Installation on linux questions and so on

illhill

Hello everyone,

I've done multiple forum searches and have tried to follow multiple guides and haven't had luck with subsequent Google searches. I hope I won't be adding any redundancies to the forum though I feel fairly confident that I won't be (at least I hope).

To explain everything from the start and to provide background: I'm running Debian Buster (testing) and I have a decent-enough of a build to run BG:EE, BG2:EE, etc. I'm relatively compotent with a terminal so this process didn't seem too intimidating (and still doesn't—I feel like I'm missing some sort of obvious detail). The other relevant information follows: I initially began my process of installing mods from the Beamdog forums following the directions from this topic. I first installed the BGEE+SOD Modmerge tool which seemed to go-on without a hitch. I then began the process of installing the BG1NPC mod. I followed the directions from this page. I first installed the WeiDU files and copied them into my /usr/bin/ folder. After this, I began to run into issues. I've attached two screenshots to this topic and in subsequent paragraphs I will explain what I did leading up to the errors.

Leading up to the errors, I extracted the contents of the folder into my BG:EE directory (/home/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/). I then attempted to run the tolower command which came back with a relatively simple error stating the since I'm using the EE of the game, it would break the game if the command were to run so it quit. This made sense to me. My thought process was that the weinstall command would be the next step to take. Here is the error:

post-10747-0-00106100-1543080543_thumb.png

The installer was unable to find dialog.tlk. In a few searches through the Beamdog forums, I found that some people would move dialog.tlk to the /home/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/ directory and then move it back once the installer ran. I attempted this but the following error was returned:

post-10747-0-83740000-1543080551_thumb.png

At this point, I found myself at a bit of a loss. In addition to this, the directions from the readme seem to indicate that one should use wine when booting the game? Is that requirement? Here's a screenshot of what I am referencing:

post-10747-0-30579100-1543081417_thumb.png

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Does anyone have any ideas about where to go from here or anything that I am missing? I've reverified the game in Steam so I'm ready to go at it again.

Thanks all!

At this point, I found myself at a bit of a loss. In addition to this, the directions from the readme seem to indicate that one should use wine when booting the game? Is that requirement? Here's a screenshot of what I am referencing:

attachicon.gifbg1npc-readme.png

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

While there are unix versions of weidu, there isn't a unix version of the vanilla engine. So the most logical cause is that when the readme template was modified to include linux instructions, they had the vanilla engine in mind. You would use tolower, weinstall to install the mods and then run bgmain from within wine. Since the EE has native binaries, of course you can run them and not use wine.

Regarding your errors:

attachicon.gifbg1npc-error1.png

The installer was unable to find dialog.tlk. In a few searches through the Beamdog forums, I found that some people would move dialog.tlk to the /home/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/ directory and then move it back once the installer ran. I attempted this but the following error was returned:

attachicon.gifbg1npc-error2.png

Your first screen shows that weidu can't find dialog.tlk. When you copied it (or you could symlink it so that you don't keep copying it), it says that it "can't match a directory for dialog.tlk". The error message is a bit confusing so i ran strace to see what weinstall does. In my case it tried to access the directory lang/en_us and it failed. So weidu recognised that the game is EE and tried to access the dialog.tlk from the proper location but couldn't because the directory is named en_US.

You can try the following (from the base directory):

ln -snf en_US lang/en_us
This will create a symlink named en_us in the directory lang that will point to en_US. This way you don't need to copy the dialog.tlk to the base directory. weidu will automatically recognise it (at least it did in my case) and you will no longer get the errors you got.

However, i don't know if it will eliminate all problems. Some mods may still not be able to get installed and that is why many people advise to use ciopfs. ciopfs is a program that allows you to mount a simple directory under a different path and allows you to have case-insensitive access.

Edited by khelban12

Thank you both for your responses! I appreciate it.

Since it's a g3 mod, it should definitely work on linux. EEs complicated the string handling, but there should be no need for wine.

I didn't think so but I wasn't quite sure. I sometimes miss a big detail here or there so I figured I should ask—just in case.

However, i don't know if it will eliminate all problems. Some mods may still not be able to get installed and that is why many people advise to use ciopfs. ciopfs is a program that allows you to mount a simple directory under a different path and allows you to have case-insensitive access.

khelban, your steps did take me forward but you were right about some of the problems. After I post here, I will begin to check out what ciopfs is. Any decent starting points? Additionally, I'm going to post the terminal output, just in case you or another person has an idea:

andrew@sindel:~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition$ weinstall bg1npc.tp2 
weidu --log "setup-bg1npc.debug" "bg1npc.tp2"
[weidu] WeiDU version 24600

Choose your language:
 0 [English]
 1 [Espanol (traducido por Clan DLAN)]
 2 [Francais (traduit par les d'Oghmatiques)]
 3 [Polski (Tlumaczenie przez Children of Bhaal)]
 4 [Deutsch (Teiluebersetzung vom Kerzenburgforum, teilweise noch in englisch)]
Using Language [English]

Using ./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk

Couldn't open the readme: file not found.
ERROR: No translation provided for @1006
Continuing despite error.

