evil npc asking talos temple for help

Sergio

I've written some dialogues for a mod I had planned that involved asking Talos's temple for help - I can't code because I know nothing about scripting so I guess that I will just leave there what I've written - maybe it will entice you enough to add it.
I don't want my dialogues to be totally wasted, so better post them there then never be seen\read.

@FIRST PART@

How may I serve you? --> silly dialogue because I don’t remember what the priestess says when she sees you.

~ I’m here to ask for help on purging the undead threat that lies beneath the graveyard ~

The priestess will say:
à Why would we be willing to help you?
Please, enlighten me on what you offer, <charname>, and make your proposal be worthy, or I will call for my doomguards to throw you out of my temple instantly My time is precious.

Charname could answer:

1) ~ I’m a Bhaalspawn and you won’t talk to me like that ~
2) ~ I can offer you prayers ~ [only if wis >13
AND\OR if Anomen is available on the party AND if Charname is a fighter and has Nalia’s keep with the Tempus’s priest already called inside AND <charname> is male]
3) ~ Gold may entice my proposal ~
4) ~ I can work for you ~
5) ~ You are speaking to the next Lord of Murder, yet you ask me to make my proposals more appealing ~
6) ~ Tell me what you want ~

à If option 1) is chosen the priestess will tell:

~ Stop wasting my time, Bhaalspawn. I already sensed your taint, or do you think you can fool a Talos’s servant? Yet, even if the taint is strong within you, it has no power within this temple. Choose carefully your next words, because my patience grows thin. ~

> you get taken back to the dialogues, with no 1).

#############################################################################################

@Second part@

If option 2) is chosen ~ I can offer you prayers ~ [only if wis >13 AND if Anomen is available on the party AND if Charname is a fighter and has Nalia’s keep with the Tempus’s priest already called inside]

à if you got anomen on the party and he is legal good.

> What are you doing <charname>? Encouraging us through the path of heresy? You should have taken us to helm’s temple. He would be helping us just by asking, instead of begging for the spitiful help of this pathetic priestess.

Then the Priestess would answer:

<Pathetic? <Charname>, the people you’ve got on your company seems to have no contempt for your will. I wonder, what is stopping me from throwing you out of my temple? >

1. No, please, you have to help us!

Then the priestess would answer:

< What an amusing show from someone who seems to be one of the spawn of the very essence of the murder itself. Get out of my temple, before I call my guards >

2. My priestess, I would like to apologize. His judgement is blinded after he took a hit from the last dragon we slayed. [if charisma <16, you fail the check]

You come inside begging from my help, you make other speak on your behalf, you start to fool around trying to appeal me with your bad humour. GET – OUT – OF – MY - SIGHT.

3. My priestess, I would like to apologize. His judgement is blinded after he took a hit from the last dragon we slayed. [if charisma >16]

< I do not know who your friend is, but he has to apologize to me and you will apologize, as well >

3.a I apologize, <insert the name of the priestess that I forgot now>, and I apologize for the weakling Anomen. He sometimes forgets to think before speaking.

3.a.a If your charisma >=18 [As you say this, Anomen turns to your face, and you can feel the anger, although he seems to feign nothing happened]

3.a.b If your charisma <18 [As you say this, Anomen turns to your face, and you can feel the anger, rising, and it seems like he is rising his weapon against you, but he suddenly stops]
Anomen starts to speak: I’m sorry to have followed you through your quest as I valued you as a friend. I should have realized what it meant to follow a <bhaalspawn>. You are trying to impose your will over me, asking to defy the God I believe in. Consider me out of this group.
à Anomen then leaves the group. à Insert other reactions by the other party members.

Then the priestess will say, if Anomen leaves:

<<What a funny charade, you put up, <charname>. Let’s talk about business now>>

Then the priestess will say:

<<You offer me praying. Tell me more >>

My priestess, I owe a keep from which I extend my influence over many people I rule. Within this keep, there is a Tempus’s priest trying to spread the word of his God. I may be willing to sub him with one of your priest and spread Talos influence over all my land.

<<Your thinking is sharp, and I’m sad that you aren’t one of our priests. All these new people worshipping Talos will be a great sight for my God. Although I’m afraid to say it isn’t sufficient. It will just means that you will have to pay less money.>>

The sum you have to spend is halved and you are taken to the second series of answer on the 3)

à If you got anomen on the party and he is Chaotic neutral.

