Shadowrun: Hong Kong CRPG now on Kickstarter

daveyd

Any other Shadowrun fans here?

Developer of Shadowrun Returns and SR: Dragonfall, has recently launched a Kickstarter to fund additional content, features, and engine enhancements for their next standalone Shadowrun game. In this case they've already funded the base game with sales of their previous titles, but there's lots of funding goals to add in additional stuff they want.

I'm backing this because Shadowrun Returns was good, and Dragonfall - Director's Cut was incredible... I want the next Shadowrun CRPG to be even bigger and better.

I read some of the books, a long time ago. (I remember being deeply weirded out by the end of the Deal With a Dragon trilogy - but I was younger then.)

I'll take a look.

Thanks.

Well, from what I know about Shadowrun... things can get pretty weird sometimes. But in a really cool way. The story in Shadowrun Returns (Dead Man's Switch) was very good, but rather short and linear. Dragonfall-Director's Cut was a huge improvement in many ways and gives a decent number of role-playing, and choice & consequence. It's a masterpiece really. Highly recommend it if you haven't played it.

I backed this. For games that I'm confident enough that I'd buy on release, I figure it's worth spending a little extra money to get a better product. It is a gamble, but this studio seems to have a decent track record.

Yeah HBS has proven that they can deliver. And I appreciate that they are trying to not over-promise. For instance, a lot of backers have been asking for Astral Space, but they came out and said, it would be really expensive to do right and we just don't think it's in the scope of the project this time. That's much better than just setting it as a stretch goal to get some extra money and then scrambling to try to pull it off.

And that's a better way to do things, if you give more than you promise, then you're going to get points for being generous and lots of buzz after the game's done, which is when you really need it to help drive those long term sales. Promise the moon and deliver a pebble and you'll sell a lot on the Kickstarter hype, but noone will trust you again. I still haven't managed to find time to play the ShadowRun games, but I may well kick in for this one just due to the good feedback I've heard from people who have.

The only thing I am not so happy about is the digital and PC only distribution. But this is the modern days and there are several games delivered with a "traditional" box that have no reason to be like that at all (I am thinking of "The last of us - Remastered" - there is practically nothing but the Blu Ray disc inside the box).

The only thing I am not so happy about is the digital and PC only distribution. But this is the modern days and there are several games delivered with a "traditional" box that have no reason to be like that at all (I am thinking of "The last of us - Remastered" - there is practically nothing but the Blu Ray disc inside the box).

Other than PC (which includes Windows/Mac/Linux), what other platforms would you want the game to be released on? Since Microsoft holds the license for Shadowrun video games, they're obviously unlikely to let HBS port the games to Sony or Nintendo consoles / handhelds. The only console that seems a possibility is Xbox... But personally I'm glad that SR: Hong Kong is going to be a PC exclusive, so they can focus on optimizing the game for keyboard / mouse, without having to consider how the UI will work with a gamepad. And none of the hardware limitations of tablets this time, either. (I enjoy playing Shadowrun Returns on my tablet, but if it was holding them back, I'd rather it be PC only).

Other than PC (which includes Windows/Mac/Linux), what other platforms would you want the game to be released on?

I don't think that Salks point was that, but the fact that the disk box has nothing inside it other than the disk, and a printed leaflet of a few concept art pictures attached to the standard affair of in box instructions.

There's no other conceptual art pieces, manuals etc things. Just the thing you could download from the net anyways. And might still need to download things(day one patches, DLCs etc) after the install.

Archived