ToB Beta-Testing Report Thread

berelinde

Enjoy!

Just be aware that the ToB "Come to my bedroll" talks are all placeholders at present. This means that there's a (joke) line in place to hold the spot while I try to get in the right mindset to write for Gavin again. Apart from that, everything that should be there is there.

Reported by agashi at Petals and Thorns: Male Bhaalspawn should not be able to summon "my lover, Gavin" with the Fate Spirit

Noted by self: Double check the "Can we talk about something personal?" dialogue options for an inactive romance. Some don't need need RA checks, others really, really do. Also, the timing for that first conversation sucks.

Reinstalled my game (had to due to computer crash anyway), made it through SoA with Gavin and I'm now starting ToB. Without giving *too* much away, when does his dialog begin? Because he's anything but chatty so far, and there's absolutely no PID ("Gavin has nothing to say to you"). Might have to reinstall/start ToB over if I'm too far along, so I thought I'd check. MIGHT have accidentally installed the old no ToB Gavin instead of the shiny new ToB Gavin...but I'll wait to panic...

Yeah, I think you accidentally installed v20 instead of beta-2011(etc). Only the beta has ToB content. You will know within moments of reaching ToB because Gavin will intiate dialogue almost immediately... unfortunately. The timing for that first talk really could be better, but it resists every attempt to move it to the Pocket Plane, so we may have to live with it.

Yeeaaaaah...that were stupid. Fixed it, and he immediately piped up. Unfortunately, in reloading him I somehow messed up the final save (get an error message). BLAH! So I have 2 choices. Start SoA over again (possible) or spend a few minutes tweaking everything and start a ToB game fresh. Sort of wanted to play straight through but in the interest of science, I think I'll just tweak and start ToB fresh. I can always play again later...

Because I know I will!

Thanks for the mighty quick reply!

Unfortunately, I had to package the mod from my old computer, so the gorgeous new portrait did not make it into this version. But there will be another version, at the very least, so I can include it then.

For those who have not seen it, here it is, by the magnificent MiLeah

I love this portrait, and I am posting it in correct BG sizes here for the convenience of other fans. Keep up the awesome work, Berelinde. Let's hope that Gavin will be a part of BGEE. They ought to contact you and pay you to include him in the new game by default. I think he's the best NPC anyone's ever written.

Gavin5L.jpg

Gavin5S.jpg

Gavin5S.jpg[/img]

Aw... (blushes)...

I'm as eager as everyone else to find out if they're incorporating fan-made mods in BGEE. I'd like to see BG1 NPC included, myself. I'd like that a lot. And who knows? It could happen. A couple of years ago, BioWare put out a modding competition and the winning module got turned into the Darkspawn Chronicles. Some people made a fuss over it, but the ultimate decision was that modders are using their swingsets in their playground. Now that Atari has given Mr. Oster's company the rights to the game, they've got their pick of fan-made content. I wouldn't complain if they put anything of mine in there, as long as I found out about it. Because writing a conversion for something that was included anyway would be awkward. :D

Not really. I've been having real life issues (moving house, work, the whole boring thing) and haven't been able to mod for a while. The good news is that I unpacked the box that had my modding computer in it last week.

I'm not an official tester, but I chose "my old friend" at the Fate Spirit for a brand new ToB game, and Gavin said that we would have to talk soon "about where we stand," but that never occurs. :( I was hoping for a chance to either spark/renew a romance or decide to remain friends, but nothing like that occurs. Maybe that is intentional. If this is irrelevant, don't worry about it. That remark of his just seemed to indicate...more. Oh, and I also told him that I was troubled about his closeness to a certain somebody. That didn't spark anything, either. *bummer*

The friendship path for Gavin ToB has some bugs left in it. That's why it's still in beta. Thanks for the report though. If I ever get some time off, I do plan to get the bugs out, test to be sure they're out, and then version up.

I think the problem is that when you start a new TOB game and pick one of the two friendship paths for summoning Gavin, there are no globals set. Then his first LT starts up and when he gets to:

IF ~~ T1.10

SAY ~We need to talk... about us. I'm not going to walk out on you now. I owe you more loyalty than that. But we need to talk about where we stand.~

He comes to a halt, because none of the options afterwards are valid.

One of the simpler options would be to add

IF ~Global("B!GavRA","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN +T1.32

And write the option of starting a romance or staying friends.

Hope this is of some help :)

Oh, I think I actually did the fix locally. I just need to verify, test, and package, and that takes time that's in desperately short supply right now. I keep thinking I'll have a weekend free and then I get called in to work, a relative needs to move, or some other stupid thing. Maybe this will be my lucky weekend...

Thanks for looking it up, though!

Archived