nahal/spell immunity bug exploit

sep

First of all great mod! thx for the good work ;)

While playing a wild mage today I found a new bug, don't know if it's well known or not but I didn't found anything about it on the forum so here we go:

When you cast Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, if you click the innate abilities button (or "use item" button, or even the normal spell book...) before you get to choose a spell from the list you end stuck between the two menus (abilities and spells available through nahal) until you reselect your character. That way you can cast unlimited spells without delay and you don't even get the large chance of wild surges (god mod xD).

Same exploit with spell immunity where you can cast the 8 immunities for the cost of one spell.

I checked and it's not related to spell revisions, this bug exist in vanilla game even with the fixpack, it's just easier to find with SR because of the delay on nahal.

I read that you were thinking using the same mechanics as spell immunities for others spell like fire/cold/etc resistances so maybe it's worth checking if you can fix that ;) that would be great! I saw you already fixed the bug where you could get unlimited nahal spells by assigning a shortkey... wtg! and while we are here, what about the stackables chaos shields via sequencers/contingencies?^^ ahhh damn wild mages... so buggy...

Sorry for the poor english, hope it was clear enough!

It's an engine bug, and if the target is not 7 on spells that bring up a spell-choice menu it causes this (in all known versions of the BG2 engine) when a different action is given to the character at the time the spell is cast. To fix this, the extended header's byte at 0xC must have a value of 7 and the spells should not have a casting time (but the ones that you can select from Spell Immunity *must* have a casting time and their extended header's byte 0xC's value should *not* be 7).

Archived