BG1NPC v21 Confirmed WorkList

cmorgan

Good evening,

Sorry to barge into the thread, but I have a fix to submit for bg1npc on bgee. I wasn't sure where else to submit it in the G3 forums.

The "Dexterity Increase" spell called by Imoen's Artifact, x#dex.spl, has the spell name pre-set to BG2 stringref 2688 "Dexterity Increase". Unfortunately, this stringref isn't the same in BGEE. That stringref in BGEE is "You are free by my hand, and none shall cage you again." Poetic, but not exactly descriptive of the spell.

So, I thought a variable could used to fix the issue.

Starting at line 2383 of the bg1npc.tp2:

COPY ~BG1NPC/Phase1/ITM/X#DEX.SPL~ ~override~
WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII 0x08 %dexmodstring% #4  // spell name
WRITE_ASCII 0x10 ~CAS_M08~ #8	// casting sound
WRITE_ASCII 0x3a ~SPWI415C~ #8   // spell icon
WRITE_ASCII 0x76 ~SPWI415B~ #8   // ability #0 icon
WRITE_ASCII 0xDE ~EFF_P07~ #8	// resource

The added line is WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII line.

and in K'aeloree's library of BGEE conversion variables, add OUTER_SET dexmodstring = 25989

and in the G3_cmp_vars libraries for both Tutu and BGT add OUTER_SET dexmodstring = 2688

Does this look correct?

EDIT: Upon reflection, maybe that should that be?

add to bg1npc.tp2:

SAY 8 #%dexmodstring% // spell name

then add to cpm var files:

bgee: OUTER_SPRINT "dexmodstring" "25989"

or

bgtutu/bgt: OUTER_SPRINT "dexmodstring" "2688"

Any advice on which is correct?

You've got the right idea, but there's probably no need to include it in the cross-platform variable section if it's only used in this one place.

I don't think you can use SAY #x because # references must be numbers (not variables). The equivalent would be WRITE_LONG x. WRITE_ASCII won't work.

I would recommend a simple IF statement here to check what the game is and choose the appropriate strref.

COPY ~BG1NPC/Phase1/ITM/X#DEX.SPL~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (GAME_IS ~bgee~) BEGIN
WRITE_LONG 0x08 25989  // spell name "Dexterity Increase"
 END
 ELSE BEGIN
WRITE_LONG 0x08 2688  // spell name "Dexterity Increase"
 END
 WRITE_ASCII 0x10 ~CAS_M08~ #8   // casting sound
 WRITE_ASCII 0x3a ~SPWI415C~ #8   // spell icon
 WRITE_ASCII 0x76 ~SPWI415B~ #8   // ability #0 icon
 WRITE_ASCII 0xDE ~EFF_P07~ #8   // resource

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I reported a bug a few months ago and thought I'd repost it here. In short, Amelia, the ghost you can encounter in Coran's personal quest, is completely unbalanced to the point of being nearly unbeatable:

There is still a major issue with Amelia's balance as of version 20.

She still has immunity to +2 weapons - both melee and projectile. I was playing an Inquisitor with a Long Sword +2, and Kivan and Jaheria both had Arrows +2 and Bullets +2, respectively. All of their weapons were totally ineffective.

The staggeringly high magic resistance does not help the problem, and Amelia's ability to go Etheral makes it impossible to keep up.

The problems I experienced were identical to those reported by a guest user back in November 2009:

I've just played through Coran's quest, and while the quest itself is nice, the fight at the end isn't - she's just too much for a BG1 level party, beyond "challenging" and right into "annoying" territory. Immunity to +2 weapons means the player needs to have already done Durlag's Tower and use a few very specific items to be able to hurt her in melee, fast regeneration, 30% MR and etherealness pretty much kill any chance to hurt her with spells, and level drain simply cannot be undone in BG1, leaving the player with the only option of CTRL-Ring his charachters (and being hit more than once is a death sentence - Kagain bravely withstood 3 hits before dying). Personal suggestion: tone her down a notch; fast regeneration and energy drain abilities are, imho, out of place.

Edit: I just noticed that MR gets bumped to a ridiculous 75% after she goes ethereal... CTRL-Y is all this thing deserves.

Archived