Scrolling problem in Baldur's Gate

Torgo

I installed the widescreen mod and this GUI mod for Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga (GOG.com version). They work just fine for the most part. One problem I'm having is that as I move my cursor along the top edge of the screen, it changes to a diagonal cursor about half way and starts scrolling northeast. The same thing happens with the bottom edge, except it starts scrolling southeast. About half way down the left and right edges, it scrolls southwest and southeast respectively.

I searched extensively and the only reference I could find that was similar to this issue was here. He was also using a GUI mod for Planescape, but I suspect this issue is related to the widescreen mod and not the GUI mod.

This definitely isn't a gamebreaker but it is pretty annoying. Any help?

I have experienced this same problem with GOG.com's TOS and I am starting to suspect that that GOG.com version is the only one that has this issue, as I have only seen it reported either on their forums or in connection to their version. I have dug up my old CD's and am installing the game as we speak, and I will test this theory as soon as the installation is done.

If it turns out that GOG's is the only vesion of the game suffering this issue, a solution might be as easy as replacing their .exe -- baldur, bgmain or bgmain2 (or all three) -- with the one(s) from the cd version before installing the mods, though I don't know if that could cause other issues.

Hm, it also happens with my CD version of the game. I installed the original 5 CD release, then installed the TotSC disc and patched it to v5512. It is exactly the same issue that was discussed here at SHS: http://www.shsforums...olling-problem/ and was solved by scient and ghostdog for his PS:T UI mod.

I have attached a screenshot for reference -- the only mods I installed were the Widescreen mod and the TWM UI mod (as can be seen in the screenshot), and in that order, but the issue occurs even without the TWM UI mod so it is definitely something native to the WSM.

I imagine that playing BG "vanilla" without conversion mods like Tutu or BGT might no longer be that common these days, but it is definitely still a preference for some (including myself). Seeing how a fix was already found and developed for the same issue in PS:T, I really hope someone with the necessary skill will do the same for BG1. I'm no expert, but from that thread it doesn't seem a very difficult or complicated fix...

post-6048-0-70902700-1399471208_thumb.jpg

The last reply in the linked thread has a very possessively likely solution... I downloaded the archive and it gives a nice weidu mod. Just so everyone that sees this thread here can for sure get the fix, I'll attach the .tp2 code:

BACKUP ~Cursor-fix/Backup~
AUTHOR ~Mod forum: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?s=5b6bf1ff9c5858b210bda8965da2cc46&showforum=571 ,  email: the_vampyri_lestat@hotmail.com, Acra~
VERSION ~v0.1~

BEGIN ~Cursor Scrolling Fix~

COPY ~BGMain2.exe~ ~BGMain2.exe~
SET ~failure~ = 0

READ_SHORT "0x88840" X
READ_SHORT "0x88C96" Y
//x1
WRITE_BYTE   "0x88AA1"   (X + 1) / 16
WRITE_BYTE   "0x88CA5"   (X + 1) / 16
//x2
WRITE_SHORT   "0x88B44"  (X + 1) - ((X + 1) / 16) -1
WRITE_SHORT   "0x88D63"  (X + 1) - ((X + 1) / 16) -1
//y1
WRITE_BYTE   "0x8864A"   (Y + 1) / 12
WRITE_BYTE   "0x88850"   (Y + 1) / 12
//y2
WRITE_SHORT   "0x886EE"  (Y + 1) - ((Y + 1) / 12) - 1
WRITE_SHORT   "0x8890E"  (Y + 1) - ((Y + 1) / 12) - 1

EDIT: The fix only works with the BGTalesDX8Intl.exe patch, good thing it's still available via various ways, and it only overwrites the existing BGMain2.exe, so you need it just before the Widescreen mod is installed. And yes, the Original Saga also needs that update.

Archived