Sword Coast Stratagems v28 bugfix thread

Mad Mate

Mad Mate's fixes must be used before install.

Patching things is never easy.

@Mad Mate: Could you add a number identifier to the archive, so it would be easier to identify if "I" need to download the latest archive ?

Sorry about this. I will add numbers after I fix this "Better calls for help" issue.

That line is fine; changing it will fix the problem, but only in the same way that changing it to False() will fix the problem.

You need to isolate the Iron Throne mooks from the other creatures in Candlekeep, so they're on different factions. Look at line 91 and thereafter in help/help.tpa. They need their own Specifics code and a dw#gpsht script in place of Shout(). Something like

LAF edit_creature STR_VAR creature="brunos rieltar tuth kestor" tv=1
                          editstring="strip_script=>%tutu_var%shout insert_script_high=>dw#gpsht specifics=>90"
will probably do it. (Not tested.)

What's going on here is that vBG's SHOUT script doesn't propagate shouts very effectively, so you can get away with giving creatures in different factions the same shout script. SCS shout scripts propagate much better, but that sometimes causes inappropriate creatures to go hostile. The same problem turned up in BGEE, and is solved (a bit crudely) by an alignment check. SCS mostly uses the BG2 strategy of assigning creatures to factions via the SPECIFICS field, and giving them help scripts tied to their specific. (IIRC, on a BGEE install I just leave SHOUT alone, since the BGEE one works okay and I don't want to break anything.)

And it works! Thank you DavidW!

Just before I add this fix, I have a question.

In this part of help/help.tpa, after line 88, where are BG1 special cases, I noticed that you don't remove "%tutu_var%shout" script (like in this line above), so all these creatures with different specifics have SHOUT and DW#GPSHT script.

Will they collide one with another or one takes precedence before another?

Or should I change "strip_script=>dw#gpsh*" with "strip_script=>%tutu_var%shout"?

Thank you!

Pass, sorry. (I think most of them don't have shout, they have bg1-specific help scripts. But I don't recall if I carefully worked out what I needed to remove, or if I just forgot! I'll have a more systematic look when I get around to doing v29.)

Pass, sorry. (I think most of them don't have shout, they have bg1-specific help scripts. But I don't recall if I carefully worked out what I needed to remove, or if I just forgot! I'll have a more systematic look when I get around to doing v29.)

No worries, thanks anyway for everything!

I was on my work break, and randomly checked CRE files mentioned there, and KELDDA.CRE has SHOUT and DW#GPSHT script. I'll go through all of them tonight and check for same scripts. After that I'll post fixed file.

I did some experimenting and it is not good to have SHOUT and DW#GPSHT script on same cre.

I put them on Iron throne leaders (it was fun to CTRL+Y them), and fix doesn't work (all hostile folks, again), even though they have different specifics.

So after brief search, only 4 files came up (I was lucky to check Keldath first): britik, hakt, sirine02 & keldda, so I striped them from their vanilla shout script.

I updated file in first post (with number, Jarno ;-)).

I think that is all for now!

Thanks everybody!

There are some reports about hobgoblins and kobolds casting Detect Evil and such. I found out why.

Hobgoblin and kobold captains (hobcap01.cre & kobcap01.cre) and some kobold shamans (kobsha01.cre & swshaman.cre) are paladins in vanilla game!?!?!

So SCS assumes that they should have paladin spells and behavior. BG2Fixpack staff didn't want to change their class, I think, because of scripting reasons. And DavidW didn't do it, so I think this is not something I should fix.

If you want that SCS gives these 4 creatures their SCS scripts put this 3 lines at the end of initial\initial.tpa (behind golem fix and before END):

LAF edit_creature STR_VAR creature=~hobcap01~ editstring=~class=>FIGHTER~ END
LAF edit_creature STR_VAR creature=~kobsha01 swshaman~ editstring=~class=>CLERIC~ END
LAF edit_creature STR_VAR creature=~kobcap01~ editstring=~class=>KOBOLD~ END

Or if you don't want them touched by SCS, copy somewhere safe these cre files and after SCS install, copy them back in override dir.

Detect evil is also cast by one and only Gnoll Elite (Windspear Hills welcoming party dude). He's CRE is PALKNI03. Only this particular gnoll is a paladin LOL all the rest of them gnolls are [gnolls].

funky pally gnoll:

race - human

aligment - lawfull good

class - paladin

rest of them gnolls:

race - [gnoll]

aligment - chaotic evil

class - [gnoll]

That's pretty amusing since the party that welcomes you in Windspear Hills actually ARE supposedly knights that appear to be monsters due to an illusion; not at all unreasonable that one might be a paladin that casts Detect Evil. Funny thing is of course that if he did, that entire fight might be possible to avoid (barring evil members in the PC's party) ... if not for the fact Bioware chose to completely railroad the plot at that point.