Would you like to display the components from [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1006]?
[Y]es, [N]o? n
ERROR: No translation provided for @1008

Would you like to display the components from [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1008]?
[Y]es, [N]o? n
ERROR: No translation provided for @1010

Would you like to display the components from [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1010]?
[Y]es, [N]o? n
ERROR: No translation provided for @1065

Would you like to display the components from [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1065]?
[Y]es, [N]o? n
ERROR: No translation provided for @1005

Install Component [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1005]?
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? I

Installing [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1005] [v23.3]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1005], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall   0 files for [bg1npc.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled      0 files for [bg1npc.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Sys_error("bg1npc/lib/bg1npc_always.tpa: No such file or directory")
Please make a backup of the file: setup-bg1npc.debug and look for support at: The BG1 NPC Project Team: forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=45
Using Language [English]

Installing [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1005] [v23.3]

ERROR Installing [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1005], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall   0 files for [bg1npc.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled      0 files for [bg1npc.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Sys_error("bg1npc/lib/bg1npc_always.tpa: No such file or directory")
Please make a backup of the file: setup-bg1npc.debug and look for support at: The BG1 NPC Project Team: forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=45
Using Language [English]

[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? q
ERROR: No translation provided for @1007
ERROR: No translation provided for @1022
ERROR: No translation provided for @1023
ERROR: No translation provided for @1024
ERROR: No translation provided for @1025
ERROR: No translation provided for @1026
ERROR: No translation provided for @1027
ERROR: No translation provided for @1009
ERROR: No translation provided for @1016
ERROR: No translation provided for @1014
ERROR: No translation provided for @1011
ERROR: No translation provided for @1012
ERROR: No translation provided for @1013
ERROR: No translation provided for @1015
ERROR: No translation provided for @1017
ERROR: No translation provided for @1064
ERROR: No translation provided for @1067
ERROR: No translation provided for @1068
ERROR: No translation provided for @1070
ERROR: No translation provided for @1068
ERROR: No translation provided for @1072
ERROR: No translation provided for @1073
ERROR: No translation provided for @1075
ERROR: No translation provided for @1073
ERROR: No translation provided for @1077
ERROR: No translation provided for @1078
ERROR: No translation provided for @1081
ERROR: No translation provided for @1078
ERROR: No translation provided for @1083
ERROR: No translation provided for @1084
ERROR: No translation provided for @1086
ERROR: No translation provided for @1084
ERROR: No translation provided for @1088
ERROR: No translation provided for @1123
ERROR: No translation provided for @1092
ERROR: No translation provided for @1094
ERROR: No translation provided for @1020
ERROR: No translation provided for @1019
ERROR: No translation provided for @1021
ERROR: No translation provided for @1019
ERROR: No translation provided for @1114
ERROR: No translation provided for @1115
ERROR: No translation provided for @1116
ERROR: No translation provided for @1115
ERROR: No translation provided for @1090
ERROR: No translation provided for @1091

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS UNDEFINED STRING:   @1005

Press ENTER to exit.

Apologies too—it's pretty verbose but it seems strange. Everything appears to be where it should be.

Weird. in my case it seems to work ok (though i can't install it because i only have BG2EE and not the first game)

% weinstall bg1npc 
weidu --log "setup-bg1npc.debug" "bg1npc/bg1npc.tp2"

Choose your language:
 0 [English]
Using Language [English]

Would you like to display the readme? [Y]es [N]o
n

Would you like to display the components from [The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections]?
[Y]es, [N]o? 
Here is what weidu gives me. As you see i don't get that it can't find the translations. With a quick look, the only difference i can find is the first line. I get "bg1npc/bg1npc.tp2" where you get just the tp2 without folder.

Edit: It also says that it can't find "bg1npc/lib/bg1npc_always.tpa".

I don't know much about weidu so it may be irrelevant but is it possible that the mod wasn't correctly extracted ? Or maybe the files in the bg1npc directory have uppercase letter. Try running tolower inside the bg1npc directory. This way it will not mess with the EE files.

Edit2: I was in a hurry and i didn't explain ciopfs. There is an infrastructure in the linux kernel called FUSE which permits you to implement filesystems. ciopfs leverages this infrastructure to allow case-insensitive access. Let's see an example.

# mkdir tmp1 tmp2
# echo test > tmp1/one
# cat tmp1/ONE
cat: tmp1/ONE: No such file or directory
# cat tmp1/OnE
cat: tmp1/OnE: No such file or directory
Linux filesystems are case-sensitive so ONE, OnE are different files than one.

