GemRB and BGT or BG Tutu

Qvazar

I tried starting up GemRB with my BGT install, but there were some problems. Most notably, the starting location in Candlekeep after creating a new character, seemed to be at the BG2 location.

What is the current compatibility status of GemRB with BGT installed?

Does GemRB work better with BG Tutu?

Will it work perfectly in the future? ???

it will be better in the future, sure. ???

BGTutu should not make a much of a difference vs BGT, here. IIRC there's something wrong with our reading of startpos.2da (format assumption fail).

Guest Pafnoutios

I tried starting a tutu game with gemrb recently (v0.6.0 I think) and it ran fine until I tried moving to the next area. The BG2 map came up instead of BG1. The only "accessible" area was Wakeen's Promenade, -1 hours away, which I wasn't allowed to click anyway. The install had been modded with a fixpack, BG1 Unfinished Business, and the BG2 tweakpack, so I can't presume to know what caused the problem.

it will be better in the future, sure. ???

BGTutu should not make a much of a difference vs BGT, here. IIRC there's something wrong with our reading of startpos.2da (format assumption fail).

I guess the same.

Maybe a posting of startpos.2da/startare.2da would help then.

Guest Pafnoutios
You probably need to install the bp-bgt-worldmap mod.

I tried again with a recent svn checkout, and the worldmap works this time.

I installed a fresh Tutu with unmodded, fully patched, fully installed, TotSC and ToB. I also installed the Tutu degreenifier and tutufix.

When I start a new game and create my own character, I'm given 89,000 XP. When I import one of the generic characters (BG1Mage), I start with 0 XP. (I had this same behavior running Tutu directly in Windows.)

At resolutions higher than 1024x768 (I tested 1280x960) the GUI doesn't behave well. Most of it doesn't appear on the main game screen, but some will flicker while the cursor is held over it. I was able to navigate some dialog. The monitor on my Windows machine only goes to 1024x768, so I cannot compare this behavior to the original engine now. I remember running the original engine higher before, and most GUI elements get enlarged x2 in each dimension, occupying the same physical screen space at 1280x960 as at 640x480.

The GUI disappears when I open a container (barrel, desk, chest, corpse). The following error is printed to console:

~/GemRB$ ./gemrb -c ~/.gemrb/gittutu.cfg > VanillaTutuRun.log
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "./GUIScripts/bg2/GUIWORLD.py", line 273, in OpenContainerWindow
   UpdateContainerWindow ()
 File "./GUIScripts/bg2/GUIWORLD.py", line 135, in UpdateContainerWindow
   SetEncumbranceLabels( Window, 0x10000043, 0x10000044, pc)
NameError: global name 'SetEncumbranceLabels' is not defined
AL lib: ALc.c:1818: alcCloseDevice(): deleting 10 Buffer(s)

I am running a 19 June git checkout on Kubuntu 10.04.

I don't know where SetEncumbranceLabels should be defined, but a case-insensitive grep on GUIWORLD.py only pulled the line provoking the error.

Weird stuff that is the same in windows shouldn't be reported.

The starting XP is moddable in gemrb (on windows there are several starting xp patchers).

In GemRB, Instead of an xp patcher, you just have to modify a column in clskills.2da. (you can do it, it is obvious what to do).

I guess, it is trivial to modify the tutu installer to support gemrb, any 2. level weidu ninja can do it.

The extremely large resolutions are not yet supported. We need to implement some rescaling of the graphic resources, this is planned and listed in TODO.

The EncumbranceLabels problem is clearly a result of some recent code restructuring (the best recourse here is to pull the newest git source, try again, if it doesn't work, appear on IRC and bug lynx - he is our Python charmer).

Most likely it was pulled out to some common file but lacks import.

Archived