Lanie and PC

Guest Agashi

Guest Agashi

I figured I would throw this out there before you get finished with ToB.

Will there be an opportunity for Charname to become closer to Lanie in future versions of the mod? I was sort of surprised that my PC, being Gavin's wife (Betrothed?) had no chance to speak to Lanie beyond the very short exchange they have when she is first brought to the temple.

Not that the PC should get to outshine Gavin in his visits with his daughter, but maybe if Charname were to initiate dialogue with her herself, they could have a little chat. I dunno... Up to you, of course. Just thought I would suggest it.

Eventually, the PC probably should develop some kind of relationship with Lanie, especially if they plan to have a future together. But that's where I ran into trouble. Some PCs would want to become close with her, others would really prefer to send her off to join the circus. And let's not forget the PCs that would might attempt to manipulate Gavin through Lanie, either, because everybody knows that the quickest way to gain the goodwill of a parent is to praise the child. Or the PC's influence could be less benign.

And then there's Gavin's take on the whole thing. What is his relationship with the PC? Is she a trusted friend he has known since Beregost? Someone he met two days before? A relative stranger? The wife he has not yet told her about? The woman he is newly infatuated with? A woman he used to be engaged to, but who is now only using him for sex? A woman he is attempting to redeem? Is she someone he wants in Lanie's life? Children need stability, especially since Gavin's life is so unsettled, and if there is even the slightest doubt that the PC will continue to be a part of Gavin's life or Lanie's, he would want to prevent the PC from spending too much time with her.

And of course, there's Lanie herself. She is trying hard to be polite to the PC, but in reality, she probably hates her. "You're a stranger." And Lanie is way too young to understand that she is at the temple for her own sake, not just as a convenient place to stick her until Dad gets back from wherever the PC is taking him. She may never understand that. And if the PC is Gavin's lover (married or otherwise), Lanie will only resent her more. She wants to be daddy's princess, the only female in Gavin's life. It would be unhealthy for both Lanie and Gavin if this really were the case, but he'll have a hard time helping her understand that without making her feel unloved.

So, there I was thinking about all of this, looking at the calendar, and thinking "If I don't get this mod out now, it might sit on my hard drive forever."

Even now, I'm not really sure how I could do the complicated situation justice. So far, I haven't attempted it. Someday, though, I might. It would be easy enough to code in, if I could just find the right dialogue.

Guest Agashi

Gak! Sorry, I completely forgot I asked this question! Thanks for replying. ;)

What you say makes a lot of sense, and I guess this is one of those things about Gavin that falls into the "Do we make the PC his wife or fiance" category. There's just too many ways for it to go and I understand that.

And of course, there's Lanie herself. She is trying hard to be polite to the PC, but in reality, she probably hates her. "You're a stranger." And Lanie is way too young to understand that she is at the temple for her own sake, not just as a convenient place to stick her until Dad gets back from wherever the PC is taking him. She may never understand that. And if the PC is Gavin's lover (married or otherwise), Lanie will only resent her more. She wants to be daddy's princess, the only female in Gavin's life. It would be unhealthy for both Lanie and Gavin if this really were the case, but he'll have a hard time helping her understand that without making her feel unloved.

Well, in my mind, this is the main reason why my PC WOULD want to make a connection directly with Lanie herself... to try to convince the little girl that she is not trying to steal her daddy away... But again, I get that not every PC would feel this way and want to go this route. Giving us players the choice to roleplay every which way, in this situation alone, would probably take lots of time writing and coding.

Sorry about that, Berelinde. Don't want you to get overwhelmed! :p Here's to hoping you have smooth sailing with the rest of TOB Gavin.

Archived