Miella's portrait

Briannandoah

At first I had the BGII portraits open on my screen to be able to make comparison, but since the skin and lips did look like plastic, I opened the BGI portraits instead, and tried to do something similar to them :( - they are quite different from the BGII portraits, and I tend to lean toward the fact that BGI portrait are better and I like them more :)

It is the less pleasing effect of the smudge tool is that it tends to make things blurry, and I just got bored to work with the portrait after I had blundered with it several hours... since I realized I really should have started all over from the beginning, not just try to edit the first one I made.

I admit, I am too fond of the Photoshop filters sometimes, and tend to use them instead of trying to colour everything from the beginning. But as I think the BGII portraits weren't done with Photoshop at all, but with some illustrator tool (with better computers and bigger resolution screens than I have), I think it is impossible to achieve exactly similar look with Photoshop and my crappy screen. Especially when I am using mouse (even when we have a wacom pad *sigh* I really should not be that lazy only because the wacom pad is attached to the wrong computer).

Oh well maybe I try again some day. (Besides I have never ever before made an armor by colouring a line drawing - in fact I have never ever made any kind of armor at all. Hmm, maybe I will take the armor off alltogether and give her a dress instead :( - and of course there is always the thing that parts of her armor was supposed to be leather in the original drawing, but I was persistant to make it all metal. Wrong decision, perhaps).

Looks good to me, but I think her lips need to move down and right, just a touch. As for armour/clothes, maybe you can find some suitable examples to steal... er... draw inspiration from. Aklon's clothes are entirely stolen. :)

Looks good to me, but I think her lips need to move down and right, just a touch. As for armour/clothes, maybe you can find some suitable examples to steal... er... draw inspiration from. Aklon's clothes are entirely stolen. :D

Eh, well, when I am doing an original portrait, then it has to be original... ;) Though I did already look for REAL armor from history books, so maybe in the end Miella's armor will look REAL, not the kind of sugar coated version they have on BGII pictures :D We'll see....

And for the mouth - I am trying to keep her looking a person who is quite normal, and that means she has also some faults on the appearance, she is no a pin-up girl or something. The mouth is a bit up, I know, and I poundered it, that should I move it down, but then decided against it. Some people can have their mouths quite near the nose, and have a lot of jaw, even women (me for example :) ). I also tried to get the feeling to the portrait, that she has quite a big teeth :D - little faults here and there, makes her more alive, in my opinion.

EDIT: Though maybe I will move the mouth just a bit, given the thought. Since I made her lips a bit rounder in this version, it kind of changed what they looked like in the earlier version. But not now, I need to get to the RL :)

In fact I had even more Baldurized version of her portrait, but I didn't like it. It didn't look like her any more, and also I don't really like the BGII portraits that much... especially after I managed to get them 'out' of the game and examined them close, they are ummm how would I put it, too sugary and unbelievable and the females are like some pin-up girls with too much make-up :) - I gave Miella some lipstick, but not as much as the original NPC portraits seem to have (as I've mentioned before, they have rubber or plastic lips IMO).

I am going to mess around with this yet, though, and will post here more as soon as I have something.

Archived