David Eddings is dead

berelinde

A sad day for fantasy readers. David Eddings has died.

The Belgariad kept me company through high school. The first book, Pawn of Prophecy, was released in 1982, and Garion, the main character, grew up at about the same time and pace as I did. Every week, I'd walk to the bookstore to see if the next volume was out, and if it was, I would read it straight through until it was done, only stopping to go to school or work.

I liked it as much as I liked Tolkien, but at the time, it was a lot more accessible to me. It was about someone my own age, for one thing, and the characters were not as remote.

:(

I read the Belgariad and Mallorean a few years ago and found them enjoyable, but I really liked the Belgarath novel.

I tried his most recent series and wasn't too keen on it; however, it's still sad to hear he won't be writing anything ever again.

Damn, we're losing so many of the greats this last year or so. :(

I, too, read the Belgariad in high school, as well as the Mallorean, and loved them both. I loved the Elenium and the Tamuli and though I wasn't so fussed on the first book of the Dreamers, it was still a damn sight better than a lot of other books I've read .

And I didn't know that Leigh was already gone as well. I salute them both.

Sorry about the news.

I read the Mallorean and even though I didn't like it much, I would believe that Eddings had its own style in writing fantasy books. And this is an undeniable quality.

A sad, sad day. David Eddings' were the first real fantasy books I ever read, and I've read them many times since. I'm actually re-reading them right now.

While his work never will be the best books I've ever seen, they've always been a great source of entertainment. The Belgariad and Mallorean series will always have a special place in my heart.

Thanks. The domain expired and I guess somebody with not-so-noble intentions re-registered it. Such a shame.

You're very welcome.

And indeed it is a shame. I had great hopes for DragonLance TC!

Archived