Question About "Rest Anywhere" Component

Torvald

Hello,

I have played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 many times in the past, and recently completed Pillars of Eternity, so am now making another run at BG2 (SoA and ToB). Tried doing a Big World Setup install, but it wouldn't work properly for me, so instead have just completed a manual install of about 60 BG2 mods. The install went well, and the game seems to be working okay. However, am having second thoughts about one of my install choices, so wanted to ask here before attempting to uninstall and re-install anything.

BG2 Tweaks v16 was almost my last installed mod, with only aTweaks v4.40 beta 3 and BP-BGT Worldmap v10.1 installed afterwards. (NOTE: I have NOT yet installed generalized biffing)

During the install of BG2 Tweaks, I chose not to use the "Rest Anywhere" component. However, I am wondering if I made the correct choice, as I think I may have actually used this component in past BG2 games.

Question1: How much easier does the "Rest Anywhere" component make game playing of BG2 SoA and ToB? In other words, which new types of areas does it allow you to rest in?

Question 2: Do most people use the "Rest Anywhere" component, or do most skip it?

Question 3: What would be the best/safest way to re-run BG2 Tweaks if I wanted to now select the "Rest Anywhere" component? Or is it too late to do so, since I installed the aTweaks and BP-BGT Worldmap mods afterwards?

subtledoctor,

Thanks for the quick response.

I've only ever installed mods in one continuous path, without further adjustments. I wasn't sure if going back and trying to install more components or make any changes would cause my existing mods to uninstall or re-install (which might mess up my overall game), so simply played it safe.

However, I will follow your excellent suggestion to back up my game folder, and then try re-running BG2 Tweaks. I will try skipping over all of the components until I get to "Rest Anywhere", select that one only, and then quit the mod install. Hopefully, that will be safe enough.

... try re-running BG2 Tweaks. I will try skipping over all of the components until I get to "Rest Anywhere", select that one only, and then quit the mod install. Hopefully, that will be safe enough.

Just use the setup-bg2_tweaks.exe, in the game folder to do this.

Those are a few of the base functions of the weidu mods and so there's really no need to play as safe as you do, but sure you of course can, and are welcome to be safe.

1. It allows you to rest in the areas that have been set to not allow you to rest normally(via .are flag). Like inside an inn without a rented room, shops that that can close their doors for night etc, so long as there's no summoned guards. It should only works in the areas you have not yet visited in your save game. So if you have been in the Elfsong Tavern(or in the Eastern Baldur's Gate) already in the BGT game, you can't rest in the direct view of the inn keeper(as in, without renting a room from him :p ).

2. Most people probably skip it due to it being kinda cheesy.

3. Like said, it's safe to install at any point really. It can be done even after the Gen_Bif... it just undoes the biffing for some of the .are files(the ones that are patched). But those files are really tiny, and so the difference between the -.are's being biffed and not- is non existing.

The topic made me wonder how come there isn't a tweak for even more limited resting?

One very common complain is how spammable resting is and how it removes all challenge. True, you must be a bit of a tool to ruin your game on purpose and then whine about it, but it's so commonly heard that I'd expect to be more demand for such a tweak.

The topic made me wonder how come there isn't a tweak for even more limited resting?

Well, one of the SCS's components lets you sleep only ones in the start dungeon... and the resting in Amn is really based on the fact that you either sleep in the graveyard, which is kinda terrible place. Or you sleep in the Inns, and there's a few mods that raise their costs. Or you can sleep at your stronghold, or in the sewers with the monsters.

Well, one of the SCS's components lets you sleep only ones in the start dungeon...

True, there are places that resting is prohibited and the SCS change in the starting dungeon is good one. I would prefer it if you couldn't sleep at all, but mechanically is not really smooth unless you like casters slinging all the way through.

But I was referring more to dungeons. For example once you enter Abazigal's lair you can take 20 days to finish it. Personally I don't need someone to dictate how I can enjoy the game, but if there was an option for those that need to be whipped in to shape it might prove useful.

Thinking about it I had an idea. Is it possible to run a script when the sleep button is pressed? If it is, a solution to make resting in dangerous places... well... dangerous would be to cast an irresistible 8 hour sleep spell on the party, up the chance for interrupt by roaming baddies (I don't know how that'd be done either :p) and if you are found the other party would have the first strike on you. Of course that would require the wake on hit ToBEx tweak. It might be little more than flavor, but there would be a chance for a few nasty situations. Besides, flavor is good. :)

Archived