Photo

How do people make new icons?

6 replies to this topic

#1 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modders
  • 2476 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

What it says.  It feels sort of ridiculous that the main thing holding me back from making new spells is that I can't give them an icon.

At the moment, I'm working on abilities that can spontaneously cast spells of each level - something like a tiered version of NRD.  So at some point a while ago someone did me a favor and made a few icons based on an existing one - take the "magicky" moon-and-stars icon from Miscast Magic, recolor it a bit, and add some Roman numerals, like so:

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.15.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.09.03 PM.png

Problem being, I only have 6 of them and now I need 9.  Well, it doesn't seem very complicated, sure I could hack something together in some MS Paint-ish program. 

But, I haven't the first idea how.  I can't even figure out if I can export the .BAM file to some other format that I an edit.

So, what do other modders do for this sort of thing?  What tools do they use?  Is it hard?  Etc.

Thx

Faiths & Powers: Spell spheres and kit pack for priests and paladins
Might & Guile: Tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues
Scales of Balance: Game tweaks and rule overhauls
NPC_EE: More options for NPCs in BGEE, SoD, & BG2EE

#2 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Gibberling Poobah
  • 2428 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

It's not that hard from a technical perspective.  Usually artistic ability is the limiting factor. The only slightly tricky thing is that BAM files use a palette, like GIFs.

The basic process is: export frames from BAM to a more standard format (e.g. BMP, PNG, GIF), edit them in your favourite editor, then reassemble them back into a BAM.

You can use a tool like BAM Workshop or BAM Workshop II to do this.  I believe the original BAM Workshop is generally more reliable.

Here are some detailed notes from a more knowledgeable authority:

Spoiler

#3 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 7330 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:05 AM

Near Infinity also has very cool BAM editing options nowadays. You can't paint the graphics in NI, but you can export existing BAMs to bmp and you can import bmps to make a new BAM out of them, resize BAMs and the likes. The editing of the picture can be done with GIMP, if you are searching for a free graphics editing tool.

#4 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Gibberling Poobah
  • 9474 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, what Mike1072 said. I'll export and then use Photoshop--the only hard part is the limitation of the palette, but as long as you're not trying to make a finally graded, rainbow-colored BAM you'll generally be fine. Drop 'em through BAM Workshop to do the frames, cycles, and palette and you're good to go.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

#5 Sam.

Sam.
  • Modders
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:40 AM

BAM Batcher comes with a few resources and templates that might or might not be helpful.  There is an overview in the Tools section of the readme.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

-- to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

Posted Image
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#6 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modders
  • 2476 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:22 AM

Near Infinity ...
you can export existing BAMs to bmp and you can import bmps

This part I haven't been able to figure out. When I try to export it only gives me options for "original" and "uncompressed" or something like that. When I use the BAM editor (which is great - I've become adept at recoloring vanilla BAMs), it only seems to want to export as .BAM.

Thanks for the link for BAM Workshop, I'll take a look.

Faiths & Powers: Spell spheres and kit pack for priests and paladins
Might & Guile: Tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues
Scales of Balance: Game tweaks and rule overhauls
NPC_EE: More options for NPCs in BGEE, SoD, & BG2EE

#7 argent77

argent77
  • Modders
  • 803 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:36 AM

You have two options to export BAM frames to images with NI.

1. Regular BAM Viewer: Export -> All frames as graphics
2. In BAM Converter: Add "Image Output" filter in Post-processing tab and click button "Save output file..."

Both options allow you to export as PNG (with transparency) or BMP.

Edited by argent77, 21 December 2017 - 07:38 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users