Anomen will say:

[whispering] <Charname>, your way of thinking intrigues me.

The priestess of Talos will say:

<I know that you have much to offer: but first, I demand that you satisfy my desire. Amongst your rank there is a person that didn’t follow Helm’s rules. Yes, I’m talking about you, Anomen.
I want you to join our ranks. Talos can reward a person like you >

Anomen: <You won’t talk to me like that priestess – I didn’t came here to see myself humiliated by the likes of you>

Priestess:< Humiliating you? On the contrary, I wouldn’t be asking you to join us, if I deemed you unworthy of this church. I know everything that happened. I know about your family. I know about Moira>

Anomen: <STOP. You won’t talk about her inside this temple>

Priestess: <You have to listen to me, Anomen. Talos has a moltitude of servants – and so, unwillingfully or not - I acknowledge many of the things that happens within this city. Your father came to us asking for our help on your sister’s matter, but we avoided getting involved.
All we could do to help him, as he was broken and had no spare money was calling a courier to whom he gave the message for you to come back home. We simply told your father the truth: we won’t be butchering the murderer of his daugher, because we knew you were following Helm’s path, and so that things had to be done your way. We gave you a chance to choose your path, and Talos wasn’t involved or forced your hand on choosing.
I know perfectly what you felt when your father talked to you about Moira. They call Helm the Watcher, but your father said that Brega wasn’t able to find any proofs. Tell me: where is Helm’s justice? He is called the Watcher, yet Saerk didn’t pay for what he did.
People may say that your father was angry and his judgment was blinded by the rage of having lost a daughter, but we both knew that what happened to your sister was no common robbery – and I find the lack of proofs a true sign of the corruption that lies within the guards – that were probably payed to hide the truth. And yet, when you searched justice for the matter, people come to judge you, without knowing what you felt and condemning you on how you dealed with Moira’s matter. Tell me: did you lose anything when the order of the radiant heart rejected you? All they got for you was mere pity – they didn’t hold any compassion for you, you were just a means to an end.

<The priestess suddenly stops>

I won’t bother you anymore, sorry Anomen, I may have seen something that wasn’t there.

<The priestess turns to you, starting to move his lips, but you hear Anomen call her, and you see her malevolent grin, that suddenly disappears as soon as she faces anomen>

Anomen: do not stop.

< the priestess starts talking again>

Talos servants do not feel pity for you, do not see contempt on your action. We value your judgement high, and we think that what you ‘ve done on the Saerk’s matter was right.
Now, we want you amongst our members. I trust that you won’t sacrifice such an opportunity to be part of something greater.

** Anomen will start facing you again**

<Charname, what do I have to do? I think that everything this priestess said was true.>

1. You should accept, Anomen. This is the opportunity that the radiant order negated you

2. Do not listen to her, Anomen. These are lies

If you take 1.

<Priestess, I accept your proposal>

If you take 2.

Anomen says: DAMN YOU <CHARNAME>. You say that what she said are lies, so you toyed with me all the time. I will kill you for everything you’ve made me do!
[anomen leaves the party and starts attacking Charname]
If you take 1)

“Well done, anomen. I ask you to stay with us for 3 hours, for the ceremony that will make you become part of Talos’s servants”

Anomen leaves the party for the three hours, then he rejoins. When he reaches level 25, he gets the Talos’s sign, instead of Helm (I guess it was probably an oversight that he gets a Helm’s sign even if he is CN)

the dialogue then will go back to
<<You offer me praying. Tell me more >>

###############################

@Third part@

If 5) ~ You are speaking to the next Lord of Murder, yet you ask me to make my proposals more appealing ~

The priestess will say:

~ What an amusing way to talk with a priestess of Talos ~

If Romatic Encounter is installed > she will asks you to make her pregnant – basically I guess that the actual Romantic encounter could be reused – obviously the old conditions wouldn’t be usable.

If Romantic Encounter isn’t installed – The priestess will answer:

~ Stop wasting my time, Bhaalspawn. Choose carefully your next words, because my patience grows thin. ~

////////////////////////////

If option 6) is chosen ~ Tell me what you want ~ [maybe a quest?]

< Nothing comes to my mind, right now. Please come back later, I’ll have to ask Talos>

She is Ada.

Offering a priest of Thalos to settle at the keep is a great idea. I can hear Nalia's complaints from here (but she should have known better than to ask an evil PC to take it on.