So I guess plot wise, that guy would need to be fixed as well? It'd be a bit odd to see him cast Detect Evil, and never once see them go 'Wait a moment, none of these monsters register as evil, perhaps we should stop and talk' or some such.

Hey, someone should make a mod based on this. :D

Much kudos and thanks to Mad Mate once again for his work!

Much kudos and thanks to Mad Mate once again for his work!

The Paladin being Ajantis... of all things. Anyways, the Detect Evil is level 1 spell, the illusion casted... well it was never told, could have been a level 11... since Mystra usually doesn't control what dragons do with their wizie skilllzies.

Fix v.1.2 is up!

I added evil paladins to exclusion list in genai\genai.tpa (hobcap01 kobsha01 swshaman kobcap01 palkni01-05 (thanks InKal)), so they are skipped by SCS.

And in the process, I discovered that check for excluded files don't work in genai.tpa, so all cres named there wasn't skipped at all.

So I fixed that with working check from mage.tpa.

Enjoy!

Fix v.1.2 is up!

I added evil paladins to exclusion list in genai\genai.tpa (hobcap01 kobsha01 swshaman kobcap01 palkni01-05 (thanks InKal)), so they are skipped by SCS.

So does this, in effect, nerf the kobold shamans, captains, hobgob captains and such? If this is correct does it affect the Kobolds in the Nashkel mines?

EDIT: :-) I did played around, and this is what I found: if I change timing mode of effect from "Instant/While equipped (2)" to "Instant/Limited (0)", lag is gone. "Instant/Permanent until death (1)" & "Instant/Permanent (9)" still lags, so I'll stick to "Instant/Limited (0)", for now.

This makes zero sense. The item itself makes zero sense. I guess it's only purpose is to play that animation on slaves whose mind are affected by something. I don't know why any mod would change that...

Ha! :-p

Look here: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/45336-choppy-game-big-world/?do=findComment&comment=572853

It makes zero sense to me, also, but it works. I'd love to find out what makes this item break, but I don't know how. Maybe mindflyers have some kind of allergic reaction to that animation. :-)

So does this, in effect, nerf the kobold shamans, captains, hobgob captains and such? If this is correct does it affect the Kobolds in the Nashkel mines?

I wouldn't call it nerfing. Now, they have their original scripts and spells. SCS gave these creatures paladin scripts and spells. We agreed that spells don't fit, and kobold shamans with paladin scripts, also, don't fit to me.

And there is, to me, unknown reason, why they are not changed from paladin in BG2Fixpack and even in BG2EE.

I'll leave it to DavidW to do with them what he intend to do in SCSv29.

If anybody liked them with pally scripts and spells, just open genai\genai.tpa in notepad, and delete them from exclusion list. All info is in txt files.

EDIT: :-) I did played around, and this is what I found: if I change timing mode of effect from "Instant/While equipped (2)" to "Instant/Limited (0)", lag is gone. "Instant/Permanent until death (1)" & "Instant/Permanent (9)" still lags, so I'll stick to "Instant/Limited (0)", for now.

Afaik, timing (0) is in this instance pretty much same as if you deleted the opcode alltogether :D. I really, really don't get it.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=26063&hl=ascension

Just a suggestion for Mad Mate: the above thread makes it sounds like the reported bugs are a SCS issue; if it's confirmed that's indeed the case, might be nice to include the fixes (provided in the thread) into your Stratagems Fix package. :)

Again, it's just a suggestion; not sure exactly what the parameters of what you'd like to include/exclude from your work here are obviously... tracking down every single reported bug might or might not be feasible, but this one seemed like an easy one since the fixes are provided.

On a related topic, does anyone know how well the latest versions of SCS plays with the newest/revised BP stripped down core component? Apparently BP's author stripped it down so it's (his words) 'much less invasive' and '... simply Detectable Spells and a few BP-specific additions' which makes it sound like it should work fine, but if I understand correctly, SCS's versions of DS might overwrite BP's (which apparently is v 3.1, the most recent version available; not sure what version SCS28 uses) and such.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=26063&hl=ascension

Just a suggestion for Mad Mate: the above thread makes it sounds like the reported bugs are a SCS issue; if it's confirmed that's indeed the case, might be nice to include the fixes (provided in the thread) into your Stratagems Fix package. :)

They already are. If you look in the original v28 thread you will see these issues were fixed early in Mad Mate's crusade.

Archived