Opinions and suggestions for future versions

Wisp

I just finished BG1 part. I have a suggestion - can higher-tier items be distributed to the places that a player is less likely to miss?

My concern is this - when playing without randomizer, I generally know where to find items (or can look in a guide). When playing with it, I cannot. By the end of BG1, I discovered that I'm missing a tome of dexterity. I went throughout the spoilers and the locations and found it in Sunin's home. I actually killed Sunin before, but didn't bother to loot his house, only his body. I like to play knowing I'm going to find the items sooner or later, but thorough looting is too tedious.

I just finished BG1 part. I have a suggestion - can higher-tier items be distributed to the places that a player is less likely to miss?

My concern is this - when playing without randomizer, I generally know where to find items (or can look in a guide). When playing with it, I cannot. By the end of BG1, I discovered that I'm missing a tome of dexterity. I went throughout the spoilers and the locations and found it in Sunin's home. I actually killed Sunin before, but didn't bother to loot his house, only his body. I like to play knowing I'm going to find the items sooner or later, but thorough looting is too tedious.

I'm torn. On one hand, I'm not unsympathetic. On the other, I would imagine there are people who like finding loot in e.g., the Silvershield estate. More pragmatically, I don't think I could remove these out-of-the-way locations without either randomising fewer items or stacking higher piles of loot onto the remaining locations.

There was someone else who requested that random loot not be given to optional fights. I guess I could combine this with that, for some sort of "streamlined" option that would probably randomise fewer items (the more notable ones) and limit itself to surer locations. There is, of course, some subjectivity in what's a sure location, but that could perhaps be fine-tuned over time.

Edited by Wisp

1. I dont have a problem with optional fights because I havent played BG 1 before. On the other hand, giving two 28 tier items to Iron Throne mercenaries in Undercity is somewhat ridiculous - what is the point of getting these items at the end of the game?

2. Halberd +2 "Suryris blade" is not randomized - you could consider it ...

3. some additional thoughts - move Ulcaster location down to 27 or even 26 tier, with proper "tactics" it is possible to get one nifty item right from start and either move assasins in Cloakwood mines of Taugosz Khosann higher in the order - especialy former is a very tough fight imho ... :)

1. I dont have a problem with optional fights because I havent played BG 1 before. On the other hand, giving two 28 tier items to Iron Throne mercenaries in Undercity is somewhat ridiculous - what is the point of getting these items at the end of the game?

I suppose you are right. I'll look into moving those locations elsewhere.

2. Halberd +2 "Suryris blade" is not randomized - you could consider it ...

Zhalimar uses the weapon, which always makes me a bit wary of moving it. However, I suppose I'm more cavalier about such things today than I were originally. Maybe it can be moved without upsetting the balance of the battle too much, but it might be exclusive to mode 2.

3. some additional thoughts - move Ulcaster location down to 27 or even 26 tier, with proper "tactics" it is possible to get one nifty item right from start and either move assasins in Cloakwood mines of Taugosz Khosann higher in the order - especialy former is a very tough fight imho ... :)

I'll consider it. Thank you for your feedback.

There was someone else who requested that random loot not be given to optional fights. I guess I could combine this with that, for some sort of "streamlined" option that would probably randomise fewer items (the more notable ones) and limit itself to surer locations. There is, of course, some subjectivity in what's a sure location, but that could perhaps be fine-tuned over time.

This, too. At least, have an option to avoid it would be nice. I normally don't kill iron throne leaders, but in the last playthrough I did, and surprisingly found a tome of strength on them.

Interesting point about Zhalimar, but arent you a bit incosistent then? zhalimar-suryris blade,basilus-ashideena on the other hand koshi-celestial fury,zal-bracers of archery etc etc. :) :)

No, there has not been a consistent policy in dealing with equipped items. Equipped items are have mostly been randomised when they are notable and easily available, or when they are notable and/or some sort of replacement item can be arranged. Suryris' Blade is perhaps notable, but it is not easily available, and it's hard to arrange a replacement item without simply swapping it for a generic +1 halberd, so randomising it has not been a priority.

Interesting point about Zhalimar, but arent you a bit incosistent then? zhalimar-suryris blade,basilus-ashideena on the other hand koshi-celestial fury,zal-bracers of archery etc etc. :) :)

No, there has not been a consistent policy in dealing with equipped items. Equipped items are have mostly been randomised when they are notable and easily available, or when they are notable and/or some sort of replacement item can be arranged. Suryris' Blade is perhaps notable, but it is not easily available, and it's hard to arrange a replacement item without simply swapping it for a generic +1 halberd, so randomising it has not been a priority.

What do you mean with 'some sort of replacement'? Halberd +1 sounds fine to me and you can assign new location - there are still few unused out there (Doomsayer, ogre mages in BG, Revenant) ..

Anyway, its a awesome mod, good job :)

Anyway, its a fantastic mod

I know isn't a trivial suggestion/feature request, but I think it would add alot of flexibility to the existing behavior. After thinking at length about some of the other ideas I had inquired about in the DIY discussion thread, I think those ideas could easily be achieved with this proposed change.

I'd like to see an additional parameter added to the item and location lists files which is simply a percentage chance of including (or excluding) the given line item/location.

All current entries could simply default to 100% (or 0% for exclusion).

For example, for location lists of a given tier: a simple random check would be performed, and if failed the location would not be added to the tier location list at all. For items list, if the check was failed the item could either remain unrandomized (if from another location), or else be entirely omitted (if an addition).

This would allow the addition of perhaps easier locations for a given tier but make it less than certain (or even very rare) it would be used.

It would also allow the chance of adding (but not guaranteeing) extra items.

I'd like to see an additional parameter added to the item and location lists files which is simply a percentage chance of including (or excluding) the given line item/location.

This should be doable (albeit not entirely straightforward) under the condition that Ident-coupling remains. If item ABC has a 100 % chance of being included and location ABC has a 50 % chance of being included, item ABC will be excluded whenever location ABC is, regardless of the item's own inclusion chance.

Edit: for items excluded means the item is not randomised if it already exists in the game, or that the item is not added, if the item were to be added without being taken from somewhere. For locations, excluded means it will not be a location where random items can show up and that it will retain its original item if there is one (as determined by Ident).

Edited by Wisp