SCS AI and Damage Resist

Or in my latest playthrough, Bassilus, who seemingly refuses to fight any sort of melee character at all, and will only target mages no matter how much you have them flee across the map out of sight. Even when you trap him in between a group of fighters with no possible pathing to a mage, he won't fight any melee characters. What a jerk.

That's a bug in the cleric melee scripting; I'll look at it. Just to be clear: he's using melee weapons, can't actually hit any mages, is in reach of fighters, but doesn't attack them? Is this uniform or only after he's cast some particular spell? (I can't immediately see from the script how this could happen, so I'm a bit puzzled.)

Edited by DavidW

Hm, I'm not sure that's true for all enemies though.

I seem to remember that especially Gnolls just LOVE to run half a screen towards characters using ranged weapons despite melee characters being in range.

"In range" as in, much closer? Or "in range", as in, currently hitting them with their axe? SCS uses Range=4 as its normal trigger to engage (i.e. all enemies within Range=4 are attacked before seeking out anyone further away). And gnolls use the same AI as anyone else (at least, those gnolls affected by SCS, which should be basically all the ones in vanilla BG but won't catch any added by Beamdog).

I brought him down to the bottom of the screen in Red Canyon and trapped him between the cliffs with a couple of fighters while my mage sits above them, and then I just started wailing on him with melee and he would not attack anyone, still trying to get at the inaccessible mage. It seemed to be both before and after casting spells: I had just a fighter engage him, and he fights normally, but the second a mage is within even the edge of his vision, he makes a straight beeline for them and will not let up. Dude despises mages, I guess.

Probably doesn't make any difference, but:

DLTCEP_2018-10-20_18-59-05.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

"In range" as in, much closer? Or "in range", as in, currently hitting them with their axe? SCS uses Range=4 as its normal trigger to engage (i.e. all enemies within Range=4 are attacked before seeking out anyone further away). And gnolls use the same AI as anyone else (at least, those gnolls affected by SCS, which should be basically all the ones in vanilla BG but won't catch any added by Beamdog).

Hm, that is how I remember it. I seem to remember them stopping their melee attacks and start going after ranged characters.

I really don't want to send you on a wild goose chase based on what might just be my faulty memory though. So, unless other people report the same, it might not be worth looking into it any further.

Based on what you've said, what could have happened instead is that the Gnolls (and other melee based enemies) already picked their (ranged) target at the start of the encounter and simply ignored characters that entered their melee range and continued to pursue the ranged characters.

How often do SCS enemies re-evaluate their target once they are in pursuit?