BG2 starting location

berelinde

Starting location  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He could be *inside* the Temple of Ilmater, asking for a divination spell to speed his search. That would put him out of the way, but still conveniently located, no matter when the PC decided to recruit him.

I very much agree with crossing out the Temple District option, it just raises too many complication regarding the plot and certain events. I must say I'm ratehr fond of the whole "inside Illmater temple" option. It makes sense, it's consistent with the rest of the story, and that way, Gavin doesn't pounce on the PC as he/she leaves Château Irenicus (Kulyok already spoke of this a bit, but I always thought that was one of the rare flaws of Domi's Kivan, I just don't like him coming up and initiating a dialog).

But that's just me. :)

I think that inside the Temple of Ilmater works. Since Gavin won't be in the Temple District for plot reasons, it would make more sense to find him either in the Promenade or in the Slums somewhere. I can't really see him having much reason to be in the Docks or Government districts.

Yeah, I think we have a winner, with inside the Temple of Ilmater. He's got several good reasons to be there.

1. He might want to ask for a divination spell.
  2. He might happen to be looking for someone who might conceivably have sought succor at a Temple of Ilmater. :)
  3. He's not the kind to go shopping when he's got something on his mind.
  4. As a cleric himself, he'd be far more inclined to seek shelter at a temple than shell out money for inns.
  5. Inside the Temple of Ilmater has him out of the way and not rushing the PC, but easily accessible.

Thanks, everybody, for all the suggestions, and provoking me to actually think this through.

I may have to. That, or he's back to outside the temple again. I don't want to put him on the roof of the Copper Coronet, and now that I've thought this through, I really like the idea of placing him inside/outside a temple of Ilmater. It makes the most sense.

Heh. Maybe they are catching up on old times. They got along pretty well in BG1.

Seriously, though, I think most folks are more inclined to start a new game to get a new NPC. I think it's more likely that they'll keep recruiting Kivan by the circus tent and all will be well. But I won't put Gavin on those coordinates. :)

I may have to. That, or he's back to outside the temple again. I don't want to put him on the roof of the Copper Coronet, and now that I've thought this through, I really like the idea of placing him inside/outside a temple of Ilmater. It makes the most sense.

Well, for one thing, I'd advise against placing him in the Slums Illmater Temple, it's way off the beaten path, so to speak. I never go there unless I absolutely have (but I will, if I have to go fetch Gavin!), but it's my humble opinion to you'd want to have his starting location in a spot that makes sense (plot-wise), but that's not too hidden away, otherwise, people might not notice him (even though you'd expect people to go looking for Gavin if they install the mod, obviously :) ).

So even though Kivan's starting location is in the Temlpe of Illmater in Waukeen's Promenade, I'd still cast my vote (again :) ) for that location for Gavin as well. It's what makes the most sense and is most practical, I think.

But again, that's just me. :)

If the Temple of Ilmater was Kivan's primary joining location, I wouldn't put Gavin there. Since it it's a backup location, maybe it won't be so bad. I'll just make sure the two of them aren't standing there like a chorus line, OK? :)

Archived