Block passage

Salk

Hello!

It always bothered me that in BG1 there is no real need of the password to access the Thieves' Guild. The "guards" that should protect the four entrances are not an obstacle and are just practically saying to go away without doing anything about it.

To change things I tweaked the dialogue and I moved them so that each stands before the entrance he should guard but even so, I can click on the exit and the guard is "pushed aside", making its presence there useless.

I know that if the guard's allegiance is "ENEMY" then walking past him is no longer possible but I cannot choose this solution. The guard should remain neutral.

Has anybody got some idea about how to make it impossible for the player to walk past the guard?

Thanks!

I don't think these doors can be closed at all.

You can enable or disable the travel region to the Guild HQ instead (via TriggerActivation()). Additionally you could add an invisible door to block the passage more effectively. DLTCEP offers some functionality in that regard (look for vertices and impeded blocks in the Doors tab).

I don't think these doors can be closed at all.

You can enable or disable the travel region to the Guild HQ instead (via TriggerActivation()). Additionally you could add an invisible door to block the passage more effectively. DLTCEP offers some functionality in that regard (look for vertices and impeded blocks in the Doors tab).

Thanks!

TriggerActivation() sounds promising but when I gave it a try it did not produce any result (meaning the exit is still there).

Do you see anything wrong with this simple code?

IF
    Global("SaidPassword","Global",0)
    Global("Entrance1","AR7248",0)
THEN
       RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("Entrance1","AR7248",1)
        TriggerActivation("Door7800",FALSE)
END

I even set the Flag "Trigger Deactivated" for Door7800 using NI but still same result.

In EE, there is a flag to turn on and off the bumping of npcs. This method has pro's and con's. Pro: realistic. Con: you can bypass it by killing the guards, or drawing them away, and the engine will never be sure or control which state the exit is in.

Wouldn't that be against the law?

Nope. Belt didn't say ever say he wants to keep them alive, then that's the law. For example, they sell stolen stuff... probably from the citizens of the city. In which category, the normal people are not actually part of. As they don't bring good functionality for the city. Even if they would pay taxes, that's not counted as part of it because they can be seen as slaves.

I am not saying the old system was good, it was horrible, horrible, but that's the reference you need to look this stuff at.

Lawful good doesn't mean going around and slaughtering evil persons. Not unless they did something worth being killed for.

So all those goblins you kill, have done something evil... have they or have they just live'd, see the "live" and "evil" is the same letters just arranged the other way around. Ah yeah, so that stuff is only for the heroes.

Racist, I say you are. -Joda.

And being Lawful, and Good. It means, in these games, that you must obey the law of the kingdoms, trying to prevent unlawful things in them, is a question of integrity, and how deep you wish to go at it, normal people usually can't get too deep. And you promote the "ideals" of the "good races", human, elf, dwarf, halfling, and gnome. That's that.

Let's get back to topic.

On the topic

This is the right way to do it, but

IF
Global("SaidPassword","Global",0)
Global("Entrance1","AR7248",0)
THEN
RESPONSE
SetGlobal("Entrance1","AR7248",1)
TriggerActivation("Door7800",FALSE) //You simply took the wrong door (this is the way out to town), just take the other one of the trigger areas, it is called Door0153 in vanilla game, may be different in BGT
END

And then you need to do it for the other areas leading to the thieves as well.

Archived