Stupid Yuletide fic exchange...

Thimblerig

My brain is trickling out of my ears and there's a dead-line and I want to write something nice for my recipient!!!

And minor characters keep hijacking the plot for they Have No Respect For Their God.

Gah!

(Onto a thousand-and-one words for Ghost Soup: Infidel Blue, yo!)

Hmm, the thing is in fiction, specially the fan created ones, it's easier to write things for the main cast to say for than the Player Character, cause the main cast has a set personality while you have to define the Lawful Evil Paladin of Pipsquick to be rememberable, and well_defined. It's like the Harem Trope kind... where the Main Cast is the main character and you just throw another random char out there that wasn't actually so important anyways. So the story starts from here, it's totally inspired by you, you have to continue it from the outset. or not ! Take your pick fast.

So this random Lawful Evil Paladin of Pipsquick, Marchmen Ranagast, walked into a bar, tired of killing the random spawns of deseased Gibberlings and two bandits, whose scalps were worth their weight in gold, except that the gold wasn't much worth a thing with 100 000 of the pieces laying around the bag of moneys. Again humiliated by the five random NPCs he had chosen to accompany him, he had desided to walk away from them and hire another band of five. For the forth time, as if Imoen wasn't accounted as she had ran into a berserking Ogres maze by "an accident", to allow the convinient escape from a too hard fight that he had been by then.
Now, who would he choose to take with him, or would he go alone to the next town with his fear of petrifying basilisks and his love of the shiny new things to sell for the good old bag of gold ? It's up to you to deside, ouh, and the Pipsquick, erhm is the god of mojo, which clearly makes this story even more unclear as Marchmen Ranagast has not gotten his yet, will he ever, nope, it's not for me to deside, yet..
:D:p

You have a point. (And thanks for linking to that vid: I'll look up more in that series.)

[insert Personality Here] game protagonists can still be very effective for creating engagement in the audience, though. Looking through the CRPG sections of fanfiction.net and AO3, there are an abundance of doorstopper fics, 100k and counting, for game playthroughs of BG and NWN2 and Dragon Age. Writers answering the question: what would my protagonist do, given more freedom in the dialogue trees? How did my protagonist react to that inevitable betrayal? What would my protagonist find for a happy ending...? Many of them are pretty popular, too.

That said, I do tend to love the minor characters. The ones that can be defined by their quirks and their flaws, or stay in a stable relationship all the way through because the writer doesn't need to dick with it to create drama. The ones that are allowed to die before the end of the story. (It means I actually worry when they get in trouble, for one thing.)

Which is why I'm writing about the medibot from the evil fish episode in Season Two. You know, the one with all the kittens...

Good luck!

I used to do the Yuletide exchange every year back... um... in the day? (hah) but then I went through one of those insecure 'woe my work sucks' phases and stopped because I kept feeling like I was writing crap in compared to what I got, though.

It's a lot of fun, though, but... frustrating. Even with doing nanowrimo every year, I'm still not good with time limits.

Again, good luck... hope you get it done well. :)

Story done, story posted.

Now I just have to sit back chewing my fingers and second-guessing myself that it's awful and what was I thinking. I get the impression that most Yuletide writers feel that way. Solidarity!

EDIT:

(More than 200 stories already posted... Oh, the anticipation, it burns.)

It's a bit over a day before the posting deadline and there are 1100 1128 1139 1146 1154 1173 1243 works in the hopper. (Kinda fun to refresh the Yuletide Collection page to see the number crawl up by fives and tens and twenties.) I've been poking through all the requests from participants because the anticipation is making me itchy.

- Turns out I wasn't the only one requesting Baldur's Gate that wanted a Khalid Lives! story (I think there were three?) We'll see what happens there.

- Somebody asked for a story from War and Peace with GIANT MECHA. THE GIANT MECHA TOLSTOY NEVER KNEW HE WANTED. If I had ever read that book I would totally write it, for the request moves my black and shrivelled heart.

- British baking shows have been crossed over with about six other genres.

It's all very exciting...

EDIT:

1904! (There are currently five BG fics there, most of which have Jaheira in them, so if you like grumpy half-elf druids you're golden.)

It's open... several BG fics that I adored (esp. the one that got written for me, with Tamoko all angsty-like). Also, several AUs, and a lovely pre-game Jaheira-and-Khalid.

Am spending the afternoon reading through the archive, snacking on boysenberries and cream, and sipping from my new flower teacup. (So many berries and cream...)

EDIT:

It's been a very good year for Khalid fans...

Archived