Making Anomen a priest of Thalos .. I don't know. He is not evil, and although be behaves like a rebelling juvenile, I don't think he wants to be. (Besides, this includes kit creation etcpp, which makes the component a lot more complex). Either way, I would like to see the possibility about the priest of Thalos in Nalia's Keep be available for CN Anomen, too, in case the player doesn't want him to change. As it is now, for this route it's either Anomen becoming evil priest or Anomen attacking the PC, which is a bit limited choice. Also, I would put a "forget it, I will just pay for your services" at all the special deals, in case the player doesn't like the details of one route.

Answer 4) (I can work for you) would probably lead to the same as 6). If you have no ideas for a quest, she could still say that the temple needs money. Compatibility should be considered with the RE component (if the PC made her mad in one mod, gaining her help should probably be a lot harder to get for the other.)

Ada, thanks for reminding me.

Yeah, I thought the keep was a great idea.

I admit I'm rather fascinated at the subject of Anomen becoming a priest of Talos.
I feel like that the fact that he gets Helm's ring after reaching level 25 is an oversight by the developers. I find it hard to believe that Helm would still gift anomen with such a powerful item. In fact, the idea came from the fact that NPC KITPACK will change the anomen's fighter kit to berserker if he fails the radiant order test; and it also removes the fact that he receives the ring by the god.

For the fact of anomen becoming a Talos temple; give me a little time to explain what I think about him.
First of all, the priests of talos have cn-le-ne-ce alignment, so I guess that a chaotic neutral alignment anomen could do it.
Second, are your doubts around the dialogue? I could think about something less cheesy ;)

Anyway, I want to analize what I think about Anomen.

Anomen is the classical hot-headed boy born with only a purpose in his life, become a cavalier. Although, you can judge his "behaviour" as unconsenquential:

a knight would be humble, while he is really proud, to the point of making a spicy <charname> doubt his words.

To achieve his dream, he left all behind. And I mean all - and as you can see, when you come back to Delrin's home, I feel like the fact that he asks <charname> on how to act was just a doubt going through his mind, perhaps the first time, that all he tried to achieve was just a futile dream, and the very essence of the justice eludes the mortal world.

Third. When you convince him to take his vengeance on Saerk, he doesn't kill Saerk, the only "supposed" guilty person, but he goes and kill his daughter, which I suppose had no real connection with the assassination itself.

The point is, that as he gets rejected by The radiant order, his dream just crumbles; He knows that he has failed, and this has so much effects on him that if I remember well, he will start to despise the things the loved the most, the paladin of the radiant orders - to the point of attacking keldorn. Would you believe that this is not a "chaotic" behaviour?

Not to add, that he will just start goading charname, to make him find an excuse to attack him.

And then, a Talos priest, asks him to join their ranks, because everything he believed in wasn't false, it was just twisted. Twisted by the false teaching of the radiant order, twisted by paladins, twisted because they USED HIM.
If anomen would get a chance to become a part of something greater, would you believe he would refuse it?

Edit: you are indeed right for the other remarks, especially the fact that ANomen attack <charname> shouldn't be a given.
and I like the "forget all deals, I will just pay" option :D

About the quest: What about stealing the lathander's ring once again ? ;D

For the option 6, I wanted to add something really roleplayish - ada would ask Talos, and Talos answer would be a geas to make <charname> work for Talos, in the case he becomes the lord of murder, although I can understand if this "option" would come as weird. I thought about it because in planescape torment there are options like this one, for example when you got Yemeth's pendant (Although I shouldn't spoiler planescape there..)

Edit 2: anomen turning to talos could be also removed, if you find it "annoying" or not coherent - after all, the main purpose of the mod was an alternative way to ask for help against Bodhi...

Honestly, I think a mod where Anomen turns to another god (be it Talos, or perhaps Tempus or Garagos- I've always thought the later the most interesting fit for him, as it's blind rage in which he damns himself) would be a decent mod. Anomen by rules can't still be a servant of Helm as CN, so there has to be something else out there granting him spells.

But I think it's a bit out of range for an Alternatives mod. You'd have to play with his soundset, look over all his banters, maybe even change his endings, probably add dialogs for his religious torment and you subtely pushing him to fall, so on so forth. It would probably be a decent mod on it's own, but "The Fall of Anomen" would probably require more of a story to it then "Hey, my friend here screwed up and Helm doesn't like him anymore, Weathermistress. Want a new priest?"

