlk

for each mod you want to install.

Archived