# ciopfs tmp1 tmp2
# cat tmp2/OnE
test
# cat tmp2/ONE
test
ciopfs allows you to "mount" the tmp1 directory to the tmp2 directory and present it like it was a new filesystem (if you used DOS in the old days, we used to do the same with virtual drives so we could make a directory appear like a cdrom to fool games that needed a cdrom).

You use ciopfs to mount the drive (maybe you need sudo in debian) and then, as you see, you can access the file with any combination of uppercase-lowercase letters.

# echo test2 > tmp1/TwO
# ls tmp2
one
The only requirement is that the files in the original directory must have all lowercase letters for ciopfs to work.

There is another way but is more cumbersome than using ciopfs. I don't use the EE engine because i don't like it but when i was testing BG2EE i didn't know about ciopfs so i did something different. I again used tolower and made every mod lowercase. Then the linux binary segfaulted because it couldn't find the bif files. I traced it to the entries in the chitin.key file. So i made a script that opened chitin.key and lowercased the appropriate fields. After that everything ran correctly :)

I think i reported it to the weidu forum and asked if weidu could only produce lowercase filenames in chitin.key because then everything would work out of the box but i think it was an enormous work squashing all the bugs that would appear just for the small number of users running EE on linux.

Edited by khelban12

Thanks for your help, again.

Weird. in my case it seems to work ok (though i can't install it because i only have BG2EE and not the first game)

% weinstall bg1npc 

Choose your language:
 0 [English]
Using Language [English]

n

Would you like to display the components from [The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections]?
[Y]es, [N]o? 
Here is what weidu gives me. As you see i don't get that it can't find the translations. With a quick look, the only difference i can find is the first line. I get "bg1npc/bg1npc.tp2" where you get just the tp2 without folder.

Edit: It also says that it can't find "bg1npc/lib/bg1npc_always.tpa".

I don't know much about weidu so it may be irrelevant but is it possible that the mod wasn't correctly extracted ? Or maybe the files in the bg1npc directory have uppercase letter. Try running tolower inside the bg1npc directory. This way it will not mess with the EE files.

I attempted weinstalling with the .tp2 and without. Same error.

To your next point—that's vexing me too: bg1npc_always.tpa is in the /lib/ folder. Additionally, the readme is there too so I'm not completely sure why the terminal is saying that it's not. Below are screenshots of the files in the folders.

post-10747-0-56275700-1543170120_thumb.png

post-10747-0-70809400-1543170183_thumb.png

I mean—maybe this is more obvious—in the ReadMe it says to put this all in the BG2 folder? I thought it was a typo but maybe I'm doing this incorrectly and it's that simple?

Edit2: I was in a hurry and i didn't explain ciopfs. There is an infrastructure in the linux kernel called FUSE which permits you to implement filesystems. ciopfs leverages this infrastructure to allow case-insensitive access. Let's see an example.

# mkdir tmp1 tmp2
# echo test > tmp1/one
# cat tmp1/ONE
cat: tmp1/ONE: No such file or directory
# cat tmp1/OnE
cat: tmp1/OnE: No such file or directory
Linux filesystems are case-sensitive so ONE, OnE are different files than one.
# ciopfs tmp1 tmp2
# cat tmp2/OnE
test
# cat tmp2/ONE
test
ciopfs allows you to "mount" the tmp1 directory to the tmp2 directory and present it like it was a new filesystem (if you used DOS in the old days, we used to do the same with virtual drives so we could make a directory appear like a cdrom to fool games that needed a cdrom).

You use ciopfs to mount the drive (maybe you need sudo in debian) and then, as you see, you can access the file with any combination of uppercase-lowercase letters.
# echo test2 > tmp1/TwO
# ls tmp2
one
The only requirement is that the files in the original directory must have all lowercase letters for ciopfs to work.

There is another way but is more cumbersome than using ciopfs. I don't use the EE engine because i don't like it but when i was testing BG2EE i didn't know about ciopfs so i did something different. I again used tolower and made every mod lowercase. Then the linux binary segfaulted because it couldn't find the bif files. I traced it to the entries in the chitin.key file. So i made a script that opened chitin.key and lowercased the appropriate fields. After that everything ran correctly :)

I think i reported it to the weidu forum and asked if weidu could only produce lowercase filenames in chitin.key because then everything would work out of the box but i think it was an enormous work squashing all the bugs that would appear just for the small number of users running EE on linux.

This sounds fascinating though potentially a lot of work? I might be misjudging it though. Actually, I was bumping around the fourm a bit yesterday and someone posted this thread which seems to be a similar method in which to subvert much of this. (Though it looks like Debian testing no longer has mkntfs as a command which is a not-so-wonderful dead-end.) I might follow up with the ciopfs method though and see how far I can get.