Honestly, I think a mod where Anomen turns to another god (be it Talos, or perhaps Tempus or Garagos- I've always thought the later the most interesting fit for him, as it's blind rage in which he damns himself) would be a decent mod. Anomen by rules can't still be a servant of Helm as CN, so there has to be something else out there granting him spells.

But I think it's a bit out of range for an Alternatives mod. You'd have to play with his soundset, look over all his banters, maybe even change his endings, probably add dialogs for his religious torment and you subtely pushing him to fall, so on so forth. It would probably be a decent mod on it's own, but "The Fall of Anomen" would probably require more of a story to it then "Hey, my friend here screwed up and Helm doesn't like him anymore, Weathermistress. Want a new priest?"

Thank you for your insights.

I have to dismiss my thought about tweaking anomen in this mod. It is out of purpose :)

Edit: I can't seem to find the spoiler's icon, so I advise you.

HUGE SPOILER INCOMING - DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU DIDN'T DO THE CLERIC'S STRONGHOLD QUESTS

I was checking the lathander's cleric's stronghold and the last quest involves killing Ada, the talos priestess.

So I was curious and checked Talos's cleric's last quest - and the quest, surprisingly revolves around killing acolyte Kreel, the lathander priest.

Basically one could re-use the last quest from the Talos cleric's stronghold as a way to halve the price ;)

She is Ada.

Offering a priest of Thalos to settle at the keep is a great idea. I can hear Nalia's complaints from here (but she should have known better than to ask an evil PC to take it on.

Making Anomen a priest of Thalos .. I don't know. He is not evil, and although be behaves like a rebelling juvenile, I don't think he wants to be. (Besides, this includes kit creation etcpp, which makes the component a lot more complex). Either way, I would like to see the possibility about the priest of Thalos in Nalia's Keep be available for CN Anomen, too, in case the player doesn't want him to change. As it is now, for this route it's either Anomen becoming evil priest or Anomen attacking the PC, which is a bit limited choice. Also, I would put a "forget it, I will just pay for your services" at all the special deals, in case the player doesn't like the details of one route.

Answer 4) (I can work for you) would probably lead to the same as 6). If you have no ideas for a quest, she could still say that the temple needs money. Compatibility should be considered with the RE component (if the PC made her mad in one mod, gaining her help should probably be a lot harder to get for the other.)

The priest in De'Arnise Keep is a priest of Tempus, not Talos, if you were referring to the priest who asks to take up lodging in the chapel.

ericp07: The idea was to offer the Thalos Temple to replace the priest of Tempus with one of Thalos, in exchange for the Thalos temple helping against the vampires.

Sergio: Me not spontaneously relating to Anomen being a priest of Thalos doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. Now that I think about it, I think it would give Anomen a great possibility to develop, to find a new, valid place in life again - not being the one who failed, but the one who will take his part in designing the world to come. It would definitely be a place he could take his anger to (and it would make him a decent priest for an evil party, if his sanctification would increase his WIS points, too). I would prefer seeing Anomen growing into it, though, not only doing it because the PC asked the temple. Twani's point about this being enough content for an own mod is valid, though. But no-one forbids you to make a mod with Anomen's Fall that includes the possibility to ask the temple of Thalos for help in the fight against the vampires. Maybe with Anomen being a priest of Thalos, he or the Wheathermistress could offer it themselves.

Using the cleric stronghold quest would take it away for the players with a cleric (as a stronghold quest, I mean), not sure if this would make so much sense. It comes down to the same result, I guess.

When I thought about adding the quest, I thought it as a quid pluris, to be sincere.

What I mean is that I don't want the players to be forced to do the quest, instead the quest would be just a way to halve the prices for the service you are requesting to the temple - but the quest would be available to all the class but clerics xD - I guess this way of thinking it could be deemed as "weird",
but if you are already a talos's cleric you are already asking for help to them (maybe the mod should add the option to ask for more, even if you are a Talos cleric?

Just to add, Serigo, if you're ever interested in making a mod about Anomen falling, I'd be happy to help you with it. My scripting isn't as good as most people on the forums, but I know a bit and generally can cheat the rest, and I can write. The more I think about the idea, the more it interests me: if you're not interested in it and wouldn't mind, I might take it on myself.

I just think it's a bit much for the Alternatives mod as it is, mostly due to how many lines you'd have to mess around with as Anomen interjects and banters about Helm.

Archived