Illusory Werewolves Fix

In Kalah's tent, the werewolves are supposed to be illusory, but they consistently do 4 damage instead of none. There's a simple fix for this that I suspect could easily be incorporated into the BG2 Fixpack.

In ILLUSION.ITM, change the Melee ability's damage type from Slashing to None.

------------

Okay, that's the end of the solution, but I thought I'd post a little more about the problem, in case anybody else is curious, because I admit, it still stumps me as to why the werewolves are doing damage at all.

From testing, it seems that the item is getting a bonus of 4 over the 0d4+0 damage it's supposed to. My first thought was that that was just a case of all damage being bumped up to a minimum of 1 per die, but changing the damage to 1d8+0, the werewolves promptly started doing 5-12 damage when still illusory. So clearly, there's a bonus of 4 coming from somewhere. Their Strength is 19, which should be a bonus of 7 if I recall, and the item is set to not give a Strength bonus in any event. Nevertheless, I tried tweaking Strength down to 10 and it made no difference, so at least we know it's not that. I played with a few other things, but having found a solution, I wasn't exhaustive in my testing by any stretch. If anybody else has any insight, I'd love to hear it.

Re-enabling the dice roll display might do it, but as I recall that requires an EXE tweak which I didn't feel like Googling at the time. :laugh:

In Kalah's tent, the werewolves are supposed to be illusory, but they consistently do 4 damage instead of none. There's a simple fix for this that I suspect could easily be incorporated into the BG2 Fixpack.
Could it be that your character is equipped with Ranged weapon ? A bow, dart etc.

Re-enabling the dice roll display
Can be done from the games own Options screen, from the feedback menu.
Could it be that your character is equipped with Ranged weapon ? A bow, dart etc.

No, the characters aren't attacking (the AI is turned off, so I'd have to tell them to do so), and if they were, the werewolves would be doing a bunch more than exactly 4 damage on every single hit. This is a consistent problem that multiple players have experienced...I believe it's a problem in an unmodified BG2 install, but it's possible some fix/mod patch is coming along and "fixing" something that creates the problem. I only have a limited number of things installed on BG2 (BG2 Fixpack, BG2 Tweaks, and D0 Tweaks being the most likely culprits), so if it's one of those causing the issue indirectly, it should be easy to track down. Does anybody have a totally unmodded BG2 install handy to test if the WWs are a problem there too?

By making the above-mentioned fix, they stop doing damage at all until you attack them, and this is consistently reproducible so I know it's not a case of me accidentally attacking them.

Can be done from the games own Options screen, from the feedback menu.

That shows only basic "To Hit" rolls. I'm talking about the "Extra Combat Info" ini option which was disabled in ToB, but still exists in the EXE if you patch it to turn it back on (much like the A6CharmPatch reinstates talking to charmed NPCs). See this rather long thread for more details. (Here's a sample screenshot.)

No, the characters aren't attacking ...
Well, I am talking about the equipment the player character is wearing when he gets attacked, not about if they attacked... see as the game has a special rule that the ranged weapon users take +4 damage and loose 4 AC when attacked in melee.

The ToBEx.

No, the characters aren't attacking ...
Well, I am talking about the equipment the player character is wearing when he gets attacked, not about if they attacked... see as the game has a special rule that the ranged weapon users take +4 damage and loose 4 AC when attacked in melee.

Yup, you're absolutely right. The Extra Combat Info (which TobEx conveniently re-enables) shows it as "Attack of Opportunity:4", which is exactly what that is. Good to know, but still better if fixed. :laugh:

Confirmed. This code will prevent illusionary werewolves from damaging characters who are unarmed or wielding ranged weapons:

// Illusionary Werewolves should not damage characters who are unarmed or wielding ranged weapons

COPY_EXISTING ~illusion.itm~ ~override~				 // Illusionary Werewolf weapon
READ_LONG 0x64 abil_off
READ_SHORT 0x68 abil_num
READ_LONG 0x6a fx_off
 FOR (i = 0; i < "%abil_num%"; i += 1) BEGIN		   // parse each ability
READ_BYTE (%abil_off% + %i% * 0x38) abil_type	   // read ability type
PATCH_IF (%abil_type% = 1) BEGIN					// only patch the melee ability header
  WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x1c) 0			   // damage type (None)
  WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x16) 0			   // damage dice
END
 END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Archived