I really enjoyed the BG on my first play-though and I thought this might deepen the experience. I really appreciate the help.

Is it possible that you ran weinstall not from the base EE directory but from the bg1npc directory ?

In your screenshot you have weidu.log and setup-bg1npc.debug files inside the bg1npc folder. This gave me the impression that you ran weinstall from inside bg1npc and when i tried it, i indeed get the same translation errors you got.

That is exactly it—albeit with a couple of more issues.

In fact, initially, I put the full contents of the zipped folder into the main directory. After your last post, I decided to remove all of the folders and remnants of zipped folder. I redownloaded the bg1npc and put the unzipped folder itself into the BG main directory. Initially, as you mentioned, I attempted to weinstall inside the folder (I ran tolower in it and kind of assumed I would need to run the subsequent action after that). Now, a new issue though: the terminal is indicating that modmerge has not been run (I thought I ran it but my confidence in myself running the commands in the correct place or order is a bit rattled).

This is the output:

andrew@sindel:~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition$ weinstall bg1npc/

Choose your language:
 0 [English]
Using Language [English]

n

[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [The BG1 NPC Project: Portrait Changes and Additions]?
[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [The BG1 NPC Project: Romances]?
[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [The BG1 NPC Project: Tweaks]?
[Y]es, [N]o? y

Install Component [The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications]?

Installing [The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications] [v23.3]
FAILURE:
Modmerge is required before mods can be installed on this game. Check the readme for more information and a link to download Modmerge.

My first thought is that this might be a case issue. modmerge is named modmerge-linux. I've been running it in the main directory with ./modmerge-linux (after running chmod +x on it--this was kind of a guess) and it seems to run and even returns that I've run it already. Any more ideas?

FAILURE:

Modmerge is required before mods can be installed on this game. Check the readme for more information and a link to download Modmerge.

[/code]

My first thought is that this might be a case issue. modmerge is named modmerge-linux. I've been running it in the main directory with ./modmerge-linux (after running chmod +x on it--this was kind of a guess) and it seems to run and even returns that I've run it already. Any more ideas?

If you read the file lib/bg1npc_always.tpa, the first line checks for the file dlc/sod-dlc.zip and if it exists, it prints the error message you got. I am not familiar with modmerge so i don't know how it works. If i understood the GO code in github, it is supposed to rename the zip file to .zip.disabled when it finishes, so maybe modmerge didn't install completely ? Try re-running modmerge if you want or wait to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.

If you read the file lib/bg1npc_always.tpa, the first line checks for the file dlc/sod-dlc.zip and if it exists, it prints the error message you got. I am not familiar with modmerge so i don't know how it works. If i understood the GO code in github, it is supposed to rename the zip file to .zip.disabled when it finishes, so maybe modmerge didn't install completely ? Try re-running modmerge if you want or wait to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me.

This ended up being pretty sound advice. I removed the BG:EE directory (everything backed up) and reinstalled. But then...of course...another error:

andrew@sindel:~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition$ weinstall bg1npc/

Choose your language:
 0 [English]
Using Language [English]

n

[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [The BG1 NPC Project: Portrait Changes and Additions]?
[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [The BG1 NPC Project: Romances]?
[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [The BG1 NPC Project: Tweaks]?
[Y]es, [N]o? y

Install Component [The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications]?

BG:EE install detected.
Copying 1 file ...
Copying and patching 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...
loading 1 tra file
Copying 1 file ...
ERROR: BIFF [./DATA/ITEMS.BIF] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error(Unix.ENOENT, "stat", "./data/items.bif")

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [bolt01.itm] not found in KEY file:
	[./chitin.key]

ERROR Installing [The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 254 files for [bg1npc/bg1npc.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled    254 files for [bg1npc/bg1npc.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Failure("resource [bolt01.itm] not found for 'COPY'")
Using Language [English]

It's that wonderful feeling where you think something is working...and then, it doesn't.

loading 1 tra file

Copying 1 file ...

ERROR: BIFF [./DATA/ITEMS.BIF] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error(Unix.ENOENT, "stat", "./data/items.bif")

[./chitin.key]

I don't know what this means. Maybe it is a case issue ? I think it tried to copy bolt01.itm from the items.bif file but it can't access the bif file.

loading 1 tra file

Copying 1 file ...

[./chitin.key]

I don't know what this means. Maybe it is a case issue ? I think it tried to copy bolt01.itm from the items.bif file but it can't access the bif file.

Well, I'm not sure what happened. I made a rash decision and decided to go into /data/ and did tolower which broke things. I re-validated the game, removed the readded sod-dlc, ran the weinstall one more time because I thought it wouldn't hurt and it just completely installed. Now it won't start. Lol, this has been a real trip.