Will there be voicing?

redtempest

I know it would probably create problems, since it would mean adding lines to an established Bioware character, and revoicing all of Haer'Dalis old lines/only voicing the new ones might both seem a bit off.

But I really do think that it's the voicing that gives mods that authentic feel... Personally, I wouldn't mind just having new lines voiced, obviously by someone with a nice, lyrical, lilting voice, if at all possible. ;)

I'd love to have it voiced (not necessarily all the lines, but at least the first line of every conversation, as the original characters), but so far, nobody has dropped by to say "I sound just like Haer'Dalis and can record sound with proffessional quality and I don't mind having to wait for an indefinite period of time before I get the lines that should be recorded." My demands might be a bit on the higher side, though...

More seriously; it would be great, but I'm afraid it's not at the top of the priority list at the moment. When we get closer to finishing the mod, I suppose we could look into it.

Even though Ms. Tempest is more your core audience, I'd like to strenuously discourage trying to "fill in the gaps." Better to revoice everything and let players get used to a different rendition of the character than have the mod content scream "HELLO I AM MOD CONTENT NOW" when it's time for a LT.

This part is kind of off-topic - but I just wanted to ask - what IS that thing on your avatar, JPS? (Gibberling? Or kangaroo?  ;) )

To me it looks like some kind of... rat... badger. Yes, that's it, a rat-badger. Or something.

To me personally, voicing is nice, but not a big deal. I don't mind not having it there but if it is there I think it's better if it's consistent. ;)

Even though Ms. Tempest is more your core audience, I'd like to strenuously discourage trying to "fill in the gaps." Better to revoice everything and let players get used to a different rendition of the character than have the mod content scream "HELLO I AM MOD CONTENT NOW" when it's time for a LT.

I'm sure you're right, having done voicing and all, but it would feel a bit odd to me to remove the perfectly good voice clips that are already there and replace them with new ones that try to sound exactly the same. Especially since even the best mod voicing I've heard stands out as mod content to me because of the lower recording quality, regardless of the quality of the actual acting.

Oh, well, there's plenty of time to think about it, I suppose.

This part is kind of off-topic - but I just wanted to ask - what IS that thing on your avatar, JPS? (Gibberling? Or kangaroo?  ;) )

It's a rock hyrax. It's about the size of a rabbit but is one of the closest living relatives to the elephant. And it looks like it would look good in sunglasses and a dark suit.

To me personally, voicing is nice, but not a big deal. I don't mind not having it there but if it is there I think it's better if it's consistent.

I suppose that's my line as well. It would be very nice, but it's not one of the things that really make or break a mod, in my opinion.

I have to say that as a Michael Bell (voice of Haer) fan, I would be rather disappointed if you removed all of his voice clips and replaced them. I think that any mod voicing will sound like mod voicing, but I don't see why that is particularly a bad thing. Fill in the gaps, or don't, I think the mod will be lovely either way.

I'm just warning you, if you remove the "aye, my raven?" line, you will be crushing my fragile hopes and dreams. ;)

And rock hyraxes are the closest living relative of the elephant? That's the coolest thing I've heard all month!

How nice to know my idea was well recieved. ;)

Oh, and on a semi(totally?)-unrelated note, I looked up Michael Bell and found a lot of interesting work by the VA's in the game.. I should have known that Aerie was Phil and Lil from the Rugrats. But my favourite is Anomen as Pinky from Pinky & The Brain. "Narf!"

A rock hyrax is apparently cuter than a rat or a badger. I also thought it could be an agouti, but that didn't seem quite right either. ;)

PINKY!? OUR Anomen? Now that's unexpected. Haha. Time to watch some Pinky and the Brain reruns, methinks...

I found out the voice of Bodhi (BJ Ward) used to be a playmate before she started voicework. Well, now that kinda explains some things too, hmm... ? ;)

I have to say that as a Michael Bell (voice of Haer) fan, I would be rather disappointed if you removed all of his voice clips and replaced them. I think that any mod voicing will sound like mod voicing, but I don't see why that is particularly a bad thing. Fill in the gaps, or don't, I think the mod will be lovely either way.

I'm just warning you, if you remove the "aye, my raven?" line, you will be crushing my fragile hopes and dreams.  ;) 

And rock hyraxes are the closest living relative of the elephant? That's the coolest thing I've heard all month!

If the original voice clips were to be replaced, I suppose it would be a good idea to offer an unvoiced version as well, both for those who like his original voicing and for those who want a smaller download.

Before I decide anything, though, I'd like to check out a mod that replaces the original voicing of a character, and as far as I know, no mod like that has beed relesaed yet.

Yup. And "The Brain" is Yoshimo!

P.S. I now have a strange desire to hear Anomen and Yoshimo have one of those, "Are you thinking what i'm thinking?" conversations. 

I think most people know the Jim Cummings (Minsc) did Animanics stuff as well as a bit part in Shrek (Lord Farquad's henchman)...but I thought I'd mention it all the same.

I don't really like the idea of revoicing/adding voice to HD, but if there was mod content voicing I guess it would be optional anyway.

Guest Garriath

Hey there! First of all, I'd like to say that I'm very interested in this project. I was very dissappointed that Haer'Dalis didn't have an attached romance in-game. It's so encouraging to see someone actually take a stand for this!

Anyway, on the above topic, I'm a semi-experienced (I've done some stuff for fan-made modules for other games) voice-actor who would love to give Haer'Dalis a shot! If you're at all interested, JPS, I'd love to help, even if it weren't accepted. Try me at SolaufeinAriana@yahoo.com .

Archived