Int restrict on level of wizard spells

In the manual's tables, 17 int only allows up to level 8 spells. This works for PC wizards, but for NPC ones, it is ignored. Shouldn't Imoen not be able to cast level 9 spells as she only has 17int? Same as Nalia.

Would it be possible to extend the restricts from int to NPC mages as well? It'd give Edwin a nice bonus of being the only NPC mage being able to cast level 9 spells!

While the #1 rule is to fix all bugs, an important corollary is to not include anything that would enrage enough players to get us lynched. :)

In all seriousness: if the engine is not using the limit set in the file that controls this I doubt there's much we could do to actually enforce it. And that's still not even touching the 'is it a bug?' question.

I'm not sure if it affects PCs either :) can a 10int PC mage cast all spell levels?

I'd say it is a bug, because it is one of the few things that int is meant to help on a mage. A 13int mage shouldn't be able to cast time stop.

Edwin is already a good mage and his necklace is nice too. By enforcing the INT limit on NPC's you ensure that Edwin is always taken as the party mage if the PC isn't the mage. Imoen, Nalia, Aerie, and Jan will never be played. As mentioned you could always raise the INT of an NPC with a book or with the Machine of Lum the Mad.

In support of Cam's comment about not fixing things that will get them lynched, or better yet just keep people from using the mod, Id say that a change like this ought to at least be optional. As such it could rather go in the Tweak pack were you can both remove the % to fail learning spells and the max # of spells learned. This would then be a third option to which I'd be sure to note that it will make the game harder.

In support of Cam's comment about not fixing things that will get them lynched, or better yet just keep people from using the mod, Id say that a change like this ought to at least be optional.  As such it could rather go in the Tweak pack were you can both remove the % to fail learning spells and the max # of spells learned.  This would then be a third option to which I'd be sure to note that it will make the game harder.

Just checked: Intelligence limits on spell levels are not applied; 10 INT mage can learn and cast 9th level spells.

Yes, I think the tweak pack is the place, along with other PnP corrections. Even though it IS a bug, if it's documented one way and not implemented...

Yes, I think the tweak pack is the place, along with other PnP corrections.  Even though it IS a bug, if it's documented one way and not implemented...

I don't think it is documented though, outside of the manual. And the maual also mentions goodies like Wall Climb and Fly... :) I'll check my patched installs and see if I can find anything ingame on this.

I'd like to point out that while a mage with a 10 Int might be able to cast level 9 spells, the limit is still applied to how many they get per level.

I always get the good old "You have learned the maximum number of spells for your intelligence" message all the time.

So, in a sense, at least one of the limits works.

If it makes you feel any better, only clerics with 18 wisdom are supposed to be able to cast 7th level clerical spells, yet Anomen can do it with his 12 wisdom if he doesn't pass his test.

I'd like to point out that while a mage with a 10 Int might be able to cast level 9 spells, the limit is still applied to how many they get per level.

I always get the good old "You have learned the maximum number of spells for your intelligence" message all the time.

So, in a sense, at least one of the limits works.

If it makes you feel any better, only clerics with 18 wisdom are supposed to be able to cast 7th level clerical spells, yet Anomen can do it with his 12 wisdom if he doesn't pass his test.

This doesn't make me feel better but just worse....

I believe the stat-tied casting level restrictions were purposely lifted in ToB, presumably so that everyone could access HLAs. At any rate, that's the conclusion the PBG crew has arrived at, since apparently an SoA-only install with the XP cap removed has the restrictions in place (unless someone is lying to me).

I believe the stat-tied casting level restrictions were purposely lifted in ToB, presumably so that everyone could access HLAs. At any rate, that's the conclusion the PBG crew has arrived at, since apparently an SoA-only install with the XP cap removed has the restrictions in place (unless someone is lying to me).

Confirmed. A 9 int mage in an SoA-only game couldn't write 9th level spells to her book; with ToB installed it was no problem.